Community
Wiki Posts
Search

737 MAX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:46 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by nsx
More seats for me. If I get 3 seats I can sleep all the way!

Unfortunately my short-haul flights rarely were allocated a MAX8 when it was flying.
Agree. More seats for me too. I did fly them a lot on both, WN & UA, my two go to airlines. I know they did not schedule them (ETOPS certify them) for Hawaii service, which is now showing a lot in my near future, but would be great to have them scheduled there.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
FAA issues new rules for operations 737-MAX jets.

FAA issues new rules for the operation of 737 MAX jets ? Explore the sky above

The public has 30 days to comment on the document. Boeing is finalizing changes to a flight-control system linked to two crashes, in Indonesia and Ethiopia, that killed 346 people. The manufacturer is also altering the plane’s flight-control computers after tests showed they were vulnerable to failure.

The company must complete an audit of the software changes and test the revised system in flight simulators with a variety of pilots. In addition to signing off on the redesign, the FAA is devising new pilot training.

One of the more technical steps in the process is to revise what’s known as the Master Minimum Equipment List, which lays out conditions under which an operator can fly the aircraft with a variety of malfunctions.

Major breakdowns require that a plane get fixed before the flight, but airlines can fly with relatively minor malfunctions if there are adequate backups and repairs are performed within a prescribed time.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
https://www.flightglobal.com/air-tra...135744.article

FAA will not certify 737 Max in 2019: FAA chief

sdsearch likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by N830MH
https://www.flightglobal.com/air-tra...135744.article

FAA will not certify 737 Max in 2019: FAA chief

Would not be surprised at all to see the same message with 2020 substituted later next year.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:12 pm

If the FAA had been around in 1903 the Wright Brothers would have never gotten off the ground.
I've heard that in 1962 when making The Longest Day the producers constructed a number of Horsa gliders and intended to reenact the Pegasus Bridge assault. The aviation authorities refused to allow it the guliders to be used as the were deemed unairworthy. Eventually they were transported across the channel and used as props.
joshua362 and steved5480 like this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 3:40 pm

WSJ is reporting Boeing may announce as soon as tomorrow that that max production will be reduced or could even be halted. This will be giving them problems for years to come.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I said it month's ago - MAX is as good as dead. The only question is whether it will taint the remaining Boeing products and whether they can re-engineer and retool fast enough to get a new design from scratch. Alas the design and production cycle is pretty long... and hence the reason they made the ill-fated decision to go with the current design. Penny wise, pound foolish.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 6:13 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I said it month's ago - MAX is as good as dead. The only question is whether it will taint the remaining Boeing products and whether they can re-engineer and retool fast enough to get a new design from scratch. Alas the design and production cycle is pretty long... and hence the reason they made the ill-fated decision to go with the current design. Penny wise, pound foolish.
Months ago, I thought there was a remote chance that the very last A380 flight will fly years after the last 737 max. I assumed the FAA would figure out a way to strong arm the other global aviation authorities to go along with the plan. Right now there is a fair chance the A380 will live longer than the max.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I think there is 0 chance the Max doesn’t fly and become a large fleet.

Boing has to much clout for anything else to happen.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I wish the OP would change the title. I keep clicking on it thinking I would read something about the Max - instead it is about a looney toon mayor.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99

Risk of unraveling is intolerable.

"Boeing is the country’s largest exporter, and the inability to deliver 737 MAXs to overseas airlines has already widened the 2019 trade deficit. As the U.S. heads into a presidential election year, job losses from a production shutdown will heighten political concern and possibly add to pressure on the FAA to speed up its review of the MAX."
Old Dec 15, 2019, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99

Unfortunately there is a greater than 0% chance that another MAX will crash in its current state. If another one goes down soon after they take flight, they will be in an even worse position than they are in now. It is better at this point to take as much time as needed to get as close to perfection as possible. Otherwise, they will completely lose any shred of credibility they have left should anything go wrong.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Unfortunately there is a greater than 0% chance that another MAX will crash in its current state. If another one goes down soon after they take flight, they will be in an even worse position than they are in now. It is better at this point to take as much time as needed to get as close to perfection as possible. Otherwise, they will completely lose any shred of credibility they have left should anything go wrong.
If another one were to crash, I would think they are totally and completely screwed. There will be absolute hell to pay for that and rightfully so.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
WSJ is reporting Boeing may announce as soon as tomorrow that that max production will be reduced or could even be halted. This will be giving them problems for years to come.
I guess those are the consequences for putting profits above safety. Let it be a lesson that it's a bad idea to try to sneak a brand new plane into the world by pretending it's a plane it's not and by pretending pilots won't need any training.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 10:49 pm

The Max is unlikely to ever fly again in commercial service.
Boraxo, expert7700, oopsz and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.