Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sat next to COS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by danielonn
In the policy it said that Passengers can proactively purchase a second seat and a possible refund may take place upon open seats.
I don't think you read it very carefully. It says:

Even if the flight experiences an oversale (having more confirmed Customers waiting to board than seats on the aircraft) we will refund the cost of the extra seat(s).
What you said above is what it used to say a few years ago.

But if this is not done there can be an unplanned accommodation which to me sounds like denying boarding of the COS to the next available flight with an open seat. The COS is to discuss this with the gate agent at the airport.
Unfortunately, that's not what it says. It says that a COS "has the option ... of discussing their seating needs." There is no requirement that they do so. And, in the absence of them doing so, there's no requirement of WN to do anything.

So the Flight attendant should have called the Duty Supervisor or Gate Agent after telling them about the situation as the passenger was encroaching into my space thus making it uncomfortable.
"Should have" perhaps by your opinion, but not per WN's COS policy. Please point out in the COS policy where it says they should have taken the action you think they should have.

Furthermore COS passengers would book their ticket as Customer's Name Middle Name XS Last Name Smith and get a Seat Reserved document at the boarding gate and pre board. the COS did not have any of this nor did the COS preboard.
Nobody is disputing any of that.
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Same goes for the seat a passenger knowingly or unknowingly knows they need to purchase a second seat which will be refunded if there is room on the flight.
I'm not even going to point out why your analogies don't make sense. I'm dying to know how someone "unknowingly knows they need to purchase a second seat"?

Does someone from WN sneak into the person's house while they're asleep, put headphones on them and play a walkman that repeats "you need a second seat" over and over??
Old Feb 9, 2017, 7:49 pm

I'd like to know how anyone "unknowingly knows" anything???
Old Feb 9, 2017, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I am sorry, but I fail to see how it was incumbent on OP to change seats. Because that would simply mean that the COS would be encroaching on the space of another unfortunate passenger.

My view is that there was a CS failure on multiple levels. First, WN website should have a special message encouraging COS to buy 2 seats. Second, the GA - who very well knew this was a full flight - should have stopped the COS and asked where his 2nd boarding pass was, and then IDB'd him. Third, the FA should have done the same thing when she was notified that the COS could not fit in his seat.

I'm sorry, but a WN ticket only comes with a certain allocation of space. If you don't fit in the space, you are permitted - in fact required - to buy 2 seats, with a refund due if the flight is not full. The COS did not follow the rules. The COS is not oblivious to his size. The GA and FA did not follow the rules. They, too, could well observe the situation. The passenger who is unfortunate to be stuck next to the COS should not be forced to give up a good seat just so some unfortunate soul with a C boarding pass is then forced to deal with the same situation.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
After the bad PR, WN will never IDB a COS due to unavailability of a seat if they end up needing two or three seats.

If armrest doesn't go down, their policy is the COS is encroaching on your space. Stand up, excuse yourself to restroom if needed. Do this before departure door closes or else you have no recourse. Keep standing (they cannot close the doors if you stay standing in gallrey) and let them know you need to speak to a supervisor. Their options are to find you an alternate seat or IDB you. Technically they should IDB a standby/nonrev pax or the last to checkin but this will not always happen in practice.

I have done the above twice. Once I received $1400 in IDB compensation, in the form of a check at the gate and made it to my destination 3hrs later. The other time they conferred and were going to IDB a nonrev airline employee to give me a different seat. They ended up giving the nonrev the option to deplane or take the half-seat. They took the half seat to avoid overnighting in the airport.

Both times even though the COS was in row 1, I acted on this discretely so as not to embarass them unnecessarily. They knew I left the flight and surely knew why I moved seats later, but I avoided any direct confrontation.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
After the bad PR, WN will never IDB a COS due to unavailability of a seat if they end up needing two or three seats.

If armrest doesn't go down, their policy is the COS is encroaching on your space. Stand up, excuse yourself to restroom if needed. Do this before departure door closes or else you have no recourse. Keep standing (they cannot close the doors if you stay standing in gallrey) and let them know you need to speak to a supervisor. Their options are to find you an alternate seat or IDB you. Technically they should IDB a standby/nonrev pax or the last to checkin but this will not always happen in practice.

I have done the above twice. Once I received $1400 in IDB compensation, in the form of a check at the gate and made it to my destination 3hrs later. The other time they conferred and were going to IDB a nonrev airline employee to give me a different seat. They ended up giving the nonrev the option to deplane or take the half-seat. They took the half seat to avoid overnighting in the airport.

