Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-boarders should be forced to sit in the back of the plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-boarders should be forced to sit in the back of the plane

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dgparent
Well it is simple, because to get those seats free you need to show a disability and need for the seat, not just sit there on a whim. VERY rarely does anyone get moved from their seat for a disabled person.

Also the point he/she was making I think is that even though you can ask to pre-board you still have to sit in row 33 middle seat if that is what your ticket says not row 1 aisle. You can't scam a better seat by claiming to need extra time, there is no seat saving either.
Correct ^
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
I think there is a functional reason that assigned seating eases the problem, and I speak from my experience getting disabled seating while wearing a boot for a broken ankle. It does not eliminate the problem of folks lying to get a better seat, but it makes it more difficult to do so, and it probably discourages some from trying.

When a disabled person (or scammer) pre-boards on Southwest they choose their own seat without any input from airline personnel (other than being instructed that they cannot take exit row seats if their disability prevents them from meeting the requirements for these seats).

When they call an airline with assigned seating 24+ hours prior to the flight to request seating accommodations the airline assigns their seat. There is a discussion about what they need. "I have a boot on my right leg, so I need a C seat near the front, and/or a seat w/ additional leg room." "I am in a wheelchair, so I need a seat with a movable armrest near the front of the cabin." "I am blind and have an aid, so I need a two seats together." "I have a seizure disorder, so I can walk, but will arrive and depart in a wheelchair because I will fall if I seize while walking/standing." This conversation is a lot harder to pull off than just taking any seat you want. Also, if your description of your needs does not require a seat near the front or with extra leg room, you may not be assigned one. If you just "need a bit more time boarding," you may pre-board, but be assigned a middle in row 24.

It's true that folks can still lie about this (certainly those who bring crutches to fake an injury would do this), but far fewer people are willing to lie outright to get a better seat than to simply reap the extra benefit of snagging a better seat when they really only need a bit more time to board.

Last edited by lexdevil; Jan 10, 2017 at 11:17 am
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Terminator8
Correct ^
Saying "correct" doesn't make it correct. You don't need to show a disability and you won't necessarily be sitting back in row 33 and you can scam a better seat by claiming you need extra time. You don't have to take my word for it, just try it yourself.

Originally Posted by lexdevil
I think there is a functional reason that assigned seating eases the problem, and I speak from my experience getting disabled seating while wearing a boot for a broken ankle. It does not eliminate the problem of folks lying to get a better seat, but it makes it more difficult to do so, and it probably discourages some from trying.

When a disabled person (or scammer) pre-boards on Southwest they choose their own seat without any input from airline personnel (other than being instructed that they cannot take exit row seats if their disability prevents them from meeting the requirements for these seats).

When they call an airline with assigned seating 24+ hours prior to the flight to request seating accommodations the airline assigns their seat. There is a discussion about what they need. "I have a boot on my right leg, so I need a C seat near the front, and/or a seat w/ additional leg room." "I am in a wheelchair, so I need a seat with a movable armrest near the front of the cabin." "I am blind and have an aid, so I need a two seats together." "I have a seizure disorder, so I can walk, but will arrive and depart in a wheelchair because I will fall if I seize while walking/standing." This conversation is a lot harder to pull off than just taking any seat you want. Also, if your description of your needs does not require a seat near the front or with extra leg room, you may not be assigned one. If you just "need a bit more time boarding," you may pre-board, but be assigned a middle in row 24.

It's true that folks can still lie about this (certainly those who bring crutches to fake an injury would do this), but far fewer people are willing to lie outright to get a better seat than to simply reap the extra benefit of snagging a better seat when they really only need a bit more time to board.
I agree with everything you wrote and would just add that on WN you have to speak to the ticket agent or gate agent to get the preboard document. On legacies you can get the seat assigned over the phone. So in some respects it might be harder on WN because you have to lie to the person's face.

Again, not condoning the abusers, just showing that assigned seats isn't a magic bullet either but as you said it probably does limit the issues.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
Again, not condoning the abusers, just showing that assigned seats isn't a magic bullet either but as you said it probably does limit the issues.
With assigned seating you might never know how many there were, however the big driver on Southwest is for occasional flyers to get ahead of those with status and snag a better seat.

If you want to check just watch boarding of a few legacy flights and count the number of pre-boarders. Then watch boarding of a few Southwest Flights and see how many more there are on Southwest.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
With assigned seating you might never know how many there were, however the big driver on Southwest is for occasional flyers to get ahead of those with status and snag a better seat.

