Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott GC Promo - Up to 12,000 RR Points

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Can anyone confirm that the Marriott card earns 5X on these? I know there are reports from last year in this thread, but I'd like to see a recent report for this go-around. Thanks.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:03 pm

Any good points earning opportunity for buying the GC other than Marriott card? Would like to double dip!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeckll
Any good points earning opportunity for buying the GC other than Marriott card? Would like to double dip!
Of course. Any new card for which you get oodles of points for signing up but have to meet a spend threshold. Spending toward a spend threshold to get a signup bonus always earns you way way way more than even a "category" bonus does.

For just one example, the "highly" churnable Hilton HHonors 50k Visa gives you 50k HH points for $1k spend. So if you apply for one now and are approved, you'll get it in time to use them on these cars, so you can get 12000 WN points and 50k HH points at the same time. (Plus you'll get Marriott points when you use them.)

The key thing to understand is that it cannot be a card you have currently, except in the case of Citi (AA or HHonors). Most other banks only let you reapply for a card (and get the new bonus) after you haven't had the card for a while (1 year with Amex, maybe even more with Chase). So it's easiest to do with either Citi (AA or HHonors), or else some card you've not had before.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Can anyone confirm that the Marriott card earns 5X on these? I know there are reports from last year in this thread, but I'd like to see a recent report for this go-around. Thanks.
I would be interested in this as well. Holding off on buying so I know what is the better deal with my SWA or Marriott Visa.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:40 pm
ak5

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Plat; SPG Plat; Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mdurette
I would be interested in this as well. Holding off on buying so I know what is the better deal with my SWA or Marriott Visa.
I just called the number on the back of my cc and asked the rep. He basically said he had no idea. I asked if there was someone else I could talk to who would know but he said he didn't know and it depends on how it's billed....
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I can confirm that purchasing Marriott GCs from Marriott via this promo will in fact earn 5X MR points when using your MR Visa. They are considered a Marriott purchase and subject to the 5X.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by chuckworth
I can confirm that purchasing Marriott GCs from Marriott via this promo will in fact earn 5X MR points when using your MR Visa. They are considered a Marriott purchase and subject to the 5X.
Great! Thank you for the input.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: delta,southwest--companion pass,hilton---diamond,marriott---gold,choice
hello there, does anyone know if this promotion is being offered here in 2013? and if so, does anyone have the link?

thank you,
kctigers.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 3:42 pm

The link's been posted on this very page. Post #97.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by tatterdema
For posterity:

Hi Rapid Rewards Member!

Ready for more Points? With this exclusive offer for Marriott GiftCards, you can get more, faster.

Starting August 1 through September 26, 2013, it’s easy to earn up to 12,000 Rapid Rewards Points*, simply by purchasing a Marriott GiftCard!

$100 = 1,200 Rapid Reward Points
$250 = 3,000 Rapid Rewards Points
$500 = 6,000 Rapid Rewards Points
Think sun-kissed beaches and cool pools. Think big cities and countryside manors. Think glistening golf courses and soothing spas. Experience all that you can do with a Marriott GiftCard.

With over 3,800 properties worldwide, there is sure to be a Marriott branded property anywhere Southwest and your Rapid Rewards Points take you.

Your Points are waiting!

*Maximum of 12,000 Rapid Rewards points per member per offer period. See complete offer Terms & Conditions for more information.
Terms and Conditions

Marriott Gift Card Offer and Terms and Conditions

Marriott Gift Cards, purchased in $100 increments earn 1,200 Rapid Rewards points, $250 increments earn 3,000 Rapid Rewards points and $500 increments earn 6,000 Rapid Rewards points, allowing a maximum of 12,000 points to be awarded during promotional period. This is an online promotion only and cannot be combined with any other offer. Offer not valid on Marriott Gift Cards or eGiftCards purchased on property, via 3rd parties or 1 800 813 GIFT. Promotion is valid August 1, 2013 through September 26, 2013 only.

Purchaser’s name must match Rapid Rewards account number to receive eligible points. Please allow four to six weeks after purchase for points to appear in your account. All Rapid Rewards rules and regulations apply. All Marriott Rewards rules and regulations apply.

The Marriott Gift Card can be used for all purchases and services charged to a Marriott guest room. If you are not a registered hotel guest and are planning to use this card at a spa, restaurant, retail store, or other outlet, please confirm in advance that the Marriott Gift Card is accepted. The Marriott Gift Card cannot be used to guarantee a room reservation, but may be used as payment at check out. Gift Card purchases earning Rapid Rewards points are not eligible for return or refund. This is a limited time, limited inventory offer. Marriott Rewards points will not be earned with the purchase of the gift cards. Shipping and handling fees apply. $1 shipping option available to U.S. addresses only for orders less than $1,000 USD.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 8:04 am

Data point --- gift card purchased 8/6 --- RR points posted on 8/18.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:48 pm

Programs: SW RR
Originally Posted by khtc
Data point --- gift card purchased 8/6 --- RR points posted on 8/18.
When did you receive the cards?

I have a trip in about 2 weeks. Was wondering if they will come in on time.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Marriott GC Promo - Up to 12,000 RR Points

For me, I've always used the express shipping option and they come within 2-3 business days of the purchase date. They are shipped out of Salt Lake City, UT.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by vegaslover8
When did you receive the cards?

I have a trip in about 2 weeks. Was wondering if they will come in on time.
Sorry, I have been out of town so I can't answer - mail is on hold.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: AA, Hilton, PC
Use Travelocity AmEx points to buy Marriott through Southwest

I have 40,000 Travelocity points that are good for $800 in flight credits. I'm wondering if I could buy $1000 Marriott cards through the Southwest promo and then get Travelocity AmEx to credit my account $800 for the "Southwest" purchase.

Then I get $1000 in Marriott cards for $200, plus 12,000 Southwest points to boot.

I lose the mileage earning potential on the $800 in free travel through Travelocity, but I don't pay for flights anyhow because of points. Wanna Get Away fares award 6 per dollar, so 6000 for $1000 spend, however they count for A List and CPQP.

Anyone tried this successfully?

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.