Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calpe Spain (Looks Like Rio)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

Calpe Spain (Looks Like Rio)

Would Like to hear people's thoughts and experiences on Calpe. Surprised it isn't talked about more as it seems to be an underrated destination spot. Actually, Calpe looks a like Rio De Janeiro. Don't know how much similarity there is to Rio but perhaps nearby Cima Peņon De Ifach could pass for the Spanish version of Rio's rock formations.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 8:44 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
It's a standard Valencian seaside tourist town. Trust me that the peņķn is MUCH less impressive than anything around Rio.
Koby likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 7:15 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Agree with above comment. Nothing special there if you ask me. Mix of locals and tourists (read: foreigners).
Old Apr 2, 2024, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I climbed up to the top of Peņon de Ifach with friends back in my twenties (quite some time ago).

It’s VERY different now. You have to reserve a ticket (I understand they release 300 a day) but the biggest barrier against me returning is that my daughter is still too young to be allowed to climb.

Even if I feel OK mentally, my body trembles when I am at heights if there is any doubt at all about safety. I remember feeling very stressed and tense and trying to hide this whilst somehow keeping up with my companions.

I’ve never been to Rio but I have seen Black Narcissus, one of the most visually stunning movies ever made. A little inland from Calpe is El Castell De Guadalest and just below the castle itself is a Municipal Swimming Pool. Being there makes me imagine I am on the film set for this movie within a voluptuous Walter Percy Day painting that has somehow become manifest in the real world. It’s one of my absolute favourite places, anywhere.

As a part local (my Mother is an Alicantinian) we think of Calpe, Denia, Jávea and Altea as jewels of this area. Out of these, Altea has my heart (even as it groans under the weight of its popularity).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.