Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sat next to COS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Sat next to COS

I was on 2750 from ABQ-LAX-SJC this past Sunday sitting in the A bulkhead row from ABQ-LAX-SJC. A passenger and their companion sit down and the passenger is overweight and pushes me to the window. I did not feel comfortable so I politely and discreetly went to the front and told the flight attendants. I reported this while the plane was at the gate and attached to the jetbridge after boarding was complete. Even during the safety checks no Flight Attendant asked how I was doing.

As this was a completely full flight I moved to the aisle and still the passenger encroached on my space. I had to sit sideways. The Flight Attendants could see how uncomfortable I was as my feet were in the aisle. They did not even bring the gate agent down to see the situation.

I asked politely to a Flight Attendant to speak to the Duty Manager at SJC who gave me a $50 and wanted me to write in. I even mentioned to the pilot about the incident who directed me to the Duty Manager. The Duty Manager noted my PNR and I wrote into Southwest plus spoke to an agent on the phone who also wrote a detailed report as well and would also forward it to the Executive Office.

Did I handle the situation well? I was not mean about it. My body was squished and my ribs hurt after the flight as did my back which I told the Duty Manager and on my report.

They did not offer to deboard me for an IDB. I felt that I was dismissed as I told the Flight Attendant while the boarding door was open. I waited until all the passengers boarded to go forward to the flight attendant in the galley.

The Flight attendant dismissed me by saying"Oh its a short flight" did not apologize and could see how uncomfortable I was. I did not make a scene but right away when we landed at SJC I made the report to the Duty Manager.

What says you? $50 is a start but I think I could get more as I had less than half of my seat and I was pushed to the Arm Rest that does not rise up,

I am awaiting a response and I hope that a SWA FlyerTalk Rep could work with me on a solution.

Last edited by danielonn; Feb 1, 2017 at 7:13 pm
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The first rule in dealing with a COS situation, is to not acquiesce and deal with it after the flight. I'm not clear how the COS could sit down and push you into the window. Was the armrest down? Did the COS lift the armrest? Never permit that, and immediately call the FA and politely, without being insulting, explain that you wished the armrest down, and that you are not willing to share your seat with a stranger. If that gets you nowhere, ask for the senior and if that doesn't work ask for the pilot. Be polite, but insistent.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by danielonn
I was on 2750 from ABQ-LAX-SJC this past Sunday sitting in the A bulkhead row from ABQ-LAX-SJC. A passenger and their companion sit down and the passenger is overweight and pushes me to the window. I did not feel comfortable so I politely and discreetly went to the front and told the flight attendants. I reported this while the plane was at the gate and attached to the jetbridge after boarding was complete. Even during the safety checks no Flight Attendant asked how I was doing.

As this was a completely full flight I moved to the aisle and still the passenger encroached on my space. I had to sit sideways. The Flight Attendants could see how uncomfortable I was as my feet were in the aisle. They did not even bring the gate agent down to see the situation.
I'm confused. You were sitting in 1A. The pax and their companion sit down presumably in 1B and 1C and then you get up to talk to the FA and when you went to sit down you moved to the aisle?? On the lap of the person in 1C??

I waited until all the passengers boarded to go forward to the flight attendant in the galley.
So what happened? The COS held you down and stopped you from moving to an open seat somewhere else on the plane??

Color me very confused.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:00 pm

This post makes little sense, but IMO you received $50 more than you deserved. Give it a rest.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
WN is open seating.

Just move to another seat.

Next question, please...

Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PTravel
The first rule in dealing with a COS situation, is to not acquiesce and deal with it after the flight. I'm not clear how the COS could sit down and push you into the window. Was the armrest down? Did the COS lift the armrest? Never permit that, and immediately call the FA and politely, without being insulting, explain that you wished the armrest down, and that you are not willing to share your seat with a stranger. If that gets you nowhere, ask for the senior and if that doesn't work ask for the pilot. Be polite, but insistent.
The armrest was down and the COS pax was still spilling into my seat. So after asking the Flight Attendant I switched to the Aisle and was pushed to the fixed arm rest. There was no place to move as the passenger came later into the boarding and I had my seat from the through flight from ABQ.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:37 pm

The armrest was down and the COS pax was still spilling into my seat. So after asking the Flight Attendant I switched to the Aisle and was pushed to the fixed arm rest. There was no place to move as the passenger came later into the boarding and I had my seat from the through flight from ABQ.
Yeah, I'm confused, too. This COS got on the plane and sat in the middle seat, next to you and the aisle seat was empty?

Where did the COS's companion sit?
Old Feb 1, 2017, 9:49 pm
jmw

You're actually gambling when you choose the bulkhead. Sometimes you end up with a service dog sitting on top of your foot or next to a COS by sitting in the first row. I would never choose the first row unless I am a party of 3 or if the other two seats are already occupied with acceptable passengers.

With regards to the SJC ground crew, you're lucky to even get $50 although I think that level of compensation is insulting given what happened. I would definitely write customer relations about this and tell them explicitly that the compensation from SJC is a joke and give them a number of what is acceptable. SJC ground crew is a pretty poor bunch who think customers are an annoyance.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:37 am

You claim you had less than half your seat. Something tells me there is some embellishment going on here.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I had a large (Not sure if he would qualify as COS) guy sitting next to me last week on a 2 1/2 hour flight. I was in the aisle seat and he was in the middle. The arm rest was down, but his upper body encroached my seat. I ended up sitting at an odd angle for most of the flight and actually had a very sore left shoulder that evening, which I guess was caused by sitting in such an odd position. There were no other open seats on the flight.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by birdiedouble
I had a large (Not sure if he would qualify as COS) guy sitting next to me last week on a 2 1/2 hour flight. I was in the aisle seat and he was in the middle. The arm rest was down, but his upper body encroached my seat. I ended up sitting at an odd angle for most of the flight and actually had a very sore left shoulder that evening, which I guess was caused by sitting in such an odd position. There were no other open seats on the flight.
are you talking about me? From bwi-alb was only an hour.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by lovefly88
are you talking about me? From bwi-alb was only an hour.
Nope. ROC>MCO
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:11 am

It's open seating. You didn't have to ask the flight attendant anything.

And if this COS was spilling into your window seat, how did you think the aisle seat was going to be any better?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 8:38 am

When you moved to the aisle, why didn't the COS move to the window? That would have put the companion in the middle and left you sitting comfortably on the aisle...?
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: none
You had to sit next to a -GASP!- large person. Was their size contagious? Did any of it rub off on you, or were you able to wipe it off?

WN gave you $50 to go away, and you want to know if that's enough. No, it's not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.