Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Dummyflier
I generate most my credits via CC purchases. I tend to fly last minute but award travel has been harder to find lately. If I save my existing awards for longer flights, CC purchases (40k/year) should get me several short haul flights a year. Am I correct?
$40K CC spend will generate 40K points redeemable for $667 at WGA fares
Old Jan 9, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
[QUOTE=-Rapid Rewards Points are earned and deposited into the Member’s account after action has been taken on the entire ticket (i.e., flown, used as payment toward another ticket, refunded, or a combination thereof). The actual number of points earned for each individual flight is calculated after completion of the entire ticket...

-A Member who flies only part of a ticket will not earn any points unless the Member takes action to complete the unused portion of the ticket. The Member can do so by applying the unflown portion of the ticket as payment for a new ticket or by requesting a refund for the unflown portion of the ticket (only allowable on refundable tickets). Cancellation of an entire ticket or a portion of a ticket is not considered taking action on a ticket. The Member will not accrue any points for any portion of the ticket that has been flown until the entire ticket has been completed (i.e., flown, used as payment toward another ticket, refunded, or a combination thereof). If the Member fails to take action to complete the partially flown ticket before the ticket expiration date, the Member will not accrue any points for the flown segments of the expired ticket[/QUOTE]

Any concerns here regarding hidden-city ticketing? Or does this only apply to not flying the return leg on a RT?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:32 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by rove312
It's been over 24 hours since I asked about the credits for the anniversary of having the Visa card...
In a huge thread like this it is especially important to observe FT's "Stay on topic" rule:

Please keep your posts on topic. Posts that stray from the subject of the thread may be removed.
I had hoped to send you a PM, but things have been way too busy with the big news. I'm only posting publicly now because what seems to be an incorrect answer (assuming Chase didn't change things in the past couple years) has been posted.

The Chase anniversary transfer has been around for ages, so it is of course explained in detail in the FAQ.

Last edited by ftnoob; Jan 9, 2011 at 10:48 pm Reason: Replace initial hasty answer with longer explanation
Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dummyflier
I generate most my credits via CC purchases. I tend to fly last minute but award travel has been harder to find lately. If I save my existing awards for longer flights, CC purchases (40k/year) should get me several short haul flights a year. Am I correct?
A CC spend of 40K per year will net you 43K RR2 points (including the annual renewal bonus). Assuming you are able to book in advance on WGA fares that's $716 in travel funds you'll have to play with. If you book ~$60 one-way trips then you get nearly 12 of them. Obviously higher fares will be fewer and lower fares will be more.
Originally Posted by benmaller
Any concerns here regarding hidden-city ticketing? Or does this only apply to not flying the return leg on a RT?
Seems a VERY real concern.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:14 pm

$40K CC spend will generate 40K points redeemable for $667 at WGA fares
That seems like a very poor rate of return. I have to believe there are other credit cards that would provide a better value, unless there are other benefits that the OP will get from this level of spend on the WN CC.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:17 pm

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
Any concerns here regarding hidden-city ticketingT?
I think that's a legitimate concern. Depending on how this provision is implemented, I could see some real problems.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by starflyer
That seems like a very poor rate of return. I have to believe there are other credit cards that would provide a better value, unless there are other benefits that the OP will get from this level of spend on the WN CC.
Putting $40K on the Starwood card would get:

1. 20% bonus on transfer (assuming current rates hold)
2. Starwood Gold
3. Flexibility to do something else with the points if you change your mind
4. Ability to time the dump so as to maximize the return

Seems clear-cut to do that instead.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by starflyer
That seems like a very poor rate of return.
I disagree. See RR 2.0 in a nutshell...

How often do you get nearly 2% benefit on credit card spending? I could get 2% cash back on SWA purchases with the Costco Amex, but then I'd have to pay cash for tickets. I don't want to pay cash for tickets because TTFs expire, and cannot be used for another passenger; points don't expire and can be used for other passengers.

How to maximize the value of RR 2.0 (if you won't have status):
  • Never pay WGA fares with cash;
  • Never buy Anytime or BS fares with points.
  • If you don't have enough points for all your WGA flights, pay for the most expensive flights, use points for the least expensive flights.
  • If you have to change an award flight and WGA is no longer available, pay cash and save the points.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 8:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ftnoob
[*]Never buy Anytime or BS fares with points.
The irony is that this obvious response to the new structure will be hailed by Southwest's management as dramatically reducing the displacement of non-discretionary revenue by RR redemption.

In reality this change in customer behavior won't save Southwest anything relative to capacity-controlled awards. It's the devaluation caused by tying the redemption price to dollar fare that saves Southwest money. That's the only reason.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 9:35 pm

They'll also use the increased percentage of full fare passengers as proof that RR 2.0 is working to do exactly what they intended.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Please report any errors or omissions so I can correct them.
Sorry, it's been so busy I'm just getting back to reviewing the OP. Below are a few more comments.

