Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022 | 3:24 pm
50 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by CMK10
I got tipped off by a local to a spot called Bahn Mi Boys out on Airline in Metairie. It shares space with a gas station and makes a hell of a sandwich. Great fries too.
Wonderfully, Banh Mi Boys has just opened a second location on Magazine St., Uptown. I now have to just bike for 10 minutes (or drive for 5) to get my BMB fix. We love this place.

Gas station food in Louisiana is a whole topic unto itself. It can be stupendous. Another fabulous gas station staple is Shawarma on the Go, just a few blocks down Magazine St. from the new Banh Mi Boys, and home of the best babaganoush in New Orleans, IMO. Located inside a gas station convenience store owned by the same Iraqi-Cajun family.
Hoyaheel and rustykettel like this.
Old Jan 1, 2022 | 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I got tipped off by a local to a spot called Bahn Mi Boys out on Airline in Metairie. It shares space with a gas station and makes a hell of a sandwich. Great fries too.
As was recommended above in post #356. I started going there in 2020 while the pandemic was getting cranked up because of the outdoor seating. There are so many things on the menu that I want to try, but its hard for me to break away from the Bulgogi Beef or Bam Bam Shrimp banh mi. Took a new neighbor there a couple of weeks ago for his initial experience. We split the beef and the shrimp so that he could taste more than one banh mi. He went crazy over the flavor of the Bulgogi Beef which is currently my favorite.

Staff is friendly with very good service.Order inside and they bring the food out to your table pretty quickly.
Old Jan 4, 2022 | 8:19 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by travelmad478
Wonderfully, Banh Mi Boys has just opened a second location on Magazine St., Uptown. I now have to just bike for 10 minutes (or drive for 5) to get my BMB fix. We love this place.

Gas station food in Louisiana is a whole topic unto itself. It can be stupendous. Another fabulous gas station staple is Shawarma on the Go, just a few blocks down Magazine St. from the new Banh Mi Boys, and home of the best babaganoush in New Orleans, IMO. Located inside a gas station convenience store owned by the same Iraqi-Cajun family.
One of the best shawarmas i've had came from inside a Shell station in Baton Rouge.
Old Jan 7, 2022 | 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
We are (hopefully) headed to New Orleans for the first week of Mardi Gras (Feb 18-21). My daughter is looking forward to eating fried chicken.
I know about Willie Mae's which is my favorite, Jaques-Imo's and of course, the iconic Dooky Chase's. But two of those are going to be packed and one far afield from where we are staying.
So any other suggestions? We are staying in the lower Garden District, bu we will be near Tulane and in Marigny as well. And we can travel as well, but with 4 folks, Uber can be a pain these days.
Thanks for ideas.
Old Jan 7, 2022 | 9:27 am

Joey K’s on Magazine St. has fine fried chicken. If it were me I’d get takeout from McHardy’s (Mid-City) or eat in at Lil’ Dizzy’s (Treme) but those require transportation, unless you’re willing to walk over from the Marigny to Lil Dizzy’s on Esplanade. Lunch only. You will not regret it!
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022 | 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
We are (hopefully) headed to New Orleans for the first week of Mardi Gras (Feb 18-21). My daughter is looking forward to eating fried chicken.
I know about Willie Mae's which is my favorite, Jaques-Imo's and of course, the iconic Dooky Chase's. But two of those are going to be packed and one far afield from where we are staying.
So any other suggestions? We are staying in the lower Garden District, bu we will be near Tulane and in Marigny as well. And we can travel as well, but with 4 folks, Uber can be a pain these days.
Thanks for ideas.
First off, youre lucky that youre coming that weekend. It wont be as crowded, but, the next week will be chaos! (I much prefer the good old days before the super krewes.)
Depending exactly where you are staying in the Lower Garden District, Cochon Butcher should be easy to get to. They serve Fried Chicken on Saturdays.

https://cochonbutcher.com

While youre visiting Tulane, you could try an off-the-beaten-path place in a neighborhood that I can pretty much guarantee that you wont see any tourists. Heck, not even a lot of residents know this place exists. No atmosphere, part mini-grocery, order at the counter, high top long tables with stools, but good food. Its almost like going back in time. In fact, I had a Korean bbq pork poboy for lunch from there today. Very tasty! They have fried chicken, but only Monday thru Thursday, although they are open Mon-Sat.
Oops, scratch that! I just looked at a calendar and noticed that youll only be here essentially for the weekend. Unfortunately, there arent a lot of good places for fried chicken based on where you are staying that dont involve some traveling logistics.

