Southwest Standby

Old May 16, 2024, 1:28 pm

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
Originally Posted by avogadro
I'm A-list with a companion pass.

If I book a cheap flight and then do a same day change to a more expensive flight, I'll get to board between A and B correct?

Will my companion get to board with me or will she get the last position available?

yes you can board between A and B, and no, if your companion isn't A list, they won't board with you, they will board at their boarding position. Although companion may not get the last position if an earlier boarding pass position gets recycled and assigned.
Old May 16, 2024, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by avogadro
I'm A-list with a companion pass.

If I book a cheap flight and then do a same day change to a more expensive flight, I'll get to board between A and B correct?

Will my companion get to board with me or will she get the last position available?
Yes, you will get to board between A and B.

Your companion -- that's up to the Ops Agent. I think the official answer is they don't get to board with you, but I've asked and been told it's OK.
Old May 17, 2024, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by zachary
Yes, you will get to board between A and B.

Your companion -- that's up to the Ops Agent. I think the official answer is they don't get to board with you, but I've asked and been told it's OK.
I have received conflicting answers and it's very annoying. The policy as written also seems conflicting. Most of the time they say no.
Old May 17, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Just save her a seat. If its a middle, no one will care.
smmrfld and lougord99 like this.
Old May 18, 2024, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold
I'd just ask the gate agent if it would be OK if your wife can board with you.
Old May 20, 2024, 9:45 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Same-day change policy on overnight itinerary?

Was looking for purchasing an itinerary traveling from PIT to SEA and saw that one itinerary was $150 cheaper, but an overnight itinerary leaving Denver the next day. My originating flight does have a valid connection itinerary for the last flight to Seattle that same day. After flying the originating flight to the connecting city(DEN), does WN allow for standby for the earlier flight prior night? I understand, baggage might not move to the new flight, if this is allowed.

If not, do you think WN would change the policy to including overnight connecting flights.

Jiburi
Old May 22, 2024, 12:59 pm

Post In my experience, SWA app does not confirm me if space opens up

A List PFD & I have been #1 on the list at 12:01am multiple times and watched as lower numbers than me suddenly appeared as cleared over the hours. Additionally, I NEVER got an automated text message saying that a seat was available. I have, however, seen a seat become available and then free same day changed myself in the app (but had to cancel off standby list first). My point is that you can not count on their system to automatically offer you the next available seat.

Brand new on Flyertalk and hope this isn't in the wrong place or format- I searched this thread and did not see anything about this known issue.
Old May 22, 2024, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bulls_Fan
A List PFD & I have been #1 on the list at 12:01am multiple times and watched as lower numbers than me suddenly appeared as cleared over the hours. Additionally, I NEVER got an automated text message saying that a seat was available. I have, however, seen a seat become available and then free same day changed myself in the app (but had to cancel off standby list first). My point is that you can not count on their system to automatically offer you the next available seat.

Brand new on Flyertalk and hope this isn't in the wrong place or format- I searched this thread and did not see anything about this known issue.
Welcome! I think the assumption is, STANDBYs aren't cleared until the GAs process the flight, so wouldn't clear STANDBY until T-1 hour, or so. The pax that "clear" early may be doing Same Day CHANGE, as you've mentioned you've done.
jjbiv likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Welcome! I think the assumption is, STANDBYs aren't cleared until the GAs process the flight, so wouldn't clear STANDBY until T-1 hour, or so. The pax that "clear" early may be doing Same Day CHANGE, as you've mentioned you've done.
I don't THINK that's the case as in order to same day change, I have to remove myself from the standby list. I just confirmed this by testing on my flight this afternoon while sitting here. I went on standby for a wide open flight and showed as #1 of 6. After trying to sameday change, it told me I had to not be on standby. Went back to the list to cancel and saw that the previous #2 had now cleared- and this flight doesn't board for over 3 hours from now.

I am guessing that OP absolutely had to make that flight and decided to pay for a same day change when they saw me go ahead on the list? No idea if I would have shown as cleared if I had changed, since I didn't to keep my current boarding position...

Last edited by Bulls_Fan; May 22, 2024 at 2:03 pm Reason: additional thought
Old May 22, 2024, 2:14 pm

I don't THINK that's the case as in order to same day change, I have to remove myself from the standby list. I just confirmed this by testing on my flight this afternoon while sitting here. I went on standby for a wide open flight and showed as #1 of 6. After trying to sameday change, it told me I had to not be on standby. Went back to the list to cancel and saw that the previous #2 had now cleared- and this flight doesn't board for over 3 hours from now.

I am guessing that OP absolutely had to make that flight and decided to pay for a same day change when they saw me go ahead on the list? No idea if I would have shown as cleared if I had changed, since I didn't to keep my current boarding position...
Did you same-day CHANGE? If so, give me the flight, I'll book a seat and see what the standby list looks like now

And concerning the OP, we agree, they probably did a CHANGE, either free with status or fare type, or paid, or went to TICKETING and got that agent to give them a boarding position, maybe helped by having a bag to check and the TICKETING agent did a favor and went ahead and gave them a boarding position.

Last edited by dmbolp; May 22, 2024 at 2:29 pm
Old May 29, 2024, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Plat, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
So, we hold a Wanna Getaway + ticket. Does it mean we could do a same-day change on line without going to the airport?
Old May 29, 2024, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by eddie1973
So, we hold a Wanna Getaway + ticket. Does it mean we could do a same-day change on line without going to the airport?
Old May 29, 2024, 5:57 pm

Yes- although the app sometimes glitches and you dont get a confirming email

But the new flight does show up on the app(screenshot it!)
Old May 29, 2024, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier Plat, Hertz 5*, HH Gold
But the new flight does show up on the app(screenshot it!)
thanks for clarifying!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.