BCN Barcelona flight connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BCN Barcelona flight connections

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Air Miles
Hopefully his plane isn't delayed.not sure why people always do these tight connections..
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
Originally Posted by beerup
...but EasyJet has online check-in available from 30 days before the flight, so the OP can check-in before leaving US!
But he has bags, so checking in really will not help much. As I said, if all goes well then no problem.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:03 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Personally, I'd say 'if all goes well - it will be jolly tight and stressfull'.

Do easyjet have multiple flights to MXP that day form BCN?
If so, easyjet have a policy whereby for a penalty fee you can get on the next easyjet flight if you miss yours and arrive at the airport within 2 hours of the original departure time.
I'd be expecting and prepared to pay it - because it would only take the slightest of things to delay you or your flight.
Don't expect any sympathy exemptions, etc.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by justforfun
But the OP has to check luggage, so it really doesn't matter if he can check in ahead of time. Still must be there by cut off time. It's definitely a tight connection. That AA flight, which I've take dozens of times, is quite often late.
Yes, I looked at the stats and the AA flight is on time 52% of the time, so we got a 50/50 chance. Does the flight ever arrive early?

The rescue fee if we miss the EasyJet connection is $80.00 US per passenger. The original ticket was $36.00 each, so only $144.00 for the four of us including two checked bags and assigned seats. $320.00 to catch the next flight is like they got you by the Cojones.

Last edited by EXPLAT; Jan 22, 2013 at 12:36 am
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by David-A
Personally, I'd say 'if all goes well - it will be jolly tight and stressfull'.

Do easyjet have multiple flights to MXP that day form BCN?
If so, easyjet have a policy whereby for a penalty fee you can get on the next easyjet flight if you miss yours and arrive at the airport within 2 hours of the original departure time.
I'd be expecting and prepared to pay it - because it would only take the slightest of things to delay you or your flight.
Don't expect any sympathy exemptions, etc.
Next departure is 1:50 pm - arrive 3:30pm but that will mess up our additional plans.

To throw more fuel on the fire, upon arrival in Milan, we are going to take the train into town, drop bags at the train station, visit the Duomo, go back to the train station and then take the afternoon train to Florence. Sunset's at 6:00pm so we would need to depart around four-ish to see the countryside go by.

If the AA flight is really delayed, we'll try and catch a flight to BLQ, PZA or FLR since FLR is our final destination, we would skip Milan. Our kids wanted to see the last supper by Michelangelo which require advance purchase tickets. Not sure what to do there.

Last edited by EXPLAT; Jan 22, 2013 at 12:38 am
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:21 pm

The last thing the OP needs on such a connection is wrong information...
There is NO train between terminals! There is a shuttle bus. Look at this official airport page for information: www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Barcelona/en/Page/1237554380406/.

And to the person that wrote that luggage delivery is quick at BCN: in my personal experience (BCN is my home airport) this is one of the slowest airports in Europe for luggage. And no, they don't care about priority tags. Probably don't even know what they mean...

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 19, 2013 at 3:13 pm Reason: moderator edited to highlight interterminal transport
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

duppe

Last edited by slawecki; Jan 26, 2013 at 6:14 am
Old Jan 23, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

we flew from bcn in feb to catch a UA tatl at one of the swiss airports. we left the main part of the terminal and the star alliance club and started to our gate. we didn not notice bus stop signs. we had been walking a long way when we came upon a sign and arrow. gate XXXYY 10 more minutes walk. only took about 8 min, but from lounge to gate was almost as long as lhr or fra, and i always thought of bcn as a small airport.

bcn is a major sports and convention town. my guess is if one gets a dump from either, that place is a zoo. 600 hotels in the town.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to forum members, we changed our AA tickets and are now flying in a day earlier. We'll arrive at BCN around 5:00pm. Stay overnight at the W Barcelona and then catch the Easyjet flight in the morning.

