Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Check is starting! Login and look for Opt-in box (was: coming later this year)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2013, 2:37 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by ExCrew
Question: Will WN be picking up the tab for these memberships like many of the other airlines? And if I didn't get the "opt in" invite, how do I opt in?
Doubtful. Alaska doesn't pick up the tab, neither do VX, US or (I think) AA.

You can't opt in unless invited. If some of the rumors are true, the opt in thing will go away once the TSA ramps up the PreCheck interview program.

If you do any international travel, GE is the best thing around. It's $20/yr for 5 years.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by alggag
I can confirm A- and no invite here.
Same here.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by mke9499
Gary Kelly briefly addresses PreCheck in the November issue of iWN/FL inflight magazine, Spirit.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/pace/spirit_201311/#/16

I noticed that GK was pushing the TSA "pay to play option".
Old Nov 10, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
A+ & CP for several years; requalified for both thru 12-31-2014 in May 2013.

Took the expert advice of qwertyasdfghzxcvbn early the morning of the 8th when this all began to come to life & entered my GE number in the TT field. Perhaps WN's crack automation hadn't yet had time to post the blue-box-special "invite" and/or observed I had already signed-up. Or not.

Excuse the quasi-highjack.....

LAS-specific report as of Sunday @ 5pm:

When I asked how/where they plan to handle Pre-Check, The TSA clerk manning the A/A+/BS/Employee line at the top of the escalators (to your left) reports they're going to use "Managed Access" (her words). Sounds a lot like random-kettle-pickery, but who knows.

She proudly showed me her "new reader", firmly attached to the Customer-side of her podium. Presumably serves the same function as the little handheld gizmos at other stations.

I found a 3-stripe (supervisor) TSA clerk on the other side of screening; HE said LAS was going to do Pre- all the way down at the far-right of the normal lanes, but that they "aren't ready yet".

As we all know, YMMV. And likely will.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 9:26 pm

A+ and CP for the last several years. Just got the PRE opt in invitation tonight when going on-line (home airport is OAK - not sure if that makes a difference).
Old Nov 10, 2013, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by dw
I'm not completely sure if it matters if your precheck qualification is via airline nomination, but if it's via global entry, the names have to match exactly, including any spaces.

Keep in mind that travel agent booked tickets can sometimes be problematic if they append your middle name to the end of your first name. FIRSTMIDDLE LAST won't match FIRST MIDDLE LAST.
If your eligibility is via airline nomination, it does not matter for Pre-Check expedited screening selection if your name in the Secure Flight Data exactly matches the name in your I.D. As you say, if your eligibility is via Global Entry/SENTRI/NEXUS, the names must exactly match to the character.

Travel agent bookings do often append the middle name to the first name field, but as long as they add a space (which they do in my experience), it is still a match and you are fine. If they omit the space, as in your example, it will not match.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:26 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
OAK T2 will have pre-check boarding pass scanners and be operational tomorrow, November 12, according to the staff there.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:46 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Pre-Check is starting! (was: Pre-Check coming to WN later this year!)

Pre-Check at MDW is live and running as of this morning, Nov 11th. Far right lane (shared with Priority). Process was so easy and quick as I cleared security in less than 5 minutes at 8am this morning. Big thumbs up for first experience at MDW!
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:54 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
So, if I don't have pre-check at MDW, is the priority lane still available to me?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Pre-Check is starting! (was: Pre-Check coming to WN later this year!)

The far right priority lane at MDW has a TSA pre-check scanner before the ID checkpoint. This is where the lane splits into two. If you have pre-check, you are directed to the right. If you don't, you are directed to the left. I believe the left is still a priority lane but not entirely sure since I went right over to the screening section closest to the C gates.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by chuckworth
Pre-Check at MDW is live and running as of this morning, Nov 11th. Far right lane (shared with Priority). Process was so easy and quick as I cleared security in less than 5 minutes at 8am this morning. Big thumbs up for first experience at MDW!
As a reminder to everybody, you received the opt-in check box on your account (A+ and CP). Did you rebook your flight after opting-in, or did you leave it as originally booked? (I'm guessing the latter since you wouldn't need to put in a KT#.)

I'm still interested in the experience of those that did not receive the opt-in check box and instead used a KT#.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:53 am

Saw the TSA Pre line at FLL this morning, but it was not live yet. However, I was able to add my GE/TSA-Pre # to my SW account page.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
SFO and PDX have PreCheck set up already. SFO is on the far right of the checkpoint, next to the employee cafeteria. A tip for PDX, the D/E checkpoint is usually faster, except in the mornings.

I'll be through PHX a little later this week. Hopefully they're up and running with a PreCheck line on the WN side.

Originally Posted by anabolism
If your eligibility is via airline nomination, it does not matter for Pre-Check expedited screening selection if your name in the Secure Flight Data exactly matches the name in your I.D.
Read this post from the DL PreCheck thread. It seems like your name does matter even if you opt in. I don't have any experience since I've always used my TT#, so I don't know how accurate the poster's comments are. I could see them pulling info from the DMV and having a name mismatch there.

Originally Posted by lougord99
So, if I don't have pre-check at MDW, is the priority lane still available to me?
Not sure about MDW specifically, but PDX shares a priority lane and PreCheck lane. You can use it if you're not cleared for PreCheck, you just get funneled to the regular lines once you get your ID checked.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
Let me pose a question about Precheck here, since it would be off base for me to start a new Precheck thread...

I'm A+ / CP with SWA. But, I'm done flying them for the year (I think. Maybe one or two round trips, we'll see how it goes)...

So, If I'm at that status level with SWA, can I opt-in beginning the 13th, and will that get me a KT# that I can copy down and use on other airlines?

I'm on a temporary PLT with AA at the moment, but they haven't given me Precheck yet. I won't have enough flights to keep AA/PLT.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by chuckworth
The far right priority lane at MDW has a TSA pre-check scanner before the ID checkpoint. This is where the lane splits into two. If you have pre-check, you are directed to the right. If you don't, you are directed to the left. I believe the left is still a priority lane but not entirely sure since I went right over to the screening section closest to the C gates.
Confirmed. Had same experience today at MDW but just got blue box last night so pass didn't say TSA Pre. Went through normal priority lane and the above is accurate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.