Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:07 pm

Heading to NOLA in a few weeks for 4 days to celebrate a milestone birthday.

We have dinner reservations at August, Saffron NOLA & LaPetite Grocery & lunch one day at Shaya.

Based on info about August & Shaya may want to relook.

We are vegetarians but we will on occasion (and definitely in NOLA) eat fish & seafood.

Thoughts on Toups, Meril, Maypop & DTB as alternatives.

Need one magical special last meal kind of dinner.

Thanks.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by balthus
Heading to NOLA in a few weeks for 4 days to celebrate a milestone birthday.

We have dinner reservations at August, Saffron NOLA & LaPetite Grocery & lunch one day at Shaya.

Based on info about August & Shaya may want to relook.

We are vegetarians but we will on occasion (and definitely in NOLA) eat fish & seafood.

Need one magical special last meal kind of dinner.

Thanks.
Here is the latest news about Alon Shaya, courtesy of an article on Eater NOLA. I have a concern about him opening two restaurants in two states. Frequently, that doesn’t turn out too well.

https://www.eater.com/2018/2/20/1703...ns-2018-spring

Since you’re vegetarian with an occasional foray into seafood, of the restaurants you mentioned, I’d probably do Meril or DTB. I haven’t been to Maypop, so it might be worth a try. You might want to consider Peche since you’re considering seafood.

For your last magical special meal to celebrate the milestone birthday, I’d look at Brennan’s, Commanders Palace, Gautreau’s or Brigtsen’s in that order. While there are some other very good restaurants, these would be my choices that fit your criteria. When you make your reservation, let them know that you’re celebrating a milestone birthday.

Edit: Re:Vegetarian - with a thanks to Eater NOLA

https://nola.eater.com/maps/best-veg...ts-new-orleans

I can vouch for 1000 Figs & Breads on Oak.
balthus likes this.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Feb 23, 2018 at 8:07 pm
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
French bread?

I lived in France yrs ago and LOVE authentic French bread (crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle). Is there a place in the FQ, or not too far from the FQ, where I could relive my youth?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by philemer
I lived in France yrs ago and LOVE authentic French bread (crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle). Is there a place in the FQ, or not too far from the FQ, where I could relive my youth?
New Orleans “French Bread” is different from a French baguette. Both are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, but I find a baguette to be a little denser on the inside.

Two very old, longtime bakers of New Orleans French Bread are Leidenheimer’s and Alois J. Binder. You can try the Rouse’s Supermarket in the Warehouse District to see if they carry either one of those brands. Rouse’s makes their own, but it doesn’t match up to the others. Alois Binder is located in the Marigny at 940 Frenchman St., which might be within walking distance for you.

If you’re here on a Saturday, you could try the Crescent City Farmers Market. They usually have someone selling baguettes.

Crescent City Farmers Market Saturday Market, Downtown New Orleans

If you’re looking more for a French baguette, there are some other good possibilities - Bellegarde Bakery, Gracious Bakery and La Boulangerie. However, none of them are close to the French Quarter. I do know that St. James Cheese Company in the Warehouse District sells Bellegarde breads, so you can look there. The Vietnamese bakery, Dong Phuong makes good French style bread but it is out in New Orleans East.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

I'm a big fan of the both Toups. The original Toups Meatery is great, but if you're vegetarian or pescetarian, then I wouldn't recommend it, very little to choose from. The newer Toups South may offer more options. I've enjoyed a few meals there, but these were special dinners so I can't vouch for the regular menu.

I also like Maypop (based onone visit), it has a very creative menu.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY

Here is the latest news about Alon Shaya, courtesy of an article on Eater NOLA. I have a concern about him opening two restaurants in two states. Frequently, that doesnt turn out too well.

https://www.eater.com/2018/2/20/1703...ns-2018-spring

Since youre vegetarian with an occasional foray into seafood, of the restaurants you mentioned, Id probably do Meril or DTB. I havent been to Maypop, so it might be worth a try. You might want to consider Peche since youre considering seafood.

