Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sat next to COS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:05 pm

Too many inconsistent or unclear statements from OP. As previously asked, how did OP switch to the aisle when it was stated that both the COS passenger and their companion were already seated? Why didn't OP simply get up during boarding a move to a different seat in a different row?

As currently written, it sure sounds like OP is making a stink and looking for compensation over a complete non-issue. Also, IDB shouldn't apply in any shape or form here.

I'm sorry you were uncomfortable. I have been in a similar situation where a COS was literally the last person to get on the plane, and they sat in the last-available middle, which happened to be next to me. I was uncomfortable all the way from MDW-SAN, but I wouldn't have thought to complain to WN or ask for any compensation. I felt bad for the COS because I'm sure they were just as uncomfortable as I was.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nirvana91
I'm sorry you were uncomfortable. I have been in a similar situation where a COS was literally the last person to get on the plane, and they sat in the last-available middle, which happened to be next to me. I was uncomfortable all the way from MDW-SAN, but I wouldn't have thought to complain to WN or ask for any compensation. I felt bad for the COS because I'm sure they were just as uncomfortable as I was.
+1. It's one of the perils of open seating...or really just flying coach on any airline. If it's a full flight and 3 adult males are sitting in one row, shoulder room is going to be tight no matter what - even if no one is exceptionally tall or wide. At least with Southwest, you have the option of sliding a leg/foot out into the aisle from time to time...on some other airlines, the armrest doesn't raise except in specific rows.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
It's really the opposite of open seating. Unless COS is the last person to board, you can always change seats. Not so with assigned seats. One of reasons I like open seating; you're not trapped.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I guess my challenge is: I usually sit in row 16-18, giving myself a pretty good chance of one of the last remaining open middle seats. When it works, it's awesome...but if the last guy getting on the plane is a big guy...or really any adult male of average-or-bigger size...my options are limited.

But you're definitely right about most other cases with the open seating - definitely, in this case, OP could have moved since we know it's not the C's getting 2 together at the bulkhead.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines
Originally Posted by Nirvana91
Well, as one flight attendant told us once on a flight, the last person on the plane is always a linebacker, never a cheerleader.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Danger007Mouse
Well, as one flight attendant told us once on a flight, the last person on the plane is always a linebacker, never a cheerleader.
That's why, when the flight starts to look totally full, you start to give your most welcoming smile to those petite ladies walking down the aisle.

Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
That's why, when the flight starts to look totally full, you start to give your most welcoming smile to those petite ladies walking down the aisle.

why wait until the flight fills up??
Old Feb 4, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

Yes, Asian ladies are often good targets.

And why I would rather be B-20 on a crowded flight than A-20. I still get my preferred aisle and it gives me more control of my seat partner.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 1:08 pm

Or just bring the petite lady with you
Old Feb 5, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by zachary
I'm never going to understand the allure of the bulkhead seats. They seem like they are cherished, but with the curved fuselage, the seat space is restricted. Going back 3-4 rows eliminates that and only delays your getting off the plane by a couple of minutes at the most. Not a criticism of those who like the bulkhead, it's just that I can't see the big advantage.
Not to mention that the middle seat in the bulkhead row is the absolute first to be filled. I was on a flight this week where they announced there would be 79 passengers and 143 seats (you do the math!). I boarded mid-A and the solo traveler in front of me took 1E. She could have gone back 3-4 rows and had choice of aisle/window--literally a situation where nobody is forced to sit in the middle since there are ~95 window and aisle seats. I guess some people really, really like to be first off.

