Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The Chase card offered 2 credits on your anniversary nder RR1. Is it known yet what the anniversary bonus will be under RR2? If so, can someone give me the info link?

My anniversary is March 2, I need to decide whether to keep the card or not.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:21 am

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by swag
The Chase card offered 2 credits on your anniversary nder RR1. Is it known yet what the anniversary bonus will be under RR2? If so, can someone give me the info link?

My anniversary is March 2, I need to decide whether to keep the card or not.
3000 for the standard card and 6000 for the premier card when available.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: Amex Platinum; Southwest A-list; BW Diamond; Hilton Gold; CO Silver; Hertz President's circle
Geez, CALimey ease up already, would you? One can only do so much with $100 million. That ain't nearly enough to pay someone to think things through from the customers' perspective.

:-)

Actually, a cynical part of me wonders what % of that 100M was earmarked for 'Media Strategy'. The coverage I have seen in the local rags and online seems overwhelmingly positive and totally unquestioning of the obvious major drawbacks.

Not suggesting anything underhanded here, but I have my strong suspicions that many influential reporters have been well wined, dined and evangelised to, and many lazy journalists (just glancing down at our local rag, the "Press Enterprise") have been spoon-fed.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lougord99
I've missed anything being said about DING. Why do you say that?
Precisely because nothing has been said, except that bit about special fares such as senior, child, etc. not being part of RR 2.0 redemption.

All I've seen mentioned is WGA, Anytime, and BS. Did I miss something?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for an amazing summary nsx! I'm a casual WN flyer (two one-ways a year on average) so this won't really effect me much. However, it does seem to be a better program in many ways. Good luck to all who use it frequently.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: Amex Platinum; Southwest A-list; BW Diamond; Hilton Gold; CO Silver; Hertz President's circle
Sorry if this thread has already covered this subject (it has reather stretched on so I may have missed it) but related to my post above, what is Tim Winship's game? He's been quoted around the press toe-ing the WN line. He dogmatically states that WN's RR1.0 "...has been a laggard for years". Oh really? That's be why it has such a phenomenally high user approval rating, then.

He then states: "... my guess is it's going to stack up pretty well against programmes of legacy carriers" Well, sure- except for the piffling little detail of there being no first class cabin.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
Thanks for an amazing summary nsx! I'm a casual WN flyer (two one-ways a year on average) so this won't really effect me much. However, it does seem to be a better program in many ways. Good luck to all who use it frequently.
I might argue that it would /especially/ affect you! Assuming that you book lowest fare possible, as early as possible, this likely means that you will have to wait 10 years rather than 8 to claim your free ticket ;-)
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by CMK10
Originally Posted by CALimey
I might argue that it would /especially/ affect you! Assuming that you book lowest fare possible, as early as possible, this likely means that you will have to wait 10 years rather than 8 to claim your free ticket ;-)
Actually, they can now wait just 5 years and book a free one-way.

With the old program, with 2 one-ways a year, you would never earn a free ticket, as the credits would expire long before 16 were accumulated.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by swag
Actually, they can now wait just 5 years and book a free one-way.

With the old program, with 2 one-ways a year, you would never earn a free ticket, as the credits would expire long before 16 were accumulated.
Ah, asleep at the wheel wasn't I. You're of course correct. It's funny how well known deficiencies of the old system can so easily be overlooked when they don't apply to you isn't it!

Cheers,

Paul.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:18 am

In regards to cramming for CP qualification before 3/1 to get the extra year, putting aside the relative ease of getting qualification in RR1 vs RR2 (which is minor if you get most of your CP qualification on CC spend (22k spend difference) or more expensive flights), in subsequent years if you qualify by 3/1/xx, you get CP for the rest of that year through 12/31/xx+1.

There is no added benefit to getting the CP qualification completed before 3/1 that will not exist after RR2 goes into effect.

Previous posts suggest the rolling 12 months will be in effect for the year, so unless you are primarily a low fare customer or qualify through partner bonus credits, I see no reason to use a ton of PC, SPG, etc points into the program.

I think the math works for me as a +$200 average flight and a chunk of CC spend to continue the slow and steady march to CP instead of rushing to dump hotel points or do rental MRs.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
That is not correct. Your standard award will remain a standard award with all of the old rules applying until that standard award expires or is used. You do not need to use it before 3/1/11
Thanks. All I need now is to find the web page that explains the current RR1 rules for award tickets.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Precisely because nothing has been said, except that bit about special fares such as senior, child, etc. not being part of RR 2.0 redemption.

All I've seen mentioned is WGA, Anytime, and BS. Did I miss something?
Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if DING just went away. They seem to be concentrating their promotions on the Tuesday specials.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder whether someone could clarify A-List validity periods under 2 scenarios; I must be lightheaded from lack of sleep, because I don't think I see this answered specifically in the OP or at newrapidrewards.com:

1. Starting from scratch on 1/1/12, lunatic passenger A takes 25 flights by 1/15/12.

2. Starting from scratch on 1/1/12, laid-back passenger B takes 25 flights by 12/15/12.

On what exact date does A-List validity expire for each of these passengers? Is it still a year from the date it's attained?
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headinclouds
Thanks. All I need now is to find the web page that explains the current RR1 rules for award tickets.
http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php..._Rapid_Rewards or
http://www.southwest.com/rapid_rewar..._and_regs.html
Old Jan 8, 2011, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by CALimey
Sorry if this thread has already covered this subject (it has reather stretched on so I may have missed it) but related to my post above, what is Tim Winship's game? He's been quoted around the press toe-ing the WN line. He dogmatically states that WN's RR1.0 "...has been a laggard for years". Oh really? That's be why it has such a phenomenally high user approval rating, then.

He then states: "... my guess is it's going to stack up pretty well against programmes of legacy carriers" Well, sure- except for the piffling little detail of there being no first class cabin.
I'm not sure if you're referring to his piece http://www.smartertravel.com/blogs/u...tml?id=6564017 . It is odd to see the positive spin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.