Was looking at catching the 10:00pm Easyjet flight as that would give us a five hour layover but the change fees and difference in fair was almost $500.00!

So well just hang out in Barcelona for the evening.

Tried to get reservations for Tickets restaurant but missed the 60 day reservation mark. Anyone know what time they open and if there's a chance to get in, 2 adults, 2 teenagers without a reservation? Other recommendations for terrific restaurants?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Thanks to forum members, we changed our AA tickets and are now flying in a day earlier. We'll arrive at BCN around 5:00pm. Stay overnight at the W Barcelona and then catch the Easyjet flight in the morning.

Was looking at catching the 10:00pm Easyjet flight as that would give us a five hour layover but the change fees and difference in fair was almost $500.00!

So well just hang out in Barcelona for the evening.

Tried to get reservations for Tickets restaurant but missed the 60 day reservation mark. Anyone know what time they open and if there's a chance to get in, 2 adults, 2 teenagers without a reservation? Other recommendations for terrific restaurants?
It's tremendously unlikely unfortunately, especially with a large(r) party. You could try a bit of local flavour in a tapas bar. Babia is a tapas bar located at 9 Carrer dels Sagristans which is about 20 minutes walk from the W. There's plenty of local flavour, excellent food (the bravas are to die for). There are plenty of other things going on in that neck of the woods as well.
Enjoy your (brief) stay in Barcelona! Feel free to PM me for any other advice.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks sigma421
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:32 pm

BCN / Barcelona transit & connection / connect times question

I'm looking at an award itin. PHX-MIA-BCN- (paid BCN-FLR) FLR-DUS-LAX-PHX in April. My connection in BCN is 110 minutes arriving from MIA and outbound on Vueling (IB Flight #). I'll have EU customs and immigration. So far, the AA from MIA is arriving on time or earlier.

The sector BCN-FLR is a paid ticket. Any thoughts on min, connect times as I'm not familiar with the airport ? I'll have few if any options if I miss the Vueling flight.

TIA.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

Moving to the proper forum. /JDiver, Senior Moderator

P.S. Please see the first post for further information.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 19, 2013 at 2:58 pm Reason: add post script
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by idainc
I'm looking at an award itin. PHX-MIA-BCN- (paid BCN-FLR) FLR-DUS-LAX-PHX in April. My connection in BCN is 110 minutes arriving from MIA and outbound on Vueling (IB Flight #). I'll have EU customs and immigration. So far, the AA from MIA is arriving on time or earlier.

The sector BCN-FLR is a paid ticket. Any thoughts on min, connect times as I'm not familiar with the airport ? I'll have few if any options if I miss the Vueling flight.

TIA.
110 minutes leaves you enough time for a delay of up to about 50 minutes on the MIA-BCN sector if you can get the luggage checked through. I'm not sure that you'll be able to get baggage interlined to Vueling and if not you'll have to reclaim your bags and check them in again at the Vueling desk. Baggage reclaim at BCN isn't particularly quick so you'd be starting to cut it fine here.
Do you absolutely have to fly to Florence? There's a Vueling flight to Pisa four days a week which departs at 15:40 and would give you a lot more wriggle room, if all checks out well you could head into Barcelona for a few hours.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by sigma421
110 minutes leaves you enough time for a delay of up to about 50 minutes on the MIA-BCN sector if you can get the luggage checked through. I'm not sure that you'll be able to get baggage interlined to Vueling and if not you'll have to reclaim your bags and check them in again at the Vueling desk. Baggage reclaim at BCN isn't particularly quick so you'd be starting to cut it fine here.
Do you absolutely have to fly to Florence? There's a Vueling flight to Pisa four days a week which departs at 15:40 and would give you a lot more wriggle room, if all checks out well you could head into Barcelona for a few hours.
Thanks. Sorry for late reply. AA res is advising not to especially since they do not know if they can interline the bags. Albeit an IB flight number on Vueling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.