Community
Wiki Posts
Search

737 MAX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2021, 11:08 am

Former Boeing executive indicted for fraud in 737 Max tragedy

Obviously he's just a fall-guy, I'd be shocked if Boeing execs weren't aware of what he was doing. And if they hadn't promised Southwest that pilots wouldn't need simulator time on the new airframe the situation might have been very different.
Tanic and N830MH like this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 11:51 am

[Allegedly] leaving a paper trail documenting how he snowed the regulators. He volunteered for "fall guy" duty. Doesn't exonerate Boeing execs.

Good thing he took the buyout.
Tanic, DenverBrian and steved5480 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
We are flying on the 737-MAX8 from HOU-PHX. I am looking forward to it. I haven’t flew on -MAX8 for 4 years now.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 3:02 pm

On a MAX now for a 21 minute flight LIH-HNL
Old Oct 19, 2021, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaMD88
The MAX (and -800) are the more comfortable planes in the fleet, I try to avoid the -700 whenever possible.
Until it nose dives into the ground.
jmw and DenverBrian like this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 10:31 pm

How often do planes get swapped? I booked a flight that is not a MAX, and the route does not seem to use MAX planes if I check other days, but I really don't want to fly the MAX. If I see that it's a MAX I will ask to be rebooked on another flight, but I really don't want to have to do that. I am flying Southwest for this flight because I am moving and taking advantage of their baggage policy.

Also, is there anyway to know about a swap other than physically looking at the plane myself?

Last edited by oreocookies; Oct 19, 2021 at 10:45 pm
Old Oct 19, 2021, 10:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
At this point I'd feel safer on a MAX than most any other plane. No way it would have been recertified if there was any doubt at all.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
At this point I'd feel safer on a MAX than most any other plane. No way it would have been recertified if there was any doubt at all.
Just like how it wouldn't have been certified in the first place if there was any doubt at all?
Tanic, Boraxo, jmw and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 11:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by oreocookies
Just like how it wouldn't have been certified in the first place if there was any doubt at all?
Not quite.

Boeing and the FAA looked like idiots the first time and I guarantee you they don't want to see it play out a second time.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by oreocookies
There weren't any doubts since Boeing said nothing major had changed and since the pre-existing fuselage of the NG was being used, the FAA took Boeing's word at it. Since that gaffe the FAA has looked into every single crevice, nook and cranny they could push their eyeballs in to avoid another embarrassment. The MAX is the safest thing flying at the moment, but you knew that already.
smmrfld, 737MAX8 and wakesetter93 like this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 12:17 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Not quite. Boeing and the FAA looked like idiots the first time and I guarantee you they don't want to see it play out a second time.
There is a reason the FAA is known as "The Tombstone Agency." It is well earned.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 12:43 pm

Boeing and the FAA looked like idiots the first time and I guarantee you they don't want to see it play out a second time.
I have to think Forkner isn't going down without a fight. His lawyers are going to drag in all his bosses and the picture they will be able to paint to the jury won't be pretty for Boeing.

Boeing had postponed a brand-new narrow body project for too long. Narrow window getting a product out before the foreign competitor won market domination for the next decade. The FAA also has a lot of skin in all this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 3:37 pm
jmw

Not quite.

As soon as people forget, Boeing and the FAA will go back to the status quo again even for the 737 Max. I still don't trust either of them or the 737Max. The longer the 737 Max flies since the return, the more antsy I get that Boeing and FAA will go back to hiding flaws in the 737 Max and other Boeing aircraft especially flaws that won't show for 5+ years. As I said two years ago, I still today trust the Chinese aviation authorities more than the FAA and Boeing when it comes to the safety of ANY Boeing aircraft including the 737Max.
Boraxo and DenverBrian like this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by jmw
As soon as people forget, Boeing and the FAA will go back to the status quo again even for the 737 Max. I still don't trust either of them or the 737Max. The longer the 737 Max flies since the return, the more antsy I get that Boeing and FAA will go back to hiding flaws in the 737 Max and other Boeing aircraft especially flaws that won't show for 5+ years. As I said two years ago, I still today trust the Chinese aviation authorities more than the FAA and Boeing when it comes to the safety of ANY Boeing aircraft including the 737Max.
So, how are you able to fly at all in the US ?

I don't think there is any US airline where you can reliably fly an Airbus.

Perhaps you can fly only regionals if you trust Embraer.
wakesetter93 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 6:09 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by lougord99
So, how are you able to fly at all in the US ?

I don't think there is any US airline where you can reliably fly an Airbus.

Perhaps you can fly only regionals if you trust Embraer.
I don't have a choice that doesn't require jumping through a lot of difficult hooks like many other objectionable things in life such as paying the IRS to fund the US military. I have to pray that the Chinese and whoever else are motivated enough to embarrass Boeing and the US to ensure my safety because I sure don't trust the FAA and Boeing to do that. That's why I don't buy that the 737 Max is the safest plane in the world due to scrutiny. That scrutiny is fading with every passing day. Maybe I'd change my mind on it if a single Boeing C-level executive or FAA C-level executive actually went to jail for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.