> Possible Members!
Malaysia Airlines
Phillipine Airlines
China Airlines
Garuda Indonesia
China Eastern
GOL + Varig
Kingfisher Airlines
Air Algérie, Air Tahiti Nui, Hawaiian Airlines, Alaska Airlines with Horizon Air, Jet Airways, Bangkok Airways (associate) and Uzbekistan Airways (associate) are missing from the list. PAL is also completely speculatory (although I really wish someone will invite them to get it done and over with).
Old May 18, 2009, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Alaska Airlines with Horizon Air
The only way AS and QX join ST is if DL buys them (and it would have to be with a load of cash, too, as AS management are none too keen on being bought out- they really desire to stay independent). No way is AS going to give up AA/BA/QF/CO codesharing revenue for joining an alliance, especially since they already get everything from DL/KL/AF that they'd stand to get in ST- full codesharing, feed in places like SEA, PDX, LAX, ANC, elites get full EQM, RDM and lounge access (and even status reciprocity for upgrades on NW, soon to expand to DL as well).
Old May 26, 2009, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Sorry for this but, What are the requirements to join SkyTeam? If an airline wanted to join, (eg. VN) how come it takes so long for them to formally join?
Old May 26, 2009, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by soorox
Sorry for this but, What are the requirements to join SkyTeam? If an airline wanted to join, (eg. VN) how come it takes so long for them to formally join?
They have to fulfill the requirements set by the alliance, in terms of safety, in-flight service, hardware, software, need some other airlines already in the alliance to support its application, need the money for membership fee
I think there are way more than this, but these few are the main ones
Old May 31, 2009, 5:06 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hfly
No SAA was a Skymiles partner, but never a ST partner. I believe that Swiss was technically a member for a few weeks, but I could be wrong about the exact circumstances.
LX almost joined OW, but not ST. In fact it was all pulled pretty much at the last moment after LX and BA had their spat over the FF programme arrangements. LH subsequently stepped in and also agreed to take over LX and the rest as they say is now history.

LX at the end of the day was the big opportunity missed by BA. They would have made an excellent addition to OW and cemented OW's position in Europe rather than the current scenario where all OW carriers are based at the edge of the continent. LX also definitely fitted the quality aspirations of the alliance (unlike MA).
Old May 31, 2009, 6:20 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
If I remember correctly, Air France didn't want Swiss to join SkyTeam. That was back a few years ago.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
Yes Atlantic Excellence, the first alliance, referenced many times on FT.
Don't think it's the first alliance as KLM-nwa was the First that really got the alliance ideology took off.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Akiestar
If I remember correctly, Air France didn't want Swiss to join SkyTeam. That was back a few years ago.
A quick good search seems to reveal with LX looked towards AF briefly after it's failed bid to join OW. From the news articles I have read though it seems it was no longer than a 5 minute conversation however (i.e. never really considered seriously by either parties).
Old Jun 16, 2009, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
It has been said that when the original Swissair and Sabena left the codeshare arrangement with Delta, it was the beginning of their eventual demise.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
No, because LX is already jons into Star Alliance. That's why AA is no longer existing the former codesharing partnership with LX. Because Swiss want to be transferred to another alliance to become Star.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertS975
It has been said that when the original Swissair and Sabena left the codeshare arrangement with Delta, it was the beginning of their eventual demise.
Do you remember DL is no longer codeshare/SkyMiles partnership with SR. Because the old codeshare has been termination back on August 2000. The codesharing is now to be consider it done.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 1:48 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by RobertS975
indeed it has been said .... by you in this thread , but with all due respect I have never heard anyone else say it .

I have usually seen the blame for the collapse of SR laid at the feet of their disastrous 'Hunter' policy where they bought up shares in a variety of different European carriers , most of them notorious basket cases - in particular Sabena which of course lost money , IIRC , for something like 72 years out of a 75 year existence .

To get back on topic of next Skyteam members

announced : VN

rumoured with varying degrees of (un)certainty :CI MU AT AH AV MH PG Uzbekistan Airways , Gol , 9W ( but let's be honest , everyone thinks that they are getting 9W )

in someones wildest dreams : SQ
Old Jun 17, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
9W ( but let's be honest , everyone thinks that they are getting 9W )
Although with this announcement from OW (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...-expected.html) and Air India joining *A, the likelihood for ST potentially increases.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiwiandrew
announced : VN

rumoured with varying degrees of (un)certainty :CI MU AT AH AV MH PG Uzbekistan Airways , Gol , 9W ( but let's be honest , everyone thinks that they are getting 9W )
Do you know which name airlines is that will joining into SkyTeam? Could you please put it out for which airlines code is that?
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by N830MH
Do you know which name airlines is that will joining into SkyTeam? Could you please put it out for which airlines code is that?
Here you go:

----

Announced: Vietnam Airlines (VN)

Rumored with varying degrees of (un)certainty: China Airlines (CI), China Eastern Airlines (MU), Royal Air Maroc (AT), Air Algérie (AH), Avianca (AV), Malaysia Airlines (MH), Bangkok Airways (PG), Uzbekistan Airways (HY), Gol (G4), Jet Airways (9W)

In someone's wildest dreams: Singapore Airlines (SQ)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.