Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animal Policy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL,AS, AA, UA
What a crock! My only comment is "People and their dogs".
Whenever I am in a store, restaurant, Farmer's Market, etc. I resent being accosted by their dogs. Why can't you leave them at home? The ability to have them designated as "service animals" is greatly abused!
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:38 pm

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Service Monkeys.

Personally, I'm looking to find a coffee monkey. One that could get the coffee going 20 minutes before I get up and refill my cup when it's empty. I can be grumpy without my coffee. Therefore, my coffee monkey would need to travel with me, so I don't get grumpy.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
You neglected to mention "We wouldn't like you when you're grumpy."
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AA since 85
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Service Monkeys.

Personally, I'm looking to find a coffee monkey. One that could get the coffee going 20 minutes before I get up and refill my cup when it's empty. I can be grumpy without my coffee. Therefore, my coffee monkey would need to travel with me, so I don't get grumpy.
Cross-train him for beer for late afternoons.

On AFV I saw a beer dog once. On a signal, he'd run to the fridge, pull on a towel attached to the door, and take a beer to his human. Human had to open it, though. I bet a smart monkey could do that.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by allegro761
Whenever I am in a store, restaurant, Farmer's Market, etc. I resent being accosted by their dogs. Why can't you leave them at home? The ability to have them designated as "service animals" is greatly abused!
Yes, and this will only get worse. You probably just read the post by someone that just realized they can take their dog with them for FREE if it is a comfort animal. This person doesn't really NEED a dog, it is just a way to skirt around the rules. I'm tired of dog owners.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:04 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by joban
I'm tired of dog owners.
You're dog tired?
Old Oct 16, 2013, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, Starwood, Hyatt, Starbucks Gold
Good One

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I know where this thread is headed, so let me be the first to say "In before the lock!"
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:35 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors Diamond, BonVoy Gold, AAdvantage, IHG Priority Club, BA EC, AS MVP
Unfortunately the scam is being promoted elsewhere

It is not surprising that the problem with the EMS dogs is more prevalent than before. Unfortunately another travel blogger has recently acquired a young dog as a pet and travels extensively with it. He has shared the delight he has in not paying for the dog onboard as it is his "emotional support". He seems to think everyone loves a dog and wants to share with him his wonderful pet. This is incredible abuse. Unfortunately it is also not fair to the dog as it has travelled transcontinental for as short a trip as one or two days. I am sure the dog did not enjoy the hassle and would have preferred to curl up in front of a fire.

Pet dogs do not belong in the cabin - if needed for sight handicapped individuals they should be licensed and muzzled as needed.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by FWAAA
All you have to do is convince a licensed mental health professional (perhaps your psychiatrist) that you suffer from a mental or emotional disability...
I have >10,000 posts on FT. That would probably do the trick.

Mike
Old Nov 9, 2013, 11:38 am

So it's ok to lie for your convenience???

You should get flamed!

Originally Posted by as219
It's not the only reason. At the risk of being flamed, we seriously considered going down this road. Our dog is too big to fit under the seat. We'd check her, but as a "brachycephalic" (i.e., snub-nosed) dog, airlines won't allow her to travel as cargo during the summer. She's very calm, docile, well-mannered and totally fine curling up in a ball for 6-7 hours. When the need for unavoidable, last-minute travel came up this past summer, we came close to "procuring" an ESA permission letter...none of our trusted dog-sitters were available and she really hates being left in a kennel. Plus, there were some genuine emotional needs involved, though clearly not of the DSM-IV variety. So what to do? In the end, a long-shot came through, and we were able to leave her...but I was pretty much ready to go the ESA route. For the record, I would have paid pretty much any price to bring her along, so the money wasn't the issue.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Originally Posted by allegro761
+1
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Cross-train him for beer for late afternoons.

On AFV I saw a beer dog once. On a signal, he'd run to the fridge, pull on a towel attached to the door, and take a beer to his human. Human had to open it, though. I bet a smart monkey could do that.

Old May 25, 2015, 9:36 am

Though I realize that there are many customers who are flying with their legitimate emotional support animals, there are many customers who are just trying to beat the system.

I just found about about an acquaintance, who is a snowbird, spending time in warmer climes, during the winter, and then returning to a permanent residence where the weather is great, except during the wintery months.

This person will return to the city of permanent residence about every 6-8 weeks, for business. On those flights, this person travels alone, while the spouse stays in the seasonal residence, until they deem the weather "safe," to return home.

On none of those "business" trips does this person fly with their dog, who stays at the seasonal home, till everyone returns to the permanent home, after spring arrives. The couple never has a problem traveling without the dog, when flying on a vacation.

Now, everyone is ready to fly home, and their 100 pound dog has become an emotional support animal. Obviously, this dog is way too large to fit in a dog carrier that will slide under a seat; so, this way, they can just keep the dog on the floor, if front of them. Since this person always books BS, the assumption is that bulkhead will be available, so they can park the dog there.

With a few M.D.s in this person's family, I'm guessing that documentation is not a problem.

Why can't airlines check a customer's flight history to help verify the legitimacy of emotional support animals? Someone needed the animal last fall, one time, then took about 6-8 trips without, then needed it again? Are HIPPA and ADA the reasons?

And, no, I don't believe that flying with the spouse creates a time of great emotional duress and the need for an emotional support animal.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: MR PP & LT Plat, HH Diamond, WN A+ and CP, Avis First, National E+
Originally Posted by mke9499

And, no, I don't believe that flying with the spouse creates a time of great emotional duress and the need for an emotional support animal.
That just made my day, and will likely be the best comment on this thread, IMO.
Old May 25, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mke9499
Why can't airlines check a customer's flight history to help verify the legitimacy of emotional support animals? Someone needed the animal last fall, one time, then took about 6-8 trips without, then needed it again? Are HIPPA and ADA the reasons?
First off, it's "HIPAA," not HIPPA, and the ADA has nothing to do with emotional support animals on airplanes.

Federal law (the Air Carrier Access Act) requires that airlines permit passengers to bring their emotional support animals. Airlines have no legal footing to play "Columbo" and try to catch the overly clever non-emotionally disabled. If passengers have the documentation, their emotional support animal gets to accompany them.

Don't like scammers and cheaters? Call your Congressional representatives and complain. I'm sure they'll get right on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.