Search

Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I just updated the OP with every bit of information I could think of from this thread. Please report any errors or omissions so I can correct them.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
Originally Posted by rwinn
How are you getting the 15,000 miles for $90? Are you earning miles on the Miles and Money award?

I wonder if Miles and Money (and Choices) will exist after Continental and United (and OnePass and Mileage Plus) are integrated.
If you go to book a round trip award you sometimes will be offered a miles + cash option. In the booking I tried this morning the website offered the itinerary for 25,000 miles or 10,000 miles + $ 90. So you are saving 15,000 for $ 90.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by FCfree
MikeyZBT is definately right about the 25% devaluation, now needing 20 segments to get one free r/t, which now must be of the same value as the original flights. That hurts a bit, but as others have pointed out, future devaluations are probably not needed since the system stablizes. A devaluation, but whether it is lower than the legacy carriers probably depends on your fly and redeem patterns.
I should have added that there are some devaluation offsets:
            Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:52 pm

I hate RR 2.0

The thing that set Southwest appart from all other airlines was the simplicity of it's FF program. I wonder it they will ever receive another Freddie after this?
            Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:53 pm

I should have added that there are some devaluation offsets:
                      CC spend cannot get you onto A-list. You are capped at 15k TQP a year.
                      Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
                      Originally Posted by ftnoob

Answer #4
                      TQP for flying are calculated as 6x/10x/12x the stated fare. You cannot get any TQP from the regular RR Visa cards. When the new, more expensive, RR Premier Visa debuts, you'll be able to earn 1,500 TQP per $10,000 spend.
                      Is this right? I would have thought it was 1 TQP per $1 spend? Or is that a 1,500 TQP bonus per $10k spend?

So...

If I fly 8 round trips per year at $100 per segment, that is 8 x 2 x 100 x 6 = 9600 TQP

If I rent a car for each of those trips, that is 8 x 600 = 4800 TQP. It might be 9600 TQP if the car rental company is offering a 2x promotion.

I've earned 14,400 - 19,200 TQP. I need 20,600 or 15,800 more TQP.

If $1 spend = 1 TQP then I need to spend $15,800 to $20,600.

If $10,000 spend = 1,500 TQP then I need to spend $105,333 to $137,333.

Granted, 8 r/t per year before never got you to A-list, but I think $105k of spend to get me up to A-list is pretty expensive. I don't spend that much on CC. But, if it was $15k - $20k, that might be an interesting proposition.
                      Old Jan 8, 2011, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Aitchly
                      CC spend cannot get you onto A-list. You are capped at 15k TQP a year.
                      I was thinking CC spend plus some flying and some car renting.
                      Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:21 pm
                      A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by richardfaust
                      I wonder it they will ever receive another Freddie after this?
                      No one ever will. The Freddie Awards have ended.
                      Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
                      Originally Posted by rwinn
                      How are you getting the 15,000 miles for $90? Are you earning miles on the Miles and Money award?

I wonder if Miles and Money (and Choices) will exist after Continental and United (and OnePass and Mileage Plus) are integrated.
                      Choices will probably continue as it is only a 1% rebate when used in that manner and it is offered by Chase and not UA/CO. I would imagine that the miles + cash option would also continue given the new ceo's propensity to monetize everything.
                      Old Jan 8, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
                      Originally Posted by toomanybooks
                      Well, I don't have 25 paid one-ways a year. More like 15-18. I get most of my WN credits from credit card points, hotel stays, and car rentals.

I could be missing something, though, or overthinking. Perhaps A-List isn't worth it for a guy like me. Or maybe I should just travel more.
                      I was just thinking you can add a few "credit" runs when convenient to get to 25 each year versus 25 flight marathon every other January.
                      Old Jan 8, 2011, 3:42 pm
                      Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

FCFree, not all RR points are TQP (tier-qualifying points). There are only two ways to get TQP: base earnings for flights, and the 1,500 TQP per $10K spend on the RR Premier Visa. (Going by memory without double-checking, but this is how I remember it.)

Example: if you get the Premier RR Visa and spend $20,000 (on other than SWA and partners), you'll get 20,000 RR points, and 3,000 TQP. The 20,000 points count toward CP, but not toward A/A+.

It isn't clear to me (in part because I didn't wonder about it until just now) whether the above example results in a total of 23,000 points toward CP, or only 20,000.
                      Old Jan 8, 2011, 3:46 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
                      Is this right? I would have thought it was 1 TQP per $1 spend? Or is that a 1,500 TQP bonus per $10k spend?

So...

If I fly 8 round trips per year at $100 per segment, that is 8 x 2 x 100 x 6 = 9600 TQP

If I rent a car for each of those trips, that is 8 x 600 = 4800 TQP. It might be 9600 TQP if the car rental company is offering a 2x promotion.

I've earned 14,400 - 19,200 TQP. I need 20,600 or 15,800 more TQP.

If $1 spend = 1 TQP then I need to spend $15,800 to $20,600.

If $10,000 spend = 1,500 TQP then I need to spend $105,333 to $137,333.

Granted, 8 r/t per year before never got you to A-list, but I think $105k of spend to get me up to A-list is pretty expensive. I don't spend that much on CC. But, if it was $15k - $20k, that might be an interesting proposition.
                      $10K spend on Premier CC = 1500 TQP. Max 15K TQP each year via CC spend.

Other partner points do not count as TQP. Fare + CC spend only count towards A-List.

All points count towards CP.

Last edited by benmaller; Jan 8, 2011 at 3:47 pm Reason: clarify
                      Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:19 pm
                      Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by nsx
                      Please report any errors or omissions so I can correct them.
                      Originally Posted by nsx
                      One drink coupon book will be mailed to you every time you complete 10 one-way trips.
                      The above probably should read 10 paid one-way trips, but that may need to be officially clarified.
                      Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:56 pm

"You will not be able to combine cash and points directly for a purchase, but you will be able to buy the extra points you need and then redeem your points. Points will be sold in blocks of 1,000 for $25, with a minimum purchase of 2,000 for $50. The maximum purchase is 40,000 points."

Can you purchase points and then use them in your one time only conversion from points to credits?

My 5 YO daughter will be 2 credits short come March. The only way I have found to get a child credits is to fly. The trips after March are short haul and it might take a bit to make those 2,400 points.
                      Old Jan 8, 2011, 7:01 pm

I think its a good idea to change the drop date of my SWA Visa.

Normally drops on the last day of the month and credits are posted on the
                      4th.

Since Feb is going to be a short month I'm thinking about moving it to the
                      23rd.

Good idea for anyone looking to get in those last few credits via cc purchases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.