Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I wonder whether someone could clarify A-List validity periods under 2 scenarios; I must be lightheaded from lack of sleep, because I don't think I see this answered specifically in the OP or at newrapidrewards.com:

1. Starting from scratch on 1/1/12, lunatic passenger A takes 25 flights by 1/15/12.

2. Starting from scratch on 1/1/12, laid-back passenger B takes 25 flights by 12/15/12.

On what exact date does A-List validity expire for each of these passengers? Is it still a year from the date it's attained?
For both it is 12/31/13
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by swag
The Chase card offered 2 credits on your anniversary nder RR1. Is it known yet what the anniversary bonus will be under RR2? If so, can someone give me the info link?

My anniversary is March 2, I need to decide whether to keep the card or not.
How is "anniversary" defined? I got the card in Feb. 2010, and the first awards posted in March. This could apply to many people who took the 2-award offer.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond, WN CP & A-List P
Originally Posted by Aitchly
In regards to cramming for CP qualification before 3/1 to get the extra year, putting aside the relative ease of getting qualification in RR1 vs RR2 (which is minor if you get most of your CP qualification on CC spend (22k spend difference) or more expensive flights), in subsequent years if you qualify by 3/1/xx, you get CP for the rest of that year through 12/31/xx+1.

There is no added benefit to getting the CP qualification completed before 3/1 that will not exist after RR2 goes into effect.

Previous posts suggest the rolling 12 months will be in effect for the year, so unless you are primarily a low fare customer or qualify through partner bonus credits, I see no reason to use a ton of PC, SPG, etc points into the program.

I think the math works for me as a +$200 average flight and a chunk of CC spend to continue the slow and steady march to CP instead of rushing to dump hotel points or do rental MRs.
While I agree with your logic regarding the CP, one must remember that incremental RR1 awards attained prior to 3/1 allow last minute redemption flexibility.

That's the point I'm struggling with right now. 4 awards in the bank - 45 credits away from re-upping CP (due by 8/1/11) - PLENTY of partner points available to put me over the top prior to 3/1.

I realize I can extend them for $50 (once).....struggling with the thought of extending for $50 versus utilizing the RR2 concept for future family travel.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
For both it is 12/31/13
Can you provide a link to verify that 100%? I have not seen anything yet for A-List validity period along the lines of "the rest of the current calendar year and all of the following year."

If you are right, I know what I'll be doing the first couple weeks every other year. I imagine it will involve LAS and LAX.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:52 am

Sorry to ask, but answer is hard to find in this long post. I only need one more credit by 3/1 to get to 16. What would be the best option to earn that by then? Thanks!
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by benmaller
3000 for the standard card and 6000 for the premier card when available.
Should work out better than the current cards.

6000 points is worth $100 for WGA travel and the Premier Visa card will cost $85 I think.

Existing WN Signature Visa is $59 a year and yields 2 RR credits worth around $40.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:55 am

Can you provide a link to verify that 100%? I have not seen anything yet for A-List validity period along the lines of "the rest of the current calendar year and all of the following year."

If you are right, I know what I'll be doing the first couple weeks every other year. I imagine it will involve LAS and LAX.
From the T&Cs:

"A-List and A-List Preferred qualification will be based on a calendar year. Once A-List or A-List Preferred Status is earned, the Member can begin enjoying the benefits immediately. The Member will maintain A-List or A-List Preferred Status for the remainder of the calendar in which the status was earned and for the entire calendar year immediately following. To continue receiving A-List or A-List Preferred benefits, the Member must re-qualify each calendar year. "
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by AZChick
well, a very special friend of mine has provided me with Gary Kelly's e-mail address at Southwest, along with the VP of customer relations and SVP of marketing, so i'm thinking that I will be taken care of after I fire off my e-mail (:
Classy
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the T&Cs:

"A-List and A-List Preferred qualification will be based on a calendar year. Once A-List or A-List Preferred Status is earned, the Member can begin enjoying the benefits immediately. The Member will maintain A-List or A-List Preferred Status for the remainder of the calendar in which the status was earned and for the entire calendar year immediately following. To continue receiving A-List or A-List Preferred benefits, the Member must re-qualify each calendar year. "
Thanks very much, I had not seen that page.