Regarding Companion Qualifying Points:
Originally Posted by nsx
Flights will be credited according to the fare you paid times 12 points per dollar, even for WannaGetAway fares.
The NewRR FAQ says:
Your Tier and Companion Qualifying Points will be calculated as such:

(base fare X corresponding number of points per dollar for fare product) + (7.5 % excise tax X 12 points per dollar) = Qualifying Points
Regarding award top off:
Originally Posted by nsx
you need at least 1 leftover RR credit in your account as of March 1.
The NewRR FAQ says:
If you have a credit balance in your account prior to the conversion to the new program, you will continue to see your credits in your account.
Is it suggested somewhere else that balances of only fractional credits will be wiped out?
Regarding forward conversion:
Originally Posted by nsx
You cannot transfer any Standard Awards into points.
I don't see any mention of the fact that you also cannot convert any credits into points.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:16 pm

Nice analysis, pshuang. Early extension had been mentioned only briefly to this point.

Originally Posted by pshuang
Personally, I'm thinking of using 09/01/2011 as a cut-off
We don't really know how much choice we'll have there. The award extension page says (emphasis added):
Note: Only expired Awards and Awards with less than six months validity are shown above. Any other unused Award(s) will be made available for reissue once the Award is within six months of expiration.
Ordinarily, Awards that are good beyond the end of August would not be expected to be available to be extended on 28-Feb. Today, however, I noticed that the award extension page does list an Award I have that expires in the second week of September. So here in January they are already going beyond six months.

Here's another complication:
Award Coupons that reflect a status of "Coupon Reserved" or "Coupon Used" are ineligible for reissue. In order to reissue an Award Coupon with "Coupon Reserved" status, you must first cancel the existing reservation linked to your Award Coupon(s).
If you have an award that you might want to extend early, but it is holding a reservation for a trip that you aren't sure you are going to take, you could be in a bind.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But as soon as each hotel program adapts their system to "know" that Southwest uses a miles-like currency with "fine gradation", I fear they will drastically change what you earn.
Originally Posted by nsx
That's a reasonable concern.
nsx, I nominate your post for biggest understatement of the thread!

On first reading of RR 2.0 rules I concluded it was pretty much a lock that the hotel and rental car earnings would be dropping as soon as permissible. The question would be "what sort of contractual provisions, if any, apply?" The best case for the customer is that the partners are not allowed to change the rates until contract renewal. If that's not the case, do partners purchase blocks of credits that they inventory, or is there periodic (e.g., weekly or monthly) invoicing of charges for RR credits? If partners can change earning rates whenever they please, then it is just a matter of when they get around to doing so. Presumably the data dump from the partners will continue to be expressed in old system credits (meaning the conversion to new system points is being done by SWA) until each partner has the chance to update their own systems. Once the systems are updated, it is open season on devaluations.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ftnoob
On first reading of RR 2.0 rules I concluded it was pretty much a lock that the hotel and rental car earnings would be dropping as soon as permissible.
It's ironic that the one hotel family that has a precedent for at least sometimes giving a nice amount of flat miles per stay to one or two miles-based airlines (even as it's giving low miles/dollar spent to most other airlines) is the hotel family that's severing ties with Southwest a week before this change: IHG (Priority Club).

(Priority Club gives 1 mile per dollar spent at extended-stay brand Candlewood Suites for most airlines, but for BA it gives a flat 500 miles.)

Based on this, had Priority Club stayed with Southwest, it'd have been the one hotel family I held out a little hope for. But since they've gone, all hope seems lost.

(Well, I do expect that those chains that give flat miles per stay for all airline partners, like BW and Choice, will end up with some flat number of points per stay with Southwest, of course. But I would not expect it to be necessarily any better with Southwest than with other airlines once they can "recalibrate".)

Preview of the possibilities through examining the programs RR 2.0 was "patterned after" seems difficult, since Elevate and TrueBlue seem so lacking in hotel and car rental partners...
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Preview of the possibilities through examining the programs RR 2.0 was "patterned after" seems difficult, since Elevate and TrueBlue seem so lacking in hotel and car rental partners...
TrueBlue has a horrible earning rate with HHonors (their only hotel partner) that is dollar-based. For rental cars the only option is Hertz and there the earning rate is horrible but variably horrible depending on the duration of the rental. In both cases the Rapid Rewards 2 programs is significantly better for partner earning than TrueBlue is.

I'm not so sure that the doom & gloom predicted for partner earning is merited yet; I suppose we'll see. In the mean time the real question is whether the "half credit" earning that is now 600 points still has a decent value versus other programs. Crediting Hertz to VS, for example, was a pretty good deal for a while there. Dunno if it still is, but you could basically get a flight to London on points for about the same number of partner activities that would get you a RR1 award. Always a good idea to compare everything and make sure you're really getting the right value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.