Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Iím not sure which emoji to use:
or or or or or or
All of the above!

David
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Looks like if I want Cajun or Creole food, Iíll be traveling to Cour díAlene, Idaho. And, if I want gumbo, Iíll be going to Portland, Oregon.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...f4a07b857.html

Color me !

Iím not sure which emoji to use:
or or or or or or
I'm equally skeptical, but in fairness my favorite Chicago-style hot dog is found in Ann Arbor, Michigan (not Chicago), and my favorite chacarero sandwich is found in Boston (not Chile). That said, I have never, in 30 years of searching, found Creole or Cajun cuisine anywhere in the world that matches what can be found in Louisiana and the immediate environs.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
.... That said, I have never, in 30 years of searching, found Creole or Cajun cuisine anywhere in the world that matches what can be found in Louisiana and the immediate environs.
(above Bolding is mine)

Funny you should mention that. We were in Australia last August and had a very bizarre experience in Sydney & Adelaide. Hereís a quote from my post in the Oceania forum:

ĒAnother interesting/weird experience we had was when our waiter at Bōrn told us about a New Orleans influenced restaurant a few blocks down Barangaroo called NOLA (our shorthand for New Orleans, Louisiana). Out of curiosity, we went for dinner that night. Amazingly, they had an Abita Beer on the menu, which is a local craft beer from our area. Food was decent. Lots of New Orleans music was played. Noise level was pretty high.

If that wasnít strange enough, while we were in Adelaide, someone took us to another restaurant named NOLA, which is totally unrelated to the one in Sydney. It was another kinda, sorta New Orleans inspired restaurant. One of their menu items was a Cajun Sweet Potato PoíBoy, ďThe classic New Orleans sandwich ď. I can assure that no Cajun would be caught eating such a sandwich, if it even existed. And, itís definitely not a New Orleans classic. We looked around the place, but didnít eat there.

We thought it was quite ironic and amusing that there were two totally unrelated restaurants in two different cities, named NOLA. It certainly added a little highlight to our trip.Ē

My wifeís mantra was ďWe didnít come to Australia for the food.Ē

Now, to bring this back on topic, a new restaurant thatís worth trying - Juniorís on Harrison

https://www.juniorsonharrison.com
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
(above Bolding is mine)

Funny you should mention that. We were in Australia last August and had a very bizarre experience in Sydney & Adelaide. Hereís a quote from my post in the Oceania forum:

ĒAnother interesting/weird experience we had was when our waiter at Bōrn told us about a New Orleans influenced restaurant a few blocks down Barangaroo called NOLA (our shorthand for New Orleans, Louisiana). Out of curiosity, we went for dinner that night. Amazingly, they had an Abita Beer on the menu, which is a local craft beer from our area. Food was decent. Lots of New Orleans music was played. Noise level was pretty high.

If that wasnít strange enough, while we were in Adelaide, someone took us to another restaurant named NOLA, which is totally unrelated to the one in Sydney. It was another kinda, sorta New Orleans inspired restaurant. One of their menu items was a Cajun Sweet Potato PoíBoy, ďThe classic New Orleans sandwich ď. I can assure that no Cajun would be caught eating such a sandwich, if it even existed. And, itís definitely not a New Orleans classic. We looked around the place, but didnít eat there.

We thought it was quite ironic and amusing that there were two totally unrelated restaurants in two different cities, named NOLA. It certainly added a little highlight to our trip.Ē

My wifeís mantra was ďWe didnít come to Australia for the food.Ē

Now, to bring this back on topic, a new restaurant thatís worth trying - Juniorís on Harrison

https://www.juniorsonharrison.com
Parkway serves a Sweet Potato Po Boy. It's not "Cajun", but I'll give the Aussie's a pass on that.

1929 POTATO OR SWEET POTATOThe first poor boy ever made by the Martin Brothers to feed the striking street car workers. We fry the potatoes golden brown and cover it in roast beef gravy.
And to keep things on topic, three new restaurants I've tried and liked a LOT.
Zasu
Gianna
Palm & Pine
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thereís a New Orleans-themed restaurant in Dubai called NOLA. I wonít even try. However, not far from there is a fast casual place called Pickl that serves a superb Nashville hot chicken sandwich.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
And to keep things on topic, three new restaurants I've tried and liked a LOT.
Zasu
Gianna
Palm & Pine
I liked Palm & Pine a lot too. Itís a nice new option near the Joy and Saenger.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
Was unable to get there on my last trip (which was mostly spent in Baton Rouge). Looking to return sometime in March.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by kale73
Was unable to get there on my last trip (which was mostly spent in Baton Rouge). Looking to return sometime in March.
We vacation in New Orleans 2-3x per year and visited Parkway for the first time back in December.

It was easily one of the 2-3 best po-boys I've ever had. The amount of shrimp they put on the sandwich would easily eclipse the price of the sandwich anywhere else.

The line moves fast. The sauces, drinks, condiments, etc. are all self serve. Water is available from a jug. The majority of the seating is outdoors in folding chairs under a tent. Very, very "no frills", but the sandwiches are awesome.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aww3583
We vacation in New Orleans 2-3x per year and visited Parkway for the first time back in December.

It was easily one of the 2-3 best po-boys I've ever had. The amount of shrimp they put on the sandwich would easily eclipse the price of the sandwich anywhere else.

The line moves fast. The sauces, drinks, condiments, etc. are all self serve. Water is available from a jug. The majority of the seating is outdoors in folding chairs under a tent. Very, very "no frills", but the sandwiches are awesome.
One neednít wait in the line at Parkway. If you sit at the bar or one of the adjacent high tops you order from the bartender.
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 10:16 am

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Favorite New Orleans restaurant ?

We will be there for Christmas with a group so planning ahead. All budgets please.
FLYMSY likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 4:34 pm

Any preferences regarding location in the city? Type of food? Where are you staying? How many people? A little more info would be helpful.

To get you started:

Boucherie
Bistro Daisy
La Petite Grocery
St. James Cheese
Banh Mi Boys
Rosedale
Juniorís on Harrison
The Joint
Central City BBQ
Trepís (nice ambiance for drinks & appetizers. forget the mains.)
Lilette
Turkey and the Wolf
Avo
Brigtsenís
Emerilís
Miss River (brand new restaurant in the new Four Seasons hotel. Will experience it for the first time in 2 weeks, so I canít vouch for it yet.)
Peche
Herbsaint

The list could almost be never ending. 😁 Since it is a holiday time, make your reservations soon, especially for the high end restaurants.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 9:39 am

Programs: BA GfL
The list is just endless. I live here, and I still have a huge list of places that I havenít been to yet but want to hit. gungadin, you need to be a lot more specific!
Old Oct 31, 2021, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Cochon was my favorite on a weeklong business trip to NOLA last year.

Same owner/executive chef as PÍche, I believe. PÍche was good but maybe a bit overrated.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 3:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I got tipped off by a local to a spot called Bahn Mi Boys out on Airline in Metairie. It shares space with a gas station and makes a hell of a sandwich. Great fries too.
pbiflyer likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by CMK10
I got tipped off by a local to a spot called Bahn Mi Boys out on Airline in Metairie. It shares space with a gas station and makes a hell of a sandwich. Great fries too.
Wonderfully, Banh Mi Boys has just opened a second location on Magazine St., Uptown. I now have to just bike for 10 minutes (or drive for 5) to get my BMB fix. We *love* this place.
Hoyaheel likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.