If one attains A-List in the first 2 weeks of the year, he gets it for almost 2 years, in my example 2012 and 2013. But then it says IN THE NEXT SENTENCE he must re-qualify every calendar year.

I guess that refers to earning in 2013 for 2014 validity if you qualified in 2012. But to me it's awkwardly worded.

25 short cheapo flights ought to be doable in a few days every other year in January.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Jan 8, 2011 at 10:33 am
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by UnitedEF
You have the same ability to change or cancel your ticket within 24 hours of purchase regardless of status on UA. Throughout all of the flying I have done I have never changed the date of the flight but I have taken earlier flights on the same day. Much better perk.
I change the date of the flight a few times a year and I rebook at a lower fare several times a year (whenever I get a chance). Must be why I think no change fees is so cool. I also book as soon as there is a *chance* that I am going to fly on a specific date and then adjust as needed, which gives me lower fares. With UA, I suspect that you are waiting until you are very sure of the flight plan to avoid the change fee.

I do have to say that when I used to fly UA, taking earlier flights was a nice feature and that SWA requires a bit of planning to avoid the full fare buy up.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
Originally Posted by swag
Absolutely true.

The good news is that RR2 seems relatively immune from future devaluations..
Agree, so long as the redemption multiples remain constant. Your bank could be worth more or less if this gets tweaked. Obviously, the best case would be that there are frequent specials - eg redeem wga @ 45x multiple during slow months.

From wn's perspective, RR 2.0 seems to address the problem of massive uncashed point liability other programs have by monetizing the award benefit - assuming airfares are going to rise, there's no benefit in hanging on to your miles. They won't earn interest and probably won't buy you as much as time goes on. Under legacy programs, the traditional measure is the cost per mile. Assuming redemption levels and inventory stay the same, you can get more bang for your buck when fares go up. Thus, there's some incentive to bank miles (assuming you're willing to risk devaluation).

The more I digest the program, the more impressed I am at how well it's been designed to reward behavior WN values most (and being easy to tweak) without apparently creating unmanageable new liabilities. Whether RR 2.0 works is sill an open question.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
Originally Posted by G702TT
If I were a FF like I used to be, I would prefer the simplicity of a legacy 25,000 mile one size fits all economy class award within the 48 mainland states. Heck, some Southwest passengers still can't understand the numbered boarding system at the gate how are they going to digest this?
I do not see the legacy carriers FF programs as simple. Its 25k miles except when its 50k miles. Its bag fees except when you've got status or you are flying first class. OK -- they are simple about change fees, that's all the time. And, its redeposit fees all the time too.

There may be a bit more math to Southwest, at least until we get this all figured out, but Southwest must have figured that we can handle it. Maybe its because its the smart folks, those with advanced degrees in math, economics, and business, not the kettles, that fly Southwest? I'd like to think so.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by Chuck2009x
From what I've seen, the RATE will be about the same. It is fairly clear, in that you earn points, not credits, after 3/1, and they've established the points you earn. For example, a car rental that used to earn 0.5 will now earn 600 points.
I can not find anything about the new conversion policy from hotel programs. The exchange rate of points from hotel programs such as Starwood has not been published. This information is needed to make a decision if it is better to convert Starwood points to SWA credits before 03/01,or delay the transfer after 03/01. Why would I delay the transfer after 03/01? Because Starwood works at a ratio of 1:1 with most programs ,and if everything works as expected, then 1200 Starwood points will be worth 1 credit as opposed to the current ratio of 1500:1.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:56 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
1. Starting from scratch on 1/1/12, lunatic passenger A takes 25 flights by 1/15/12.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:59 am

Definitely a fair change, but a bummer since I won't be able to buy people's rapid rewards off craigslist anymore. I've probably done this 12+ times for last minute travel over the last 6 years. I knew that $300 for same day flights anywhere I usually fly couldn't last. It was good while it lasted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.