Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Very nice. But how do we get our Known Traveler Number?

I presume that TSA gives it to SWA when you are approved, but not directly to you. Should we just make a dummy reservation and see whether the KTN field is pre-populated?
"Known Traveler Number's" are only issued by Customs & Border Patrol for their approved members of the Global Entry, Nexus and Sentri Programs. Neither Airlines nor TSA issue KTN's. If you have a C&BP KTN, you can use it when making a reservation on ANY airline (well most anyway) to be potentially eligible for PreCheck.
You may also qualify for potential PreCheck by being an invited elite member of a particular airline for THEIR FLIGHTS ONLY. No number is issued, not transferable to other airlines.
This is not an Elite member perk, but a security issue. TSA just figures if you have flown so many times for so many years and not dropped a plane, you are probably OK.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by joshua362
As long as one can cut the line using AL+ and/or BS, its there really any tangible time saving benefit to this run-a-round?
Originally Posted by nsx
Belt stays on, shoes stay on, clothes (virtually) stay on. Much faster and less intrusive.
This, and also consider that A+ (et al.) just get you past the TDC to the screening line faster- and until Pre-Check is oversold, their "screening line" is usually non-existent (I was able to use P-C on AA and UA travel in the last few months and it was sweet).
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by SWDan
TSA just figures if you have flown so many times for so many years and not dropped a plane, you are probably OK.
i.e., "Mohammed Atta on September 10th"
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by joshua362
OMG, this just sounds like a huge cluster F waiting to happen on all sides of the IT continuum.

As long as one can cut the line using AL+ and/or BS, its there really any tangible time saving benefit to this run-a-round?
At MDW, with fairly small crowds, it took me much longer to get through TSA. As A- , I am not liking this change.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I got an email today saying I had been selected.

Perfect timing. No more flights until next year.

We are excited to announce that Southwest Airlines® is partnering with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to offer our Customers expedited security screening with TSA PreCheck™. This program is available at participating airports and allows selected travelers to move through security with greater ease by not having to remove items such as shoes, belts, jackets, laptops, or liquids in 3-1-1 compliant bags from their carryon bags. TSA PreCheck
You have been identified as eligible to participate in TSA PreCheck. Simply opt in to be considered for expedited screening. Please note you will first be required to log in to your Rapid Rewards® account. For more information, visit southwest.com® or the TSA's website.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Not airlines specific but lots of reports of experiences with Precheck and trusted traveler programs information in the newly created Trusted Traveler sub forum of Travel Safety and Security

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
My GOES number was now listed in the "Redress Number" field (as that's what the form called that field when I'd entered it back then) so I'd re-entered it into the "Trusted Traveler" field- but it wouldn't let me remove the number from the "Redress" box, so it's in both places now. Guess it can't hurt.
It might hurt I'd say give WN a call and see if they can remove redress. It might cause mismatches with the TSA database.

This has changed? I thought Pre-Check wasn't allowed on International flights?
I believe it was May of this year. Initially they said select countries but that seemed to be incorrect as its even received traveling to and from countries with strained relationships with the US

Originally Posted by nsx
Very nice. But how do we get our Known Traveler Number?

I presume that TSA gives it to SWA when you are approved, but not directly to you. Should we just make a dummy reservation and see whether the KTN field is pre-populated?
Ill repeat a little of what SWDan said, even though i know you have seen it since you asked the question. Known traveler number is issued by SENTRI, Global Entry, NEXUS and the new pay $85 for pre background check.

You will not receive any feedback regarding your opt-in. No one can confirm if it was accepted or if you will get pre based off of it. Also no guarantee if you do get it that it will be available on every trip. Based on numerous reports and personal experience, the only way to pretty much guarantee precheck on every flight is to join one of the trusted traveler programs listed above.

This, and also consider that A+ (et al.) just get you past the TDC to the screening line faster- and until Pre-Check is oversold, their "screening line" is usually non-existent (I was able to use P-C on AA and UA travel in the last few months and it was sweet).
Right after the government restarted, TSA started its managed inclusion program and turned it into a cluster in most airports making it a lot quicker to not have precheck.

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 13, 2013 at 6:35 pm
Old Nov 13, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
That list is not up to date. It shows no Southwest anywhere and it doesn't show pre-check at MSY Concourse B, which went active this morning. I was through there and a TSA agent confirmed pre-check just started today.
That's good to know. I'm heading to BOS tomorrow, so I'll check it out
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:10 pm

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred & Companion Pass, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Prez Circle
Entered my GOES number at least a year ago, got the Pre-Check E-mail today, logged in and Opted-In. My GOES number was now listed in the "Redress Number" field (as that's what the form called that field when I'd entered it back then) so I'd re-entered it into the "Trusted Traveler" field- but it wouldn't let me remove the number from the "Redress" box, so it's in both places now. Guess it can't hurt.
The redress number has nothing to do with trusted traveler. The RN is there in case you have the same or similar name and identifiers as someone on the governments no-fly list. This number let's TSA identify the difference. It would be issued to you by TSA after filing a grievance about getting held off flights. Having a bogus number in there "could" cause issues in the future. You should contact customer service and have them remove it.

Your PASS ID (what you are calling your GOES Number) should be placed in the KT field.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by el_jefe
The redress number has nothing to do with trusted traveler.
Back when I'd added it, the form read "Redress Number or Trusted Traveler Number". It's only of late that a distinction's been made on the WN site.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:55 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Used Pre-Check at PHX today. The pre-TDC person was directing random pax into the Pre-Check line. There was a mini-pile up while the tsa hand swabber stopped everyone in the PC line to swab both hands with several passes of the wand and then having to wait for results. Didn't see any hand swabbing in the general line.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
Used Pre-Check at PHX today. The pre-TDC person was directing random pax into the Pre-Check line. There was a mini-pile up while the tsa hand swabber stopped everyone in the PC line to swab both hands with several passes of the wand and then having to wait for results. Didn't see any hand swabbing in the general line.
Random Random Random. Change Change. Test Test. This is purposely why you will ever know what to expect. They don't want you to know, and neither do I. Then the bad guys would know also!

Again, this is NOT a perk. It is not something the airlines are doing for you! It is a scheme to reduce actual hands on time at screening by about 1/2 for Pre-Cleared, reducing total travelers time without increasing budget costs.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Tanic
Every other airport does a random alarm on the WTMD to pull aside people for a hand or bag swab. Doing it before the line is just stupid but then again this is TSA we are talking about

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 14, 2013 at 9:33 am
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I don't understand reports that random or overflow travelers are being directed into the pre-check lines at airports.

Is the TSA qualified now to make an on-the-spot exemption/decision? (I realize this waives certain screening items, but not all).
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
How to Get PreCheck w/o an Invitation from SWA

Originally Posted by qwertyasdfghzxcvbn
And for those not invited, the Known Traveler Number can be input under My Account -> My Preferences -> Contact Information.
This is very helpful information, worth repeating down the thread. The box for Known Traveler Number is what you're looking for.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
This is very helpful information, worth repeating down the thread. The box for Known Traveler Number is what you're looking for.
Thanks, took my three times for it to enter it and accept it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.