Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animal Policy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:37 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112

One of the primary motivations for people to abuse the ESA designation is to avoid the fees imposed on mere pets.
The solution would be to continue to waive the fees for true "certified" service animals (animals that have been formally trained to assist in certain tasks) but not to waive the fees for ESAs (which are basically untrained glorified pets).
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:46 am

Programs: HH Silver
One of the primary motivations for people to abuse the ESA designation is to avoid the fees imposed on mere pets.
Or to stay in hotels that do not allow pets.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Or to stay in hotels that do not allow pets.
Or live in apartments that don't allow pets or require additional deposits and fees.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 9:40 am

Location: Inland Empire, semi-regularly going between LAX/ONT/SNA and IND/STL
Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by BizFlyin
I'm not personally convinced people "need" emotional support animals
I'm not personally convinced you're a mental health professional qualified to make this sort of judgment.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 9:46 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Old Oct 5, 2013, 9:58 am

Location: Inland Empire, semi-regularly going between LAX/ONT/SNA and IND/STL
Programs: Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by nsx
That's a fair point, but bizflyin's dismissive attitude is not what one would expect of a credentialed, trained mental health professional sharing a serious, honest opinion of a matter of legitimate professional concern. Thus, it seems unlikely.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
On WN it would be $150 RT, about half of the the cost of most of the vet trips for my pets. If one is devoted to their pet, that should not be a problem. Of course, if they could get free vet exams by claiming a disability, they would do that as well.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
On WN it would be $150 RT, about half of the the cost of most of the vet trips for my pets. If one is devoted to their pet, that should not be a problem. Of course, if they could get free vet exams by claiming a disability, they would do that as well.
I am not sure if WN has this policy or not, but one thing that irritates me the few times we have had to fly with pets is the pet carrier counts as your carry on!! If an airline is going to charge an absurd fee to bring a pet on board, they shouldn't count the pet as a carryon. If someone is flying with a pet and travelling light they sure don't want to be spending extra waiting in line to check a bag and claim a bag with their pet with them.

I can just imagine the screaming if an airline said they were going to charge a parent a parent $75 for a fee to have a lap infant with them and/or state they couldn't have a carryon if they had a lap infant.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold Med , UA, AS, WN, HHonors Silver, Marriott, IHG Rewards Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Many airlines charge absurd fees many things.

$100 penalty fee if your check-in luggage is overweight by just 5 lbs?

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds

I can just imagine the screaming if an airline said they were going to charge a parent a parent $75 for a fee to have a lap infant with them and/or state they couldn't have a carryon if they had a lap infant.
Please don't give the airlines any more ideas.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA

SSSHHHHHHH......airlines are listening and looking for ideas.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 11:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by BerenErchamion
I'm not personally convinced you're a mental health professional qualified to make this sort of judgment.
That's why I used the word "personally." I don't want to get into an argument, I'm sure you have much more experience than I with mental health professionals.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 12:25 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
You know, BF, that violates the rule against personal attacks. However it may qualify under an exception that I sometimes make for a post that is so funny even the target can't resist a grin.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:08 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nsx
You know, BF, that violates the rule against personal attacks. However it may qualify under an exception that I sometimes make for a post that is so funny even the target can't resist a grin.
+1. Made me grin!
Old Oct 6, 2013, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Good Riddance FT!
Originally Posted by nsx
No offense intended, just a joke!
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:33 pm

There is a petition to require that children be required to be secured in an approved in a government-approved child safety restraint system. The FAA's reason for not requiring such a system (as required for children traveling in automobiles) is that some parents would chose to drive rather than fly but because automobiles are so much less safe than aircraft it would cause more deaths.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.