I headed back to row 15 or so and had a very pleasant trip. Exit row wasn't even filled until somewhere in the B's (personally, I prefer an empty middle to more leg room).
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
And would that just make it someone else's problem? (assuming all the facts are reported properly here?) Given WN's overly generous COS policy, shouldn't this be avoidable?
it's generous but still relies on gate agents to make determination in many instances. If armrest went down the ga can argue it's not cos. As a bigger guy I can get armrest down but not without still having shoulders spill into next seat. Ive been told numerous times i don't qualify and I'm 6,3 375. I take it as a compliment haha. So while generous it isn't always available especially if a ga thinks they may be forced to idb someone (this is conjecture on my part based on my experiences.)
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:46 am

Two incidents with COS: One was as a late boarding passenger on a NW milk run that had half a dozen stops from SEA-MSP. I got on in FAR, and the my assigned seat - 25E or something - had morbidly obese identical twins in 25C and F. Their arms were literally touching over my seat. There were no other available seats in coach. I pointed this out to the flight attendant and said it was impossible to sit in 25E. She turned as ice cold as the tarmac at Hector Field in February, and finally allowed me to sit up front. But Miss Pronovost insisted that I get coach class treatment, and even served me my Coca-Cola in a plastic cup while the F passengers got their drinks in glass. The Ice Princess made a show of it and even told me that I would get my drink in plastic. Shame on me for wanting to fly without being crushed. Forty years later, I still harbor a grudge against that FA.

As far as the linebacker, a couple years ago I had a DCA-DFW-PSP run, with a nearly full boat DCA-DFW. I thought I lucked out because I had a window seat and the middle was empty and was the last empty seat on the plane. Just as they were preparing to close the door, a linebacker boarded. He wasn't fat and he wasn't particularly huge as football players go. He said he played at the college level. About 6'2" and probably 240 or 250. He did everything he could not to squash me against the fuselage and apologized for the inconvenience, but I was trapped and twisted for about half the flight. (I stood in the galley for the remainder.) The DFW-PSP flight was uneventful, but on my first night in Palm Desert, I had terrible leg cramps, jumped out of bed, caught my foot against the sheet (they fold them under the mattress, I don't), tripped, fell, and broke my middle toe. Not certain that being a human pretzel on my flight was the cause, but it certainly didn't help. Ruined my golf game and didn't do much for the vay-kay.

Moral to the story: it is far better to be in front of the curtain than behind it. And, if you absolutely must make your voyage in steerage, insist on a aisle seat.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines
Originally Posted by Newguy08
Ive been told numerous times i don't qualify and I'm 6,3 375. I take it as a compliment haha.
Really? I first learned about the COS policy from a nice lady in Albany about 3 years ago. At the time I was 420 pounds (5'10" as my height). I've since lost a lot of weight (down to 245), but I was still able to use the COS policy up until I had gotten down to about 300 (around the time I didn't need a seat belt extender anymore).
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Danger007Mouse
Really? I first learned about the COS policy from a nice lady in Albany about 3 years ago. At the time I was 420 pounds (5'10" as my height). I've since lost a lot of weight (down to 245), but I was still able to use the COS policy up until I had gotten down to about 300 (around the time I didn't need a seat belt extender anymore).
I think that is my biggest issue. I don't need belt extender and arm rest goes down so in theory I don't meet the hard qualifications.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Is anyone else calling BS on this one?

First, it's "open seating". Enough said.

OP said he was a through passenger. He's already on board - even before the pre-boards. The post suggests that the flight was full. Was there ANY open seat available? Did the COS couple buy an extra seat (or two) according to WN's guidelines?

If OP is seeking an IDB after the flights lands, it's a bit late. "We can't make the other passenger thin for you, and we can't change your seat after you've landed. So here's $50. Sorry. Next."
There were no extra seats available as the Flight Attendant said this would be a full flight. The COS did not purchase a second seat. Due to the boarding it was hard to move my bag(by this point a lot of the overhead space was filled) and I waited until the first possible moment without interfering with the boarding passengers.

I am waiting to hear back from Customer Service as the COS policy was not followed as the COS encroached on my seat and I had less than half of my seat. As this was 100 percent full flight another passenger would have been in my situation and may have been rude about it. I dealt with it in a discreet manner and will be hearing from Customer Service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.