Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animal Policy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2013, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by TheChallenge
I requested cash reimbursement for my destroyed iPad as well as cleaning costs for my bag from WN and the passenger, never got it. WN supervisor refunded my points I used to pay for the ticket when I landed, but they said I'd need to put in a claim for the actual items. While it "technically" hasn't been denied, I have yet to have any progress on that situation.

The woman's dog was held in quarantine for thirty days for observation, then they put it down. The dog supposedly attacked employees at the shelter while it was held for observation so the lady had no chance of getting the dog back. She was never charged. I wanted to press charges but the DA felt there wasn't significant evidence to charge her. We thought about pursuing the matter against her in court, but after doing a background check against her we found she has about fifteen unpaid judgements outstanding. It'd be useless.

WN was accommodating at first, they refunded the tickets, followed up at the hospital, and later twice. They offered about a week later to pay medical bills if I submitted for reimbursement, which I did. However after I submitted the bills they offered to only cover the deductible portion, only problem is I'm self employed so the insurance we carry I purchase myself. My next years rates are based upon last years claims, I've already priced it out and my rates will be going up by $135 a month. I would've been better off paying cash at the hospital to get reimbursed at the true cost, but obviously I wasn't concerned about that at the time. So what WN wants to give my girlfriend for the incident is less than half the purchase price of the ticket she was on. I told WN I'd rather not be reimbursed at this moment, we'd like to consider our options. After I said that they refused to speak to us again on the matter.

Most importantly my girlfriend refuses to fly WN now because of the incident unless she absolutely has to. She travels all the time on between LAS-RNO, but refuses to now take WN. Just earlier this week she instead flew AA LAS-LAX-RNO and back. I've switched her off of companion pass and I'm stuck having to run down our 200k+ points stashes myself prior to devaluation.

Does she have a homeowner's or renter's insurance policy? That might provide some coverage.

I hope your GF is alright.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Sounds like you have a great live & let live attitude but drop a small claims suit and I bet WN will settle up in minutes....
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:51 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by twtrvl
Does she have a homeowner's or renter's insurance policy? That might provide some coverage.

I hope your GF is alright.
Nope, she has neither. To give everyone an idea what kind of person she is, she currently has three pending judgements for unpaid rent at weekly apartment rentals in less than stellar areas of LAS I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around without a gun after 9pm.

And she is doing fine now, thank you.

Originally Posted by joshua362
Sounds like you have a great live & let live attitude but drop a small claims suit and I bet WN will settle up in minutes....
It's not really a live and let live attitude, but a realization some battles will never be won. I claimed the iPad on my credit card. I won't win against the lady who's dog went hostile, first rule of law school is there is nothing to gain from suing a poor person. WN is insistent on paying only deductibles, so I've moved on from playing "Let's Make a Deal," negotiating with them is only a waste of time. If we decide to pursue the matter further it will be in court, and which we will likely do.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 7:58 am

I won't win against the lady who's dog went hostile, first rule of law school is there is nothing to gain from suing a poor person. WN is insistent on paying only deductibles, so I've moved on from playing "Let's Make a Deal," negotiating with them is only a waste of time. If we decide to pursue the matter further it will be in court, and which we will likely do.
Absolutely, one doesn't need a lawyer to figure that out. Its all about the deep pockets. And surprising about the deductible thing, insurance companies have a little thing called subrogation if they catch wind another party might be at fault! It is a pain but sounds like you have to force WN to do the right thing in court.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; 2 Million miler
There have been plenty of forum comments about service animals on airplanes and even a recent USA Today article about it. Just take a moment to search the forums and plenty of information will appear on this subject.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Exec
Originally Posted by as219
....... and she really hates being left in a kennel.
I'm willing to bet you she doesn't hate being left in a kennel nearly as much as I would hate having a dog within 100 feet of me. There are people who have phobias about dogs, people..get it, not dogs. It's a dog.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:18 am

I just saw an ad appear on the side of this page for a ESA certification website!