If you want to check just watch boarding of a few legacy flights and count the number of pre-boarders. Then watch boarding of a few Southwest Flights and see how many more there are on Southwest.
With assigned seating you probably wouldn't know for sure but you also wouldn't necessarily know who snagged a preferred seat at the front of coach without paying for it because they claimed a disability.

I would fully expect to see more on WN because of the open seating. Really my only issue in this thread is that some people want to not accommodate those that really need it to punish those that abuse it.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112

It's like a conga line
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by justhere
I agree although I don't know if it's "want" or "know how to". Keep making more seats unselectable without paying extra and they'll figure it out.
The legacy carriers are already doing this. Aside from their "basic economy" fares that don't come with seat assignments, it's often the case that a LOT of the seats are blocked until OLCI. I was booked on an AS flight last September via a corporate portal and had no seat assignment. Then I put in my AA number (reciprocal with AS) and suddenly the whole damn plane was open to me.

As for the content of the thread, it is my opinion that the folks with children who just need "extra time" are not a protected class (as the ADA protects those who need pre-boarding for medical reasons) and should have to use the back of the aircraft, or be forced to pay for Early Bird (as parents on legacy carriers can't use the "basic economy" to sit with the kiddos).
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Gig103
The legacy carriers are already doing this. Aside from their "basic economy" fares that don't come with seat assignments, it's often the case that a LOT of the seats are blocked until OLCI. I was booked on an AS flight last September via a corporate portal and had no seat assignment. Then I put in my AA number (reciprocal with AS) and suddenly the whole damn plane was open to me.

As for the content of the thread, it is my opinion that the folks with children who just need "extra time" are not a protected class (as the ADA protects those who need pre-boarding for medical reasons) and should have to use the back of the aircraft, or be forced to pay for Early Bird (as parents on legacy carriers can't use the "basic economy" to sit with the kiddos).
Family boarding is after group A, after the big crowd of disabled people. By then, most of the contiguous open seats are in the back anyway. The problem is pre-boarders hogging the front rows unnecessarily.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:00 pm

That is a good point. Roping off a group of desirable seats for those who paid for early boarding removes the motivation to self-classify for pre-boarding when you don't.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:46 pm

Programs: swa, ua
Our last flight on SW had over 10 wheelchair boarders who all took front seats. When we landed the FA announced that the wheelchairs would be late at the gate so the people who needed them should remain in their seats until they arrived, while everyone else deplaned right away. When we deplaned we saw that all but one of the front row , previous wheelchair people, had gotten up and walked off the plane without wheelchairs. That is the kind of thing that makes people cynical.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:30 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Family boarding is after group A, after the big crowd of disabled people. By then, most of the contiguous open seats are in the back anyway. The problem is pre-boarders hogging the front rows unnecessarily.
I have no problems with pre-boarders hogging the front rows. That's where they belong because it's difficult for them to move further back.

But — like at other airlines — they ought to be the last to deplane. They ought to remain seated while other passengers get off the plane. Deplaning would overall go a lot quicker that way and WN could turnaround the plane faster.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by gwhitti
...previous wheelchair people, had gotten up and walked off the plane without wheelchairs.
Its the miracle of flight!

I should send my 82-year-old mother on a few flights. Maybe her dementia will cure itself!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Its the miracle of flight!

I should send my 82-year-old mother on a few flights. Maybe her dementia will cure itself!
Flights between the NYC area and South Florida are supposed to have particularly high miracle flight percentages.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA/DL/UA
What I don't understand is... if it takes someone a little more time to board, why would you want them to board first and deplane first? The result is that EVERYONE has to take "a little more time" to board and deplane. The only way around this (other than trampling them) is to have a two-aisle plane. But clearly all of Southwest's planes have a single queue for boarding and deplaning.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
What I don't understand is... if it takes someone a little more time to board, why would you want them to board first and deplane first? The result is that EVERYONE has to take "a little more time" to board and deplane. The only way around this (other than trampling them) is to have a two-aisle plane. But clearly all of Southwest's planes have a single queue for boarding and deplaning.
I understand boarding them first. It's difficult to get them to the back of the plane. If they're not first, then it would take forever to get them in. However, they should wait to de-plane. Anyone who doesn't wait should be blacklisted from pre-boarding again. Way too many people gaming the system.

Last edited by mheynrmc; Apr 3, 2017 at 4:16 pm Reason: Grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.