Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who would be the next Skyteam member?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2009, 12:28 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by skyteamelite
I posted a thread on AV-TA, CM-P5 and alliance membership in Other North and South America Frequent Flyer Programmes:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...n-america.html

I won't repeat myself here in order to avoid double-posting, but I would love to know what everyone else thinks about this... As well as any other news/articles you come across on the subject.
I will be interesting to see if this does push them towards Skyteam - with the whole OceanAir connection in Brazil, this *might* have an impact on Gol potentially entering Skyteam as well.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
I will be interesting to see if this does push them towards Skyteam - with the whole OceanAir connection in Brazil, this *might* have an impact on Gol potentially entering Skyteam as well.
Gol might go to Oneworld due to their tie up with AA.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 1:59 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Originally Posted by danimal226
China Eastern merging with Shanghai Airlines might mean getting another Chinese carrier in SkyTeam.

http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=18149
Or into Star Alliance; or even oneworld. Nothing's a given on this one.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: SkyTeam: AF/KL Gold. Star Alliance: CM Gold; AV Gold; UA. OneWorld: BA Sapphire
Could someone please remind me, why are they bringing TAROM in?

If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't add any new destinations to the ST network... The Eastern Europe coverage provided by Czech is already pretty good...

Where's the benefit for the alliance?

Why don't they focus on South-East Asia, India, Central/South America and the Middle East instead?!
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:08 am

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals

If I'm not mistaken, it doesn't add any new destinations to the ST network... The Eastern Europe coverage provided by Czech is already pretty good...

Why don't they focus on South-East Asia, India, Central/South America and the Middle East instead?!
Because they get what they can. TAROM's becoming a member does not prevent ST from seeking airlines in SE Asia. Why not bring them in if they want? What's the problem here?
Old Oct 16, 2009, 1:13 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK

I suspect that it is more in the nature of a long term strategy for Skyteam , although Romania is currently one of the poorest countries in Europe it is also one of the more populous , if the Romanian economy grows in future that is potentially a big pool of additional Skyteam flyers in the future ( I think this was probably the same reason the Star went for LOT , for the long term potential rather than the current Polish market) .

It also will do them no harm to have a hub in Eastern Europe to add to their existing ones in Western and Central Europe - pax hate backtracking , especially time sensitive pax .

It is not a zero-sum game . Bringing in RO does not preclude expanding in other geographical areas as well .
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by danimal226
China Eastern merging with Shanghai Airlines might mean getting another Chinese carrier in SkyTeam.

http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=18149
Source??? When China Eastern will able to joins into entry the Skyteam sometime in near the future. So it will be perfect opportunity to see China Eastern will be closer to joins entry the alliance.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
b/c they will take whoever will come.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: Flying Blue life Platinum , *A Gold ,PC Plat. IC Royal Ambassador , SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by nomad1974
Or into Star Alliance; or even oneworld. Nothing's a given on this one.
china eastern gives bonus miles on asiamiles, that's all ; they have their own FFP.
Shanghai Airlines is already full member of *A, like Air China.
so I wonder if MU + FM will come to ST / the situation in CHINA would be very unbalanced !

*A : CA MU FM
ST : CZ

OR
*A : CA
st : CZ+MU+FM

I hope they will join *A : much more miles in C or F classes than ST;
F in CZ : 125%
F in CA or FM : 200%

since one year i almost stopped to use CZ for this reason, even it is a better domestic cy than MU.

PS MU could also join Marco Polo club, convenient with biz with HKG, and dragonair.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by sh1982
I think AV and TA are on the way of joining SKY:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=a9VY6IRt_Ykc

IF this really goes through and they join SKY i think this will solve the South American covarage problom with hubs in San Salvador,Bogota and Lima.

AV has limited service to the US and even more limited service to Europe. Connecting to EZE, GRU and SCL (the deep S. American markets) is crucial for Skyteam and I don't see how AV or TA can help in this regard.
Reason being if I have to travel from JFK-EZE they have to do a lot in terms of aircraft quality/connections to make it appealing enough for me to want to take the flight via BOG. TA on a 737 is not happening for me for a distance equivalent to JFK-HNL or JFK-CAI.

Skyteam is still a laggard. Seems like they like to scrape up the dregs and just bring them in.

If you want to travel US-EU great. Asia is lousy and Oceania and S. America are virtually non-existent.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, Gee there is LAN, its already in another alliance, the smallest and crappiest one where it is actually a major player, so I guess they are out?? Aerolineas Argentinas is almost non existant, and everyone is playing footsie with GOL after every major Brazilian airline ceased to exist. So, I guess that there may never be a "deep Latin American carrier" in ST, oh, woe, what is ST to do. Oceania, oh yes, not that CO is leaving, I guess they better sign up "V" or a crop dusting operation. There is only one player and one half player in that market, they have been signed up in the other alliances for over a decade, so yes, you are right ST just can't be competitive in that huge 24 million person market known as Oceania, the one that most airlines DO NOT fly to because it is not profitable. In any case you'd fly Aerolineas Argentinas to EZE rather than DL or CO before it? And then you talk about dregs? While ST mat have been accused of this in the past, * seems to have taken that title the last 4-5 years.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 6:33 am

MU+FM will be in SKYTEAM since the chairman of MU likes SKYTEAM.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 4:46 am

Programs: Many
Not sure this is enough good reason...
Old Oct 23, 2009, 5:17 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
The current chairman of MU is the same chairman who brought CZ to SkyTeam.
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:46 am

Programs: Flying Blue life Platinum , *A Gold ,PC Plat. IC Royal Ambassador , SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by MUFFP
MU+FM will be in SKYTEAM since the chairman of MU likes SKYTEAM.
why not. So ST will have like a kingdom in China ! for me it looks bad. In F with FM or CA in domestics fligths one get 200% miles unstead 150% or may be only 125% miles for ST. Now seldom I use CZ, and in anyway it wasn't so convenient from Shanghai. So it means i'll have much less choice than before. China Eastern's hub is in shanghai ((((

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.