Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:55 pm

I just want to confirm that anyone with a CP that expires this month, January 2011, or February 2011, is getting an automatic extension to December 2012 expiration? What about someone who earned a CP in October of 2010, and has an expiration of November 2011? What happens with those people, are they extended one month to December 2011, or automatically rolled to December 2012?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Originally Posted by ski
I called and emailed customer service. I have flights booked after March date and would soon be getting my next award. Website still advertises the fly 8 roundtrips get roundtrip. No notice, no grandfathering, to many it is a BAIT and SWITCH. For the short flights I will now drive, where I was buying last minute fares on Southwest. For the longer flights, I live in a major city and will choose the nonstop airline, instead of having to go through more than one city on Southwest to get the better fare or departure time on Southwest. The fly 16 flights, and get a round trip did influence me to chooses Southwest or to fly instead of drive.
Interesting point. If one buys tickets based on the Free Ticket with 8 round trips, should WN change after you have 4 round trips -- should they not have at least annouced (noted in the text) months ago that the RR program would be changed and different criteria would be coming for a feee ticket??
They knew this at least a year ago - so where is their honesty?

From WN WEB today: Simply fly just eight roundtrips in 24 consecutive months, and get one free

And why not, at the very least, put some info on announcement day that these Award methods will change 1 March??

What if you bought ticket with Bags Fly Free for 7 months from now and they start charging for bags in 3 months?

I know RR can change at a drop of a hat -- but is it fair?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:18 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
nsx... I think you may have midunderstood uclagee (or as I interpet).

I believe he earned his CP in Nov 2010 or so (as he has a 12/31/11 expiration)

So his CP counter would have been reset at, say, 1 Dec 10.

However, at 28 Feb 2011 he likely will have 100 credits Rolling from a year ago. He infers that the program will give a CP with a 2012 expiration date for anyone with 100 Rolling credits during 2011.

However, since his counter started over Dec 2010, I think credits prior to that do not count toward Rolling. He would need 100 credits by 28 Feb 2011 since his counter reset -- I think.

So, in his case, his CP will expire end of 2011.

These programs, terms, dates, etc. all add to the confusion.

At least I will have my 100 credits by 28 Feb 2012, since my counter restarted last March 2010. And I believe my next CP will run thru Dec 2012.^^
Yes, I misunderstood and you are correct. I'm just reading too quickly for my own good.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:13 pm

Programs: WN A-List, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by AZChick
I just want to confirm that anyone with a CP that expires this month, January 2011, or February 2011, is getting an automatic extension to December 2012 expiration? What about someone who earned a CP in October of 2010, and has an expiration of November 2011? What happens with those people, are they extended one month to December 2011, or automatically rolled to December 2012?
Was that not included in the very first post in this thread and multiple times since?
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:42 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum; Southwest A-list; BW Diamond; Hilton Gold; CO Silver; Hertz President's circle
SWABrian:

"We honestly think the new program is better"

Well, of course you do. Thing is, you're sitting at the other side of the table! It's interesting (and somewhat frustrating) that good ol' transparent Southwest appear to be developing a mystical and unpublishable formula for deciding who is deemed frequent enough a flyer to get the great honour of being offered A+ status based on 2010 spend. Did you hire someone from the cult of UA Global Services as a consultant? ;-)

More seriously on this point, I really hope that the lack of transparency here is nothing more sinister than 'we hadn't really thought it through'- although in the context of a new programme designed at least in part to woo other airlines' elites, this apparent lack of consideration of one of the most obvious concerns of your existing top level elites seems frankly bizarre.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Companion Pass... A-List... blah blah blah...

The simple fact is that all flights being equal in size and length (and purchasing discount tickets), it will take 20 segments to earn a free round-trip ticket instead of the current 16. That's devaluation in the simplest of terms.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
After reading all the posts I see the change to RR2.0 doesn't mean too much to me, but some random thoughts on my own scenario:

99% of my WN flights are twice-weekly intra-CA, averaging about $120/ticket as I don't usually buy them until 3-7 days beforehand as I finalize my travel plans. I'm currently sitting on 4 Standard awards (all earned in 2010), with the possibility of earning a 5th before 2/28; I have to use the first one as it's expiring in late 4/2011, but really have little use for the others right now.

All my WN credits are BIS-only (and I have no use for CP) and A-List is very important to me for the shorter lines and BP benefits; I'll requal again (after having made it the first time in 8/2010) sometime around the end of 1/2011.

