Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: BA GfL
From next year on, I’ll be hosting Thanksgiving in N.O. (tomorrow is the last day I’m hosting at my Delaware place, soon to be sold) so it is good to know the rice-vs.-potatoes issue. I will have a hell of a time converting my dad to rice, though I am also extremely handicapped in cooking traditional N.O. dishes for Thanksgiving by a sister who is pescetarian (no sausage!), a father who is severely allergic to crustaceans (no shrimp or crawfish!), a brother-in-law who can’t eat anything from the allium or brassica families (no onions or garlic or Brussels sprouts or cauliflower!), and my own unable-to-eat-to-oysters self. I’ll just make at least one side dish that can be eaten by each of the food-intolerant people at the table, and hope for the best. This is what I do already, but having to avoid so many delicious local specialties that involve forbidden ingredients is depressing. At this point the only thing I can think of that will work for everyone is maque choux (somehow without onions).
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by travelmad478
At this point the only thing I can think of that will work for everyone is maque choux (somehow without onions).
And, without the shrimp and/or crawfish.

I really feel for you. Definitely between a rock and a hard place in this great food city. I had an out-of-town relative in recently who is gluten free. Took him to DTB, which is very accommodating for people with food issues, and he cleaned his plate.

I just shared the same article with some NOLA friends and were emailing back and forth about our Thanksgiving dinners and childhood memories of dishes from Thanksgivings past. Thanks to Ian McNulty for writing that article. It brought back a flood of memories for us.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by FLYMSY

And, without the shrimp and/or crawfish.

I really feel for you. Definitely between a rock and a hard place in this great food city. I had an out-of-town relative in recently who is gluten free. Took him to DTB, which is very accommodating for people with food issues, and he cleaned his plate.
This past year both my sister and BIL, my parents, and a gluten-intolerant friend all visited me in NOLAjust not at the same time, thank God. Everyone can be accommodated...separately I made a whole list of gluten-avoidance restaurants in town, if you would like a copy of it! (The anti-gluten person I was hosting also hates all seafood, so that made it extra challenging )
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:11 pm

This past year both my sister and BIL, my parents, and a gluten-intolerant friend all visited me in NOLAjust not at the same time, thank God. Everyone can be accommodated...separately I made a whole list of gluten-avoidance restaurants in town, if you would like a copy of it! (The anti-gluten person I was hosting also hates all seafood, so that made it extra challenging )
Yikes! You might want to consider getting some new and lower maintenance relatives and friends.
Im sure they all appreciate the efforts you put forth in accommodating them and their foibles. ^ Good luck with your Thanksgiving meal and hope that yall have a wonderful time.

Thanks for the offer of the list, but Im not sure that Ill need it in the foreseeable future. They live in Oregon and this was the first time that Ive seen them in over 10 years. Ill be in touch if I do need it.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA MM
Is Gautreau's still really good? Thx.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Is Gautreau's still really good? Thx.
yes.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 2:44 pm

Yikes! You might want to consider getting some new and lower maintenance relatives and friends.
Tell me about it. I can't change the relatives, but one of the reasons I'm moving to NOLA is to get away from the unadventurous people in Delaware.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly

I would appreciate a copy of your list! Mrs T and I are heading to NOLA at the end of January, and she's gluten-intolerant ^
Old Nov 22, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Tocsin
I would appreciate a copy of your list! Mrs T and I are heading to NOLA at the end of January, and she's gluten-intolerant ^
I think many (especially lurkers) would find it useful here, if the OP doesnt mind. My wife was doing gluten free (not as an allergy but was helpful for some other diet issues) for a while and finding good options was always a chore.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:13 pm

Sure! We had excellent gluten-free food at Bearcat Cafe, Waffles on Maple (also kosher!), Surrey’s, Boucherie, and Cavan. I would also highly recommend several of the many Vietnamese restaurants around town, including Lily’s, Dong Phuong in New Orleans East, and Pho Cay. Incredibly, my gluten-averse friend also hates Asian food as well as fish, so I didn’t take her to any of those, but I’ve been to all of them and you can do very well with rice noodles (Vietnamese food also uses fish sauce rather than soy sauce, which usually contains gluten). On the seafood side of things, Peche at the higher price point and Bevi’s Seafood at the lower end are very fine choices for the gluten-phobic. Really, it’s not hard at all to manage a gluten-free meal in N.O., assuming you are OK with seafood or Asian food. My friend is just infuriatingly picky
Tocsin and rustykettel like this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:18 am

I tried the new Cafe du Monde beignet stand in City Park last week with some family members. We had 8 orders of beignets and they were the worst we’ve ever had. They were doughy, thick, dense and chewy. Not even close to what a proper beignet should be, which is light, airy and has air pockets inside.

Bring back Morning Call !!!
Blumie likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hyatt

I tried the new Cafe du Monde beignet stand in City Park last week with some family members. We had 8 orders of beignets and they were the worst weve ever had. They were doughy, thick, dense and chewy. Not even close to what a proper beignet should be, which is light, airy and has air pockets inside.

Bring back Morning Call !!!
Next time you're in Baton Rouge, swing by Coffee Call for some good beignets.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by rharrigill
Next time you're in Baton Rouge, swing by Coffee Call for some good beignets.
Or go around the block to Parrain's for some outstanding char grilled oysters. (Thanks for the tip on Coffee Call, will check it out next time).
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:03 pm

Looks like if I want Cajun or Creole food, I’ll be traveling to Cour d’Alene, Idaho. And, if I want gumbo, I’ll be going to Portland, Oregon.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...f4a07b857.html

Color me !

I’m not sure which emoji to use:
or or or or or or
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
More of a reflection of Yelp. And not in a good way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.