For your last magical special meal to celebrate the milestone birthday, Id look at Brennans, Commanders Palace, Gautreaus or Brigtsens in that order. While there are some other very good restaurants, these would be my choices that fit your criteria. When you make your reservation, let them know that youre celebrating a milestone birthday.

Edit: Re:Vegetarian - with a thanks to Eater NOLA

https://nola.eater.com/maps/best-veg...ts-new-orleans

I can vouch for 1000 Figs & Breads on Oak.
Thank you much particularly for the link to the Eater article. Now I have a ton more choices! Will keep you posted.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:44 pm

Thank you much particularly for the link to the Eater article. Now I have a ton more choices! Will keep you posted.
I havent been, but have heard good things about Seed from people who are vegetarian.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:46 pm

I havent been, but have heard good things about Seed from people who are vegetarian.
We will have to see if we can get any museums, sightseeing and shopping in in-between eating! We arrive on 3/15 (my actual birthday & depart 3/18. How crazy is it on St. Patrick's Day? Hadn't thought it would be much celebrated but I was told that it is. Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 4:57 pm

We will have to see if we can get any museums, sightseeing and shopping in in-between eating! We arrive on 3/15 (my actual birthday & depart 3/18. How crazy is it on St. Patrick's Day? Hadn't thought it would be much celebrated but I was told that it is. Thanks.
We look for any reason to celebrate and have a parade. It does get a little crazy during that time. There will be parades in the FQ, Garden District/Irish Channel. Be forewarned, cabbages, along with carrots, potatoes, are thrown from the floats during these parades. Then you take them home to fix an Irish dinner. Link for the events while youre here:

http://www.stpatricksdayneworleans.com/links.html
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

New Orleans French Bread is different from a French baguette. Both are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, but I find a baguette to be a little denser on the inside.

Two very old, longtime bakers of New Orleans French Bread are Leidenheimers and Alois J. Binder. You can try the Rouses Supermarket in the Warehouse District to see if they carry either one of those brands. Rouses makes their own, but it doesnt match up to the others. Alois Binder is located in the Marigny at 940 Frenchman St., which might be within walking distance for you.

If youre here on a Saturday, you could try the Crescent City Farmers Market. They usually have someone selling baguettes.

Crescent City Farmers Market Saturday Market, Downtown New Orleans

If youre looking more for a French baguette, there are some other good possibilities - Bellegarde Bakery, Gracious Bakery and La Boulangerie. However, none of them are close to the French Quarter. I do know that St. James Cheese Company in the Warehouse District sells Bellegarde breads, so you can look there. The Vietnamese bakery, Dong Phuong makes good French style bread but it is out in New Orleans East.
Thanks for the bakery suggestions. The best bread French bread we've had in the US was at a French restaurant south of Lahaina, Maui. Sadly, it closed a few years ago.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: DL, AA, UA
If youre looking more for a French baguette, there are some other good possibilities - Bellegarde Bakery, Gracious Bakery and La Boulangerie. However, none of them are close to the French Quarter. I do know that St. James Cheese Company in the Warehouse District sells Bellegarde breads, so you can look there. The Vietnamese bakery, Dong Phuong makes good French style bread but it is out in New Orleans East.
FYI, the Bellegarde team apprenticed in France. And they mill their own flour. To my taste, their breads are the closest to the French style.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:05 am

Former Nola local here!
Please consider Drago's in Metairie!
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by PaxALotl
Former Nola local here!
Please consider Drago's in Metairie!
I think Drago's is certainly the best for chargrilled oysters but for everything else on the menu I find them just about average. Anyway, if you are already in NOLA proper just go to the Drago's at the Hilton Riverside and get yourself a drink and some chargrilled oysters for an appetizer and then head to a better restaurant for dinner..
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite

Went to Apolline last month. We used to like it, but came away disappointed this time. Upperline is worth a try, but in the same area is Avo, which is quite good.

We opted for Upperline. Phenomenal service. Excellent food. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend it again. We can't wait to go back.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Crab in March?

Looks like Blue Crab season ii not open in March & April this year. What type of crab, if any, can we expect in NOLA in March?

Our favorite Is Dungeness and I realize it's not available in the Gulf.

Last edited by philemer; Mar 2, 2018 at 8:18 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.