Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animal Policy

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
That's why I (and my taxes) support Amtrak.

My observation is that the dogs are getting larger lately and more frequent around vacation times.

It's an irritating scam and it demeans those with legitimate physical needs for a service animal.

If you are so emotionally unstable to fly without a crutch, then take the train or drive.
Old May 25, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by FWAAA
First off, it's "HIPAA," not HIPPA, and the ADA has nothing to do with emotional support animals on airplanes.

Federal law (the Air Carrier Access Act) requires that airlines permit passengers to bring their emotional support animals. Airlines have no legal footing to play "Columbo" and try to catch the overly clever non-emotionally disabled. If passengers have the documentation, their emotional support animal gets to accompany them.

Don't like scammers and cheaters? Call your Congressional representatives and complain. I'm sure they'll get right on it.
Ummmmm.....
Old May 28, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
When is a pet not a pet?

When you declare the animal as an emotional support animal, apparently.

Today, flying BNA to EWR, this couple decide to take the
Center and Window of row 1. They also had their dog with them. The FA asked them to put the dog in its carrier but after a short exchange, the lady said she'll just keep the dog on her lap.

I casually reminded the FA that Southwest's policy is that pets remain in their carrier throughout all stages of the flight. He said it's an emotional support animal.

Sorry but I gotta call BS on this one. The passenger's pet carrier nor collar had no special identifying vest or tags (you would think they would make sure people knew this was a ESA not just a regular pet), and if you're going to use an ESA, you carry a letter from your doctor. No such documentation was requested or offered.

Also if it's a working animal, you don't do "pet" like things, like taking selfies with the pet, holding the pet up to the heart wings logo for pictures, and that sort of thing.

I know you can't question someone's disability, but this was one of those cases where it was obviously not legit.

So instead of following the rules, which would have required this pet to be properly crated during the flight, I had dog breath blowing my way for the duration of the flight.

I already witnessed this passenger's companion be asked to remove and discard his smokeless tobacco already.

Just gotta love tourist travel season........
Old May 28, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
There's more discussion in an existing thread: Emotional Support Animal Policy
Old May 28, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Actually, Southwest's ESA policy definitely requires extensive documentation has to be provided. Passengers should not be able to simply go and declare their pet as an ESA and get away with it.
Relevant wording found on the website:
In order for a Customer to travel with an emotional support animal, the Customer must provide to a Southwest Airlines Employee current documentation (not more than one year old) on letterhead from a mental health professional or medical doctor who is treating the Customer's mental health-related disability stating:
- The Passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Fourth Edition (DSM IV)
- The Passenger needs the emotional support of psychiatric service animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at the passenger's destination
- The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional or medical doctor, and the Passenger is under his or her professional care AND
- The date and type of mental health professional's or medical doctor's license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued

and this - which the vast majority of 'pets declared ESAs' definitely are not:

Assistance and emotional support animals must be trained to behave in a public setting.

I'd have had a further word with the FA.

BTW, I do travel with a service animal, and I hate the abuse that's going on as much as everybody else as it makes life for us who depend on our animals harder.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:21 am

Obtaining documentation for an ESA can be done over the internet for a small fee. It's definitely abused.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:30 am

Emotional Support Animal Policy

It's the gate agents responsibility to check all proper documentation before they board and then the animal is coded accordingly on the manifest. The only time a crew member would challenge it is if there is no documentation at all or if the animal is listed as a pet and they have it out of the carrier.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ohange
Today, flying BNA to EWR, this couple decide to take the
Center and Window of row 1. They also had their dog with them. The FA asked them to put the dog in its carrier but after a short exchange, the lady said she'll just keep the dog on her lap.
Apparently, the FA believed them. Row 1? Isn't that a bulkhead? Where would the carrier have been?

I casually reminded the FA that Southwest's policy is that pets remain in their carrier throughout all stages of the flight. He said it's an emotional support animal.
Odd that someone traveling with an emotional support animal would bring a carrier with them, but the existence of a carrier does not prove that the animal is not an ESA. It merely proves that the person brought along a pet carrier.

Sorry but I gotta call BS on this one. The passenger's pet carrier nor collar had no special identifying vest or tags (you would think they would make sure people knew this was a ESA not just a regular pet), and if you're going to use an ESA, you carry a letter from your doctor. No such documentation was requested or offered.
This is nonsense. If you suffered from an emotional or mental disability and obtained the requisite documentation from your doc or mental health professional (thus qualifying you to travel with an ESA), would you then spend money on vests and tags and signs so that everyone who saw you would know that you suffer from an emotional or mental disability? I wouldn't. I'd just sit with my dog or cat on my lap. And if some nosy Gladys Kravitz-types began to interrogate me about it - I'd simply smile and respond with, "yes, this is Fluffy, my cat" (or "this is Fido, my dog").

As for the documentation, how do you know? You have no evidence that the documentation was not requested or offered, unless you watched them check-in when the documentation would have been requested and provided. The FA was knowledgeable enough not to ask the passengers "for their papers," when it would have already been provided when they checked in.

Also if it's a working animal, you don't do "pet" like things, like taking selfies with the pet, holding the pet up to the heart wings logo for pictures, and that sort of thing.
Emotional support animals are not "working animals," they're pets, and thus "pet-like" activities prove nothing.

I know you can't question someone's disability, but this was one of those cases where it was obviously not legit.
Perhaps you're right, but fortunately, the federal regulations don't deputize fellow passengers as junior detectives to try to root out the fraudsters.

So instead of following the rules, which would have required this pet to be properly crated during the flight, I had dog breath blowing my way for the duration of the flight.
Oh, the humanity . . .

I'd rather sit next to doggie-breath than snuff-using (and spitting) kettles.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:38 am

There is no requirement that support animals be registered, or identified by tags vests or any other method. Some people apparently believe that if you buy a "kit" and register with one of the various online registries that is worth something. It's not. But many (maybe all) of the registries are fronts (or referral shops) for "medical professionals" who with crank out a letter for a small "consultation" fee.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
I'd rather sit next to doggie-breath than snuff-using (and spitting) kettles.
This. Any and every day.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:13 pm

This service animal scam needs to be stopped. Animals don't belong on a passenger plane.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kc4601
This service animal scam needs to be stopped. Animals don't belong on a passenger plane.
Like I said earlier, notify your Representative and Senators. I'm certain they'll get right on it.

What about the blind? Would you deny their seeing-eye-dogs? Or is it just some dogs that get your dander up?
Old May 28, 2015, 1:36 pm

Like I said earlier, notify your Representative and Senators. I'm certain they'll get right on it.

What about the blind? Would you deny their seeing-eye-dogs? Or is it just some dogs that get your dander up?
No just the PTSD Chinchilla and the ADHD Pythons at this time.

You know that there are legit service animals and then there are "emotional comfort" dodges for lazy self entitled scammers, right!
Old May 28, 2015, 4:33 pm

The "comfort" dogs are the issue. If someone cannot travel without an animal due to their "issues" maybe they need medicated. Those getting on a plane should not be subjected to those using the system to take their animal on vacation with them or what not because they are to cheap to put the animal in boarding.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:08 pm

Is that an irrational distinction? Service animals are allowed (and accepted by most) in places pets are not. The blurring of that line is a fairly recent phenomenon.

I sympathize with individuals who feel they require a pet with them to go out in public or travel, but I think the standards are too loose and they're prone to abuse.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that animals should generally be forbidden in the cabin of an airplane and one should have a serious disability or medical condition to qualify for a limited exception to that rule. Obviously this isn't the prevailing view.

Unfortunately, accommodations for disability are often abused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.