Now, under RR1.0 it's my understanding I'll keep A-List 'till 1/2012, but I guess now this means I'll have it 'till 12/31/2012? This would be a plus since hopefully after this Summer I won't have to fly anywhere for a long time.

Also, since I'll have > 50 segments between 3/1/10-3/1/11, it'd be nice if I got the bump to A-List Preferred, if only for the WiFi (which I probably won't see before I end up staying home anyway ).

In any case, WN's no bag or change fees policies haven't changed- these (along with the large number of flights) are the real reason I'm flying WN anyway, the rest (save A-List) is just gravy.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
I have to disagree with you on this one. Either do it for everyone, or don't do it at all. There is no reason that SW needed to extend someone's CP from 1/1/11 to 12/31/11..why not keep it 1/1/11 if it was issued 1/1/10? That's still a year of CP..which is what CP is. If they are going to extend it for some people an entire year, they need to do it for everyone. You can't just pick and choose, that's when people get pissed off.
The obvious intention of the extension is to shift everyone to a calendar based cycle. By extending to the end of the year, everyone is given a full 2011 year to requalify for a CP. By necessity, not everyone can receive the same extension.

I understand the dissapointment had you qualified a couple weeks it would have worked out much better. I'm only receiving a short extension as well. However, I fail to see how WN has treated you unfairly. They have provided the exact benefits you qualified for and have given you two options to requalify next year.

Please let us all now if you receive an extra 10 RR credits from WN, so we can all claim ours as well.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:35 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by CALimey
More seriously on this point, I really hope that the lack of transparency here is nothing more sinister than 'we hadn't really thought it through'- although in the context of a new programme designed at least in part to woo other airlines' elites, this apparent lack of consideration of one of the most obvious concerns of your existing top level elites seems frankly bizarre.
Geez, CALimey ease up already, would you? One can only do so much with $100 million. That ain't nearly enough to pay someone to think things through from the customers' perspective.

Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:37 pm

Talking

well, a very special friend of mine has provided me with Gary Kelly's e-mail address at Southwest, along with the VP of customer relations and SVP of marketing, so i'm thinking that I will be taken care of after I fire off my e-mail (:
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:54 pm

Programs: SWA CP
Existing Companion Pass Begin Date: 12/10/2010
Existing Companion Pass Valid Through: 12/31/2011

So, I missed the cut off to have my CP extended to 2012 by 21 days.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. .... I think this isn't fair.
This is an interesting perspective. Basically, you're losing out on a great bonus (a free year of CP) because you qualified for CP too early.

It definitely would be unfair if you were getting less than you were promised/expected. What's really happening is that you're not getting the unexpected bonus that many others (myself included) are getting. I'm not sure WN will consider that unfair, but it's certainly worth a try. Keep in mind you may have to convince them that you'll be a good (but not quite CP-good) customer in 2011.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:56 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

well, a very special friend of mine has provided me with Gary Kelly's e-mail address at Southwest
You are intimate with Google?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:05 am

Programs: SWA CP
Originally Posted by skedastik
WN just sent out the following clarification email:

Companion Pass

•Earn Companion Pass within a rolling 12 months by earning 100 credits from Partners or flights. Qualification under this method must occur prior to 12/31/11.

Once a Member qualifies for A-List or Companion Pass through either method, he or she will retain this status through the end of 2012. For clarification, after December 31, 2011, rolling 12-month qualification periods for A-List status or Companion Pass will no longer apply.

Just to make sure I'm interpreting correctly - this eliminates the 2/28/11 rush to push over 100 credits, right? I expire in May, and I'll probably be at around 90 by 2/28/11 without doing a MR or car rental extravaganza. With this new announcement, I don't think I have any incentive to re-qualify early - I'll be extended to 12/31/12 whether I hit 100 credits tomorrow or 5/31/11, right?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:44 am

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
I will certainly try and get them to extend my CP until 12/12, but if they won't (and I know they probably won't), they should absolutely help me by giving me 10 RR credits so that I can reach it again in 2011. That would only be fair of them since they are extending other people's passes up to 11 months! Hopefully they will be open to doing this, because I know for a fact I would not be able to reach CP status again this year (it was major one time spending in November of 2010 of like $20,000 that pushed me over the top, and that will never happen again, it was a one time business thing).
I will be interested to see how this turns out given that your current CP was earned in 2010 and you don't anticipate re-qualifying in 2011.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
So presumably DING fares can't be purchased with the new WN points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.