Community
Wiki Posts
Search

seat saving

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:11 am

The fact of the matter is that seat saving rarely affects anyone. In all of my flights I have never seen a confrontation. I am often asked courteously if someone is sitting in the middle seat next to me. A few people seem to want to make it into a bigger issue than it is.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The fact of the matter is that seat saving rarely affects anyone. In all of my flights I have never seen a confrontation. I am often asked courteously if someone is sitting in the middle seat next to me. A few people seem to want to make it into a bigger issue than it is.
Funny part is that if the person doesn't give up the seat the person trying to take it might get tossed off the flight..........as well as the seat saver.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
I only save a middle seat....never had a problem!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:55 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Often1
There are also no seat assignments and thus no need for a policy prohibiting the conduct.

Bottom line is that nothing prevents another passenger from saying that that they are saving a seat for another and nothing prohibits some other passenger from occupying the seat despite the request of the original passenger.

While there are however many threads about this, WN does not get into the middle of the issue and only intervenes when the situation gets out of hand.

While it would be nice if WN dealt with the issue by simply announcing that passengers with non-adjoining positions who wish to remain together are free to board with the lowest number in the group, that will never happen.

All of this means that meek people shuffle off to their second or third choice while those who don't fall for poor behavior get to sit where they want. Pity.

Not all the time. There is a thread on the southwest forum where a passenger was denied a seat in the exit row because the FA said the one person sitting there had saved the seats.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
The fact of the matter is that seat saving rarely affects anyone.
As a single flyer, I feel I'm almost totally unaffected by seat saving. On another thread, though, I was told I was wrong. How about that! All these years, I've been a victim, and didn't even realize it!
justhere likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:54 am

How do you know if a pax is not annoyed/irritated when a desired seat is saved? The fact of the matter is that seat saving rarely results in a confrontation.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
How do you know if a pax is not annoyed/irritated when a desired seat is saved? The fact of the matter is that seat saving rarely results in a confrontation.
But it frequently results in online rumble. There's less urge to go to war if you can spout off anonymously. It's what corporate calls a lasting truce.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:27 pm
Suspended

WN doesn't have a formal policy either way, because they lack the courage to implement something that would preserve the value of extra revenue products like EBCI, BS and A-List. Their policy is to not take a side.

However, it is ostensibly first come, first served. So you can take any seat that doesn't have someone sitting in it and ignore someone claiming to save it. That person is only entitled to the seat they are in, not any of the others.

I run into this quite a bit with exit row seats. I just take the seat and let the other person stew in it. Nobody has tried to get the FA to move me yet. But I have witnessed it between other pax a few times, and the FA usually says something along the lines of not getting involved or "any open seat". And a seat intended for someone who has yet to board, or who is behind you in boarding order, is OPEN, despite what their companions say.
bkcarolina likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
WN doesn't have a formal policy either way, because they lack the courage to implement something that would preserve the value of extra revenue products like EBCI, BS and A-List. Their policy is to not take a side.
At first glance this makes sense but what of the days before the extra revenue products, pre 2008(?) ?

I think the no-policy policy was in effect then too?
Finkface likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Since I don't get anywhere near the perks I'm entitled to (no pre-boarding, no family boarding, no CP... Its rough being a single flyer!) maybe I'll start saving the middle seat next to me on every flight. That way, no one will ever claim it if the flight is anything short of 100% full. Maybe if I feel lucky, I'll save middle AND aisle.... Was the flight crowded? I dunno: I had a whole row to myself!

I'm a genius!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
As a single flyer, I feel I'm almost totally unaffected by seat saving. On another thread, though, I was told I was wrong. How about that! All these years, I've been a victim, and didn't even realize it!
The great news is that as a victim you now qualify to take your emotional support monkey on board with you.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Southwest A-list Preferred, Delta Million Miler
I boarded a flight from LAS to MCI last week. A woman in the aisle was saving 2 seats next to her in the front of the plane. I asked to please allow me to grab the window seat. She said her friends were “both” in the restroom in the front of the plane (she pointed frontwards). I educated her that the forward lavatory has only one stall and that 2 people both couldn’t be in the lavatory. She ignored me. As much as I wanted to sit down anyway, I moved on, at least 10 rows further back. Towards the end of the C Group her friends boarded the plane and sat down. Really burned me, but I didn’t want a confrontation at 7:30am. Arrggghhh!!!!!
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
The great news is that as a victim you now qualify to take your emotional support monkey on board with you.
Or a crazy squirrel like just happened on another airline.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshua362
At first glance this makes sense but what of the days before the extra revenue products, pre 2008(?) ?

I think the no-policy policy was in effect then too?
Then it only amounted to a kind of line cutting. While the system was still first come, first served...it wasn't as if someone had shelled out 40 bucks for a better boarding position which was knocked back several numbers by a handful of seat savers on each flight.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by boeing727
I boarded a flight from LAS to MCI last week. A woman in the aisle was saving 2 seats next to her in the front of the plane. I asked to please allow me to grab the window seat. She said her friends were “both” in the restroom in the front of the plane (she pointed frontwards). I educated her that the forward lavatory has only one stall and that 2 people both couldn’t be in the lavatory. She ignored me. As much as I wanted to sit down anyway, I moved on, at least 10 rows further back. Towards the end of the C Group her friends boarded the plane and sat down. Really burned me, but I didn’t want a confrontation at 7:30am. Arrggghhh!!!!!
See this would not bother me (except for the lying the saver felt compelled to do). An non special window seat a few rows back, what is the big deal to help out your fellow man? When I go to/from LAS with a few buddies I would want the same courtesy. Walking 10 rows more really burned you?
rickg523 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.