Lets face it, we are only "mad" because we're not in on the scam!
Old Oct 15, 2013, 12:20 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
Nope, she has neither. To give everyone an idea what kind of person she is, she currently has three pending judgements for unpaid rent at weekly apartment rentals in less than stellar areas of LAS I wouldn't feel comfortable walking around without a gun after 9pm.
That's a shame. I don't know if it would be worth it to secure a judgment against her anyways just in case she comes into money in the future (e.g. lottery, dead relative, slip-and-fall in a business, someone else's dog bites her).

It's not really a live and let live attitude, but a realization some battles will never be won. I claimed the iPad on my credit card. I won't win against the lady who's dog went hostile, first rule of law school is there is nothing to gain from suing a poor person. WN is insistent on paying only deductibles, so I've moved on from playing "Let's Make a Deal," negotiating with them is only a waste of time. If we decide to pursue the matter further it will be in court, and which we will likely do.
Could the health insurer be entitled to any money you get from WN greater than what you paid out-of-pocket? Although if that happens the insurer should reduce (refund) your premiums to what they would've been had a claim not been filed.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by tlglenn
Could the health insurer be entitled to any money you get from WN greater than what you paid out-of-pocket? Although if that happens the insurer should reduce (refund) your premiums to what they would've been had a claim not been filed.
The Insurer could also sue Southwest to recover if the cost was due to their negligence. They don't usually do that because they would have to pay lawyers Southwest would have to pay lawyers and even if they win it cots more money, especially on a minor injury.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:27 pm

As I alluded to earlier, if any insurance company (health, auto, general) gets wind that any other party could be at fault, they can hold up & deny your claim and drag you into a subrogation process. Obviously, its going to depend grately on the monies they expend.

I speak from experience, once my son fell at home and bumped his head, the idiot health insurer held it up for months until they were satisfied it didn't happen in a car or someone else's premises (all over a single $60 pediatrician visit mind you).

Also my new puppy once nipped me in a sensitive place and sent me to the ER (who elected to do nothing treatment wise). But the fact it was a dog bite set off bells and whistles and I was pestered by the Board of Health for weeks until I faxed them proof of the dog's immunizations!

Really surprised WN not being proactive here given the potential liability.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: HH Silver
someone else's dog bites her
^ This gets my vote!
Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
once my son fell at home and bumped his head, the idiot health insurer held it up for months until they were satisfied it didn't happen in a car or someone else's premises (all over a single $60 pediatrician visit mind you).
I am surprised that the health insurance company held up payment. In many states failure to promptly pay a claim is actionable. If they believed someone else was responsible their course of action should be to pay them claim then seek reimbursement from the responsible party.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 6:02 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Where can I sign up for this?

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
As they provide unwavering companionship, they provide emotional comfort to the owner. They have been found to be very effective as companions to children with specific needs and to the elderly that have mental problems such as dementia. There are other cases involving all ages, but the determination should be made by a mental health professional.

Their widespread use is becoming controversial as it is felt that many people with typical devotion to their pets assign emotional support status to them garnering the privileges of the designation without a valid corresponding professional determination.
WOW, I want to take my dog along too, I feel better with his company. I had no idea I could do so ... and for free?!? I'll get him a little vest with ESA on it. This is great news.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by judyserienagy
WOW, I want to take my dog along too, I feel better with his company. I had no idea I could do so ... and for free?!? I'll get him a little vest with ESA on it. This is great news.
All you have to do is convince a licensed mental health professional (perhaps your psychiatrist) that you suffer from a mental or emotional disability that can be alleviated in part by traveling with your pet. Get the doc to put that in writing so you can show that letter to the airline at checkin and you're good to go.

The vest is un-necessary and a scam directed at the ignorant, as it does not substitute for the required medical diagnosis and letter from the doc. Under the ACAA, the airline can ask for the letter (and all of them do).
Old Oct 15, 2013, 6:44 pm

http://www.registermyserviceanimal.c...FRKg4AodIHEAHQ

I believe this was the site advertising on the side of FT eariler! A good deal!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.