Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Old Mar 20, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Had an extremely disappointing meal at Ralph's a few months ago. With so many amazing options Nola, Ralph's has been crossed off the list.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 7:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by philemer
Can you do this w/in the next week? We'll be there next Tuesday.
When they serve the soup, they'll offer to top it with sherry. Do not turn this down!!
Old Mar 25, 2018, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by controller1
When they serve the soup, they'll offer to top it with sherry. Do not turn this down!!
I'd never turn down a Sherry, any way it was served.
controller1 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Q: Poboys?
A: Parkway Bakery
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by jg70124
Not Ralph's?
Originally Posted by philemer
Can you do this w/in the next week? We'll be there next Tuesday.
Had the turtle soup at Ralph's today. As soon as the server sat it in front of me, the person sitting next to me must be able to read minds. She looked at it and, unsolicited without prior discussion, asked if that was the turtle soup. I said yes and before I could say anything else, she said. "It's not dark enough and not as dark as the one at Commander's.". Took the words right out of my mouth. I hate to say it, but it was a mediocre version of turtle soup.

Edit: In fairness, I should say that the rest of the meal was pretty good. Also, the 25 martinis at lunch were delightful. ^

Last edited by FLYMSY; Apr 7, 2018 at 6:21 am
Old Jun 2, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Just getting my faves into this thread, to which I will contribute more in the future now that I am a NOLA resident. I live Uptown and have been attempting to eat at as many places in my general area as possible (while still remaining a size 2, which requires a lot of offsetting exercise!)

Some that have been mentioned already to which I can give enthusiastic thumbs up: Upperline (5 blocks from my house and seriously the best gumbo I have ever had), High Hat Cafe, Parkway Bakery, St. James Cheese, Turkey & the Wolf (great sandwiches although I could do without the enforced whimsy), Cochon Butcher (good but overpriced IMO), Fharmacy.

My favorite po-boys are Parkway Bakery, Bevi’s Seafood (for the shrimp—also an excellent place to eat crawfish if you’re not having it in someone’s back yard), and Domilise’s. Still have yet to try many other storied establishments, including Guy’s, which is 6 blocks from my house. Parran’s just opened a location close to my house which is not as great as the others, but a solid choice in a pinch.

My favorite breakfasts, all near my house Uptown, are at Toast, Surrey’s, and Gracious Bakery.

The best ice cream in town, IMO, is at Creole Creamery on Prytania St., 4 blocks from my house, which is both wonderful and highly dangerous.

Other good memories:
- Neyow’s Creole Cafe (Mid City, not fancy and not gourmet but a very enjoyable experience of down-home cooking, what I would call Creole soul food)
- Rebirth (Warehouse District, solid renditions of local favorites like redfish etc.)
- Peche (Warehouse District, creative though hipsterish seafood)
- The Joint (Bywater, very fine BBQ)
- La Crepe Nanou (Uptown, very friendly place with nice French food)
- Bywater Bakery (stupendously good and decadent sandwiches, plus other baked goods, breakfast “geaux cups” and more)
- Bacchanal (Bywater, outdoor wine garden with excellent food and live music)
- Cafe Degas (Bayou St. John, very local place with quite good French food)

One category that has not been mentioned in my reading of this thread is Vietnamese food, which at this point I consider to be authentic local cuisine. The banh mi sandwich, a.k.a. Vietnamese po-boy, is a must-eat, and I am not too proud to say that the best one I’ve had yet was at Banh Mi Boys next to the Texaco on Airline Drive in Metairie. I have yet to get out to Dong Phuong Bakery but it is high on my list. There’s excellent pho to be had around town as well.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 6:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know it’s in Jefferson Parish, but is Deanie’s in Bucktown still open? More to the point, is it still good? It’s probably been 20 years since I last ate there.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by kale73
I know it’s in Jefferson Parish, but is Deanie’s in Bucktown still open? More to the point, is it still good? It’s probably been 20 years since I last ate there.
Yes, it's still there in Bucktown. I haven't eaten there yet.

As of last weekend, there's also a Deanie's on Magazine St in the Irish Channel, and of course, there's also one on Iberville in the Quarter. I have eaten at the one in the Quarter and was not impressed.

https://www.nola.com/food/index.ssf/..._magazine.html
Old Jun 9, 2018, 7:05 pm

IMHO, Deanie's lost their mojo quite a few years ago. A better choice, if you're looking for Jefferson Parish places, would probably be Station 6 in Bucktown or The Galley on Metairie Rd.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by swag
... there's also one on Iberville in the Quarter. I have eaten at the one in the Quarter and was not impressed.
With the proper ingredients -- good size and quality shrimp and Leidenheimer bread -- a shrimp po'boy should be a pretty straight forward menu item for a quality New Orleans establishment. But all one needs to do is to compare the Deanie's shrimp po'boy to those available from, say, Parkway or Domiise's, and it's easy to conclude that Deanie's better days are behind it. Same ingredients. Very different finished products. (And don't get me started on the crime-against-humanity that Acme calls a shrimp po'boy.)
Old Jun 10, 2018, 8:49 pm

Damn, you’re making me long for the days of Bruning’s, Fitzgerald’s, Sid-Mar’s and Swanson’s. Most of what is out at the Lakefront now is just wanna-be’s.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:51 am

Yea its still in Bucktown, and much like its been for the last 40 years, its still mediocre. If your looking for that kind of experience I would go to New Orleans Seafood & Spirits. If your looking for a more Brunnings type menu I would go to the Blue Crab on Lakeshore Dr (about 2 min from Deanies).

Last edited by sgent; Jun 11, 2018 at 7:18 pm Reason: FLYMSY update below.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:58 pm

I hate to say this, since I know the owner, but I had one of the most mediocre fried seafood platters imaginable at Blue Crab. I left the majority of the food on the plate.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Took dinner last Saturday at K-Paul's. Had an amazing etouffe stuffed softshell crab. They also had Chopin vodka which is my favorite but I almost never see in restaurants. Nice space too though pretty quiet on a Saturday night.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:59 am

Off topic, but still deals with food in NOLA. In the spirit of the season, and the article holds true for Christmas, also.

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...8f06893ea.html

Oyster dressing. Yum! Looking forward to it tomorrow. ^

Rice! For sure!! My wife isn’t from NOLA and for our first Thanksgiving, I was stunned to find out that mashed potatoes was a “thing” for Thanksgiving. We compromise and have both at our house now. This past week, I was talking about Thanksgiving with a young woman working at St. James Cheese and she said that she was bringing mashed potatoes to her friend’s house. I said she must not be from New Orleans. She said she was from Massachusetts and wanted to know why I said that. I told her because we have rice and not mashed potatoes. She was quite surprised and wanted to know what we ate with the rice - “Peas?”. Arrrrgh! I informed her that we use the gravy from when we’re cooking the turkey. We both had a good laugh.

“Faubourg Dorignac”. This made me laugh out loud. It’s exactly where we shop every week. Best selection of local products. Great bakery and deli/cafe. I have to admit I’m pretty obsessive about patronizing local businesses as much as possible.

Mirlitons. Double yum! A great Creole dish. If you ever have the chance to try this in someone’s home (hit or miss in a restaurant), don’t pass it up. BTW, it is not pronounced the way that it is spelled. We’ll be having it tomorrow. ^

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
rustykettel and danbnash like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.