Another possibility is Parrans Po-boys Uptown, on Prytania St. I have not tried their chicken, only the poboys.
https://www.parranspoboys.com/Uptown
pbiflyer, Hoyaheel and kale73 like this.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 7, 2022 at 4:29 pm
Old Jan 7, 2022 | 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
While youre visiting Tulane, you could try an off-the-beaten-path place in a neighborhood that I can pretty much guarantee that you wont see any tourists. Heck, not even a lot of residents know this place exists. No atmosphere, part mini-grocery, order at the counter, high top long tables with stools, but good food. Its almost like going back in time. In fact, I had a Korean bbq pork poboy for lunch from there today. Very tasty! They have fried chicken, but only Monday thru Thursday, although they are open Mon-Sat.
OK FLYMSY, what's the place???
Old Jan 8, 2022 | 6:52 am

Originally Posted by travelmad478
OK FLYMSY, what's the place???
Singleton’s Mini Mart at the corner of Garfield and Millaudon Sts. It’s in an older building and owned by a very nice family. The downstairs looks like it’s always been commercial with the residence upstairs. I started going there in the early 2000s. As an added bonus, they serve Pho, however, only on Saturday. It can sell out quickly and they are only open from 10:00 - 3:00.
Old Jan 8, 2022 | 7:55 am

Good to know—I will put it on my list. I myself am mourning the disappearance of CK Hot Shoppe (Baronne and MLK) which was the best straight-up Filipino food in town, and completely under the radar as well.
Old Jan 8, 2022 | 9:08 am

I feel for you with your Filipino place. I’m mourning Kin which was my favorite ramen place in the city. To quote Benny Grunch and the Bunch - “Ain’t dere no more “.

I, also, fear that we’ve lost Cowbell. They’ve been closed a few months now, but no official word on their social media pages as to whether it’s permanent.
Old Jan 8, 2022 | 9:30 am
10 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
We just got back after 5 days in NOLA and ended up eating at these places. We were a party with 14 people so had to make reservations weeks in advance and of course had to make sure the places worked for everyone in the group.

Boil seafood house — good boils and lots of other items on the menu for people that don’t like boil or don’t want to get their hands dirty

Fiery crab seafood restaurant — I actually liked their crawfish boil here better than Boil Seafood House. We ate here twice.

Arnaud’s — French fine dining — underwhelming

Willie Mays — BEST FRIED CHICKEN OF MY LIFE … worth the 1.5hr wait. The cornbread muffins, the Mac and cheese and the green beans were stars.

Rizzutos Italian — typical Italian place. A break for our palates from the typical Cajun flavors.

We ate at Fogo do Chao on New Year’s Eve to fill up and stay full as the evening wore on and then grabbed some pizza from Fat Boys pizza which was meh.
Old Jan 8, 2022 | 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Countries Visited1M20 Years on Site

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
First off, youre lucky that youre coming that weekend. It wont be as crowded, but, the next week will be chaos! (I much prefer the good old days before the super krewes.)
Depending exactly where you are staying in the Lower Garden District, Cochon Butcher should be easy to get to. They serve Fried Chicken on Saturdays.

https://cochonbutcher.com

Oops, scratch that! I just looked at a calendar and noticed that youll only be here essentially for the weekend. Unfortunately, there arent a lot of good places for fried chicken based on where you are staying that dont involve some traveling logistics.

Another possibility is Parrans Po-boys Uptown, on Prytania St. I have not tried their chicken, only the poboys.
https://www.parranspoboys.com/Uptown
We fly out late Monday, so thats still a possibility. Thanks!
FLYMSY likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022 | 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM
Thanks for ideas.
High Hat Cafe, on Freret St., is one of my favorite casual restaurants in the city. They do a mighty fine fried chicken on Sundays and Mondays only. Be sure to get a side of their pimento mac n cheese too.

Edited to add: I may be wrong about the days. Definitely call to confirm. I think its the Tuesday night special, but I know you also can get it on Monday night to go with your red beans and rice. And I seem to recall they do chicken and waffles on the weekend. But definitely call.
pbiflyer likes this.

Last edited by Blumie; Jan 8, 2022 at 8:41 pm
Old Jan 17, 2022 | 3:14 pm

I feel for you with your Filipino place. Im mourning Kin which was my favorite ramen place in the city. To quote Benny Grunch and the Bunch - Aint dere no more .

I, also, fear that weve lost Cowbell. Theyve been closed a few months now, but no official word on their social media pages as to whether its permanent.
Its official, Cowbell is permanently closed. Really sad.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...7025ee164.html
Old Feb 5, 2022 | 9:16 pm

Singletons Mini Mart at the corner of Garfield and Millaudon Sts. Its in an older building and owned by a very nice family. The downstairs looks like its always been commercial with the residence upstairs. I started going there in the early 2000s. As an added bonus, they serve Pho, however, only on Saturday. It can sell out quickly and they are only open from 10:00 - 3:00.
We fly out late Monday, so thats still a possibility. Thanks!
Update:
If you decide to try Singletons for fried chicken, be aware that they sell out fast. I went last Monday at 11:30 and they were already sold out. Bunch of people already sitting there munching on their chicken orders. The owner told me its best to call in around 10:00 to place your order (which I did the next day) and theyll have it ready when you get there. Chicken usually comes with a side order of fried rice, but you can substitute french fries. Go hungry, portions arent small.

I went a couple of Saturdays ago to get their Pho and it was delicious! The broth was rich and flavorful, one of the best Ive had. They only serve beef pho. Also, tried the pork spring rolls which were great. Owner also makes her own chili sauce for the Pho and she warns you to only use a very little bit because it is very hot!!! I only used the tip of the fork and, believe me, that was enough!! If you want to use it, ask for it. Remember that these items are only served on Saturday.

The woman who owns the place with her husband, I think, is very, very nice and friendly.

Check out this Eater New Orleans article that was published last week. Look at the #2 listing.

https://nola.eater.com/maps/new-orle...staurants-nola
pbiflyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.