Community
Wiki Posts
Search

seat saving

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

seat saving

Does WN still have a policy that it neither permits nor prohibits saving seats? If so, what does that mean, in practice?

Let's say I board a flight, and someone is purporting to save a seat (or, perhaps, several seats). I say "I would like to sit in that seat, please." The seat-saving passenger responds "I am saving that seat for my friend who is in Boarding group C." I respond: "WN has an open-seating policy and I can select any seat I want, and I am sitting in this one" -- and I proceed to sit. What does WN flight attendant do?

I an NOT saying that I would ever actually do this. My question is just about how WN flight attendants actually handle these situations, when they arise.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Chamor
Does WN still have a policy that it neither permits nor prohibits saving seats? If so, what does that mean, in practice?

Let's say I board a flight, and someone is purporting to save a seat (or, perhaps, several seats). I say "I would like to sit in that seat, please." The seat-saving passenger responds "I am saving that seat for my friend who is in Boarding group C." I respond: "WN has an open-seating policy and I can select any seat I want, and I am sitting in this one" -- and I proceed to sit. What does WN flight attendant do?

I an NOT saying that I would ever actually do this. My question is just about how WN flight attendants actually handle these situations, when they arise.
If you search "seat saving" on this board, you'll come up with several recent, lengthy, entertaining, and heated threads on this topic.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please, please search for this subject before starting yet another thread where all the same people are going to say all the same things all over again.
You don't even have to use the search function. Just go to the WN forum and scroll through the threads. There has to be at least 4 recent threads about this.
It's really really tired.
WN tacitly allows seat saving and unless it's extremely egregious or ends up in a fight the cabin crew will not intervene.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by rickg523
You don't even have to use the search function. Just go to the WN forum and scroll through the threads. There has to be at least 4 recent threads about this.
Probably won't even have to scroll. Its likely to be on Page 1
Old Oct 2, 2018, 3:01 pm

What a great idea for a thread that hasn't been addressed ad naseum yet.
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite

Well for one thing, if they are saving a seat, then they aren't purporting to. 😉
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Just sit down and ignore the seat saver. If the seat saver throws a fit, then the cabin crew will intervene and remove the offending passenger. Don't let these people drag you down into the gutter by yelling back or arguing or whatever. Just sit.
Tanic, Often1 and steved5480 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Just sit down and ignore the seat saver. If the seat saver throws a fit, then the cabin crew will intervene and remove the offending passenger. Don't let these people drag you down into the gutter by yelling back or arguing or whatever. Just sit.
There's no policy AGAINST doing exactly this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:56 pm

Does WN still have a policy that it neither permits nor prohibits saving seats?
My wife loves these kinds of questions. Her absolute favorite is "Do these pants make my butt look fat?"
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Allan38103
There's no policy AGAINST doing exactly this.
There are also no seat assignments and thus no need for a policy prohibiting the conduct.

Bottom line is that nothing prevents another passenger from saying that that they are saving a seat for another and nothing prohibits some other passenger from occupying the seat despite the request of the original passenger.

While there are however many threads about this, WN does not get into the middle of the issue and only intervenes when the situation gets out of hand.

While it would be nice if WN dealt with the issue by simply announcing that passengers with non-adjoining positions who wish to remain together are free to board with the lowest number in the group, that will never happen.

All of this means that meek people shuffle off to their second or third choice while those who don't fall for poor behavior get to sit where they want. Pity.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:30 pm

I love these threads, in all of my WN flights I have never seen a person take a saved seat. I guess all the internet tough guys are on different flights, lol............EBCI may provide me with entertainment also as I am waiting for the day where I see this happen.
joshua362, justhere and rickg523 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Often1
There are also no seat assignments and thus no need for a policy prohibiting the conduct.

Bottom line is that nothing prevents another passenger from saying that that they are saving a seat for another and nothing prohibits some other passenger from occupying the seat despite the request of the original passenger.

While there are however many threads about this, WN does not get into the middle of the issue and only intervenes when the situation gets out of hand.

While it would be nice if WN dealt with the issue by simply announcing that passengers with non-adjoining positions who wish to remain together are free to board with the lowest number in the group, that will never happen.

All of this means that meek people shuffle off to their second or third choice while those who don't fall for poor behavior get to sit where they want. Pity.
It's highest number (i.e. later, not cutting the line)
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
It's highest number (i.e. later, not cutting the line)
Preboarding aside, who gets to board first? I.E. who is at the top of the list to board first? A1. So A1 is the highest number when it comes to boarding order. Certainly confusing and without context I would agree that I think most people think of 1 being lower than 2.

In the context of boarding order I think it makes sense that 1 is higher up the list then 2.

Curious how other folks think about it.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by justhere
Curious how other folks think about it.
While technically you are probably both correct, I think most people would consider A-1 to be a low boarding number, and C-60 (or whatever) to be a high one.
ursine1 and steved5480 like this.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
While technically you are probably both correct, I think most people would consider A-1 to be a low boarding number, and C-60 (or whatever) to be a high one.
“Good” and “bad” are less confusing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.