Both times even though the COS was in row 1, I acted on this discretely so as not to embarass them unnecessarily. They knew I left the flight and surely knew why I moved seats later, but I avoided any direct confrontation.
If this drama plays out around dispatch time, the 'stand-in-the-galley-demanding-a-supervisor' ploy pays far less of a dividend.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700

I did exactly as you stated. I excused myself to use the restroom and mentioned it to the Flight Attendant as firm and polite as possible to no avail they said""Deal with it" its only a 1 hour flight. So in my compensation I asked to be treated as an IDB eventough I was not offered such.

I want to get the compensation as a check.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 4:32 pm

Of course you do. This is hardly surprising. And please let us know when you receive the internal documentation of the flight attendant retraining that you've requested also. Still trying to figure out how you fit into 1/4 of a seat, as you clearly stated.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Of course you do. This is hardly surprising. And please let us know when you receive the internal documentation of the flight attendant retraining that you've requested also. Still trying to figure out how you fit into 1/4 of a seat, as you clearly stated.
SMH. The neverending quest for compensation is strong with this one.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by LegalTender
If this drama plays out around dispatch time, the 'stand-in-the-galley-demanding-a-supervisor' ploy pays far less of a dividend.
there's raising a scene, then there is politely stating that you will wait in the galley for Southwest's airport gate superisor to get on the plane to resolve the situation. You aren't interfering with a flight crew if you just smile and hold your ground that you need the supervisor for their resolution. The airport supervisors are more in touch than flight crews who have almost no contact with corporate. When corporate needs to follow up they ask the airport supervisor, and in cases like where this thead's OP didn't get that proper attention before the flight it is not logged as any type of issue/incident.

Someone posted before a customer service reply which indicated a customer is within their rights to ask for this, and actually gives up many recourses if they allow the plane to take off and just complain after the fact.

Not sure why or how OP thinks they will compensation, other than the small discretionary travel voucher. Customer service probably read one line into the complaint, realized despite a less than perfect flight, OP did not deplane, nor did OP require/request medical assistance upon arrival

Last edited by expert7700; Feb 12, 2017 at 5:41 pm
Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: none
OP will have a better argument if the flight was actually full like the pilot and FA told him. (They often say that even when there are seats open.)

OP will also have a better argument if it turns out the COS reserved an extra seat in advance.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 7:41 pm

I'm still not clear on how the seats filled, but I think it was:

OP took A, COS took B, COS companion took C (so plane relatively empty if B & C just taken)

OP went to restroom and spoke with FA

OP returns from restroom and plane is now completely full?!? And FA told the companion take A instead of C, leaving the OP with C.

Why not put the COS in A???
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by dmbolp
I'm still not clear on how the seats filled, but I think it was:

OP took A, COS took B, COS companion took C (so plane relatively empty if B & C just taken)

OP went to restroom and spoke with FA

OP returns from restroom and plane is now completely full?!? And FA told the companion take A instead of C, leaving the OP with C.

Why not put the COS in A???
MFSFC (masochism for the sake of future compensation). Or NPNG (no pain, no gain). Why resolve the situation in advance when there's a chance of compensation in the end.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
You need to kibitz the airline employees or otherwise be proactive instead of just letting them figure out on their own what to do for you.

For open seating such as on Southwest, you should get up and sit somewhere else. Don't worry about what anyone else says or does. End of problem.

Don't just wait in the galley or aisle. Instead, before departure, request, repeatedly as needed, to have a conference with the pilot and the ground complaint resolution officer.

You must accept any empty seat they offer you including a crew jump seat (you should not suggest the latter).

Do not suggest what the COS should do or what the airline should do except to suggest that they ask for volunteers if the flight if full and they seem to run out of options. Do not quickly volunteer yourself.

If they absolutely positively refuse to deal with the problem, then you should get your bags and get off and ask for immediate compensation from the gate agent. And/or call the airline headquarters and bring a complaint and ask for compensation then and there.

If you took a different seat and time is short, then don't bother to move your bags in the overhead bins closer to you until after the flight is airborne.

Any encroachment -- shoulders, knees, etc.-- not just the hips and the lowered armrest, is grounds for complaint and reseating.

Last edited by AllanJ; Feb 13, 2017 at 3:23 pm
Old Feb 13, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by smmrfld
Yeah, also trying to figure out how the COS managed to lower his/her armrest (as the OP insists) and still take up 3/4 of the OP's seat. Something definitely isn't adding up here.

Last edited by LWkitty; Feb 14, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.