Community
Wiki Posts
Search

seat saving

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by justhere
True, but the evidence points to that assumption being correct.
What evidence is that?
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
There is no way to really tell if people care or not, and responses will run across the spectrum. Some won't notice. Some won't care, some will but it will be forgotten in a few minutes, some will dwell on it, some will be feel royally screwed by it and get angry...and even some of those angry ones won't go as far as to make a statement or a post on the internet. The statement that the majority don't care however is an assumption, and should not be taken as a statement of fact.
Just correcting your post.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Just correcting your post.
Incorrectly. Some WILL BE screwed by it. The ones that paid 25 for EBCI and had that devalued for example. The ones with mid to high B's who lose on the last windows or aisles due to people saving them for C companions as well, who get forced in the middle.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:09 pm

Even here the evidence points to only a few of the same people obsessing over seat saving.
Casual indifference on open seating challenges may be misplaced.

USAToday survey 09/18/2018
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by LegalTender

USAToday survey 09/18/2018
The Survey had only 1,200 responses.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:30 pm
Suspended

They must magically have polled just those people annoyed by the open seating issues
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:31 pm

Every data point alongside "millions of enplanements" is fake news?

Last edited by LegalTender; Oct 12, 2018 at 1:55 pm
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
1000 years from now people will still be rehashing this same stuff.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:35 pm

They must magically have polled just those people annoyed by the open seating issues
I believe it was an online poll and only those who didn't like Opens Seating responded. IN any event being annoyed by Open Seating is not the sa,e thing as seat saving. The vast majority of people who board Southwest flights do not encounter seat saving. I would prefer if they went to assigned seating and I've said so here many times. I just don't thingk seat saving is a bad or as rampant as a few people seem to thing.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 2:36 pm

Every data point alongside "millions of enplanements" is fake news?
Open Seating is not the same as seat saving.
camaross likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:02 pm

Open Seating is not the same as seat saving.
Obviously. It's a component. Hence the term, "open seating challenges."

But seat saving on other airlines is less a flash point.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I know I'm the outlier here beating a dead horse, but I've walked to the very back of an empty plane holding A-16 more times than I can count, and each and every time I land at the same time as the people in sitting in row 2- PLUS, going on ~80% of the time I've got a free middle, and > ~60% of the time an entire row. Seeing how WN's seat pitch is among the highest in the industry and at every seat, at 6'3" 220 I've never felt cramped back there so I don't get the whole "exit row fetish" (especially since the armrests don't go up) and would rather have the "horizontal" space since the "vertical" space is the same on 95% of the seats.

... but since Gary and Co. make nearly four hundred million(!!) dollars a year selling people on "front" seats if that $$ means more frequency or lower fares or more planes, or even higher wages for the aircrew, who am I to complain about folks' irrational behaviors?

Anyway, see y'all at the same rental car counter/ride-share line/bag claim area/connection.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19

I love how "FAs trying to be funny" got on the board. God Bless my B&Os!
LegalTender likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
What evidence is that?
Even if we assume that the number of seat saving complaints is a small percentage of the number of people who know they have been affected by a seat saver, the number affected is still statistically minimal compared to the number of enplanements.

It's not much of a stretch then to say that most people aren't affected.

Even the poll that was just posted provides some indication of this. The poll is skewed because it is only asking about complaints so people who don't have one of those complaints aren't likely to respond. It also presents the seat saving question as the first question. However, taking the numbers as meaningful, less than half of customer complaints are about seat saving and that's only based on the few complaints offered.

But if you then assume that 50% of all complaints are about seat saving (which the odds are that it isn't that high) that's still a very small number compared to the number of enplanements.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 9:28 am

The same link has a mirror survey. Fliers nominate their favorite things about SWA. Open seating fans are MIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.