Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Standby

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2024, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Southwest Standby

How do you ask for stanby for an earlier flight on Southwest? Do you have to go to the airport to request or can you do it online or by phone? This is for a Wanna Get Away Fare.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 4:07 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I've not yet used the standby capability myself, but per Southwest Sameday and Standby Change it looks like you can request it through the app from your phone.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by holocker
How do you ask for stanby for an earlier flight on Southwest? Do you have to go to the airport to request or can you do it online or by phone? This is for a Wanna Get Away Fare.
examples, screen shots and data points in this thread: Same-Day Standby Expanded
Old Feb 9, 2024, 8:23 am

It works great through the app. Just be sure to check in with the customer service agent at the gate when you get there so they can clear you if seats are available. I didn't do this yesterday and noticed they started clearing folks out of order on the standby list (presumably because they were present at the gate and/or asked the CSA). It doesn't seem like they automatically clear you on to the flight like some airlines do. I made the flight and got C56 so it all worked out in the end.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 12:04 pm

I haven't been able to use the app for same day standby or change function. I assume it's because I have to book through my company's online booking tool. It tells me if I need to make a change to my reservation I have to contact my travel provider. I have been able to get the gate agents to put me on the standby list, but when I've tried to do same day change they tell me I have to pay the fare difference.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 12:42 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Concur is a horror show if that's what you are forced to use. Could never do anything once I made a reservation there other than cancel the entire PNR and use the funds in my personal account.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 3:51 pm

Third-party or GDS bookings should allow for same-day changes (either standby or confirmed) via the app or website. You do need to wait until the day of departure, however. If you try to make the change too early, the app or website will tell you to contact your travel arranger to make the change.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 5:14 pm

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
I haven't been able to get cleared on standby by requesting on the app, without being at the airport and talking with the agent. Not as useful functionality as I'd hoped for as I typically don't want to go to the airport for an earlier flight if I'm not sure I'm cleared to be on it.
jjbiv likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2024, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Can you request standby at 12:01 am local time on the day of your departure? If when you go to book the flight the app does not show a certain number of seats avaialble in the app is that a pretty good indication there are plenty of open seats on the flight you want? Looking at flights tomorrow the flights at higher pricing show show wanna get away and wanna get away+ unavaialble with Anytime and Business Select 2 left. Cheaper flights show 2 left for wanna get away and wanna get away+ fares and no specific number for Anytime and Business Select.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
Concur is a horror show if that's what you are forced to use. Could never do anything once I made a reservation there other than cancel the entire PNR and use the funds in my personal account.
We are forced to use Concur unfortunately.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 9:22 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Me too. My solution was to use Concur to book a flight and if I needed to change it, I would cancel it but have the funds held and use the PNR in my personal account and expense any small change cost. Accounting PITA but it worked.
Old Feb 10, 2024, 4:20 pm

Can you request standby at 12:01 am local time on the day of your departure? If when you go to book the flight the app does not show a certain number of seats avaialble in the app is that a pretty good indication there are plenty of open seats on the flight you want? Looking at flights tomorrow the flights at higher pricing show show wanna get away and wanna get away+ unavaialble with Anytime and Business Select 2 left. Cheaper flights show 2 left for wanna get away and wanna get away+ fares and no specific number for Anytime and Business Select.
Yes, you can list yourself for standby after midnight in the time zone of the departure airport. The app or website will show you how many seats are open, which is a very nice feature. You will need to check with a CSA at the gate to get cleared from the list, in my experience.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 6:46 am
Original Poster

When I try to checking for standby on a different flight it says See Agent. Are you unable to check in for standby on a conecting flight? Right now shows 9 open for first flight and 33 for second?
Old Feb 17, 2024, 7:20 am

When I try to checking for standby on a different flight it says See Agent. Are you unable to check in for standby on a conecting flight? Right now shows 9 open for first flight and 33 for second?
From Southwest.com: https://www.southwest.com/airfare-ty...tandby-change/

Why am I being directed to speak with a Southwest Customer Service Agent at the airport?

You may need to speak with a Customer Service Agent to be added to the same-day standby list for a variety of reasons, including, but not limited to:

You are attempting to add yourself to the same-day standby list less than 30 minutes prior to your desired flight's scheduled departure.
Your desired itinerary change may result in a collection or refund of taxes and fees.
You are traveling on an international itinerary.
Your desired itinerary change will result in a different connection city than your confirmed itinerary.
You are attempting to add yourself to the same-day standby list in your connection city.
You are trying to list for a flight later than your original flight.
Keep in mind that group bookings and Unaccompanied Minors are not eligible for same-day standby.
Old Feb 17, 2024, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
In my experience, if you have a connecting flight and you already completed the first flight, the system won't let you do it. Just go to the gate of the flight you want to standby for at least 35 minutes before departure and they can help you there as long as give you a realistic expectation of whether you will clear or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.