Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIXT - Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2022, 11:06 am

As an update: I had my first rental as a "Platinum Light" and they didn't have the category I had booked, so I was given the choice between a one-category downgrade or a 3-category upgrade. It was the first time they didn't offer me a German car (the choice was between Peugeot and Nissan) but this may have been due to lack of availability rather than the change from full Plat to Plat Light.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by CosmicGirl
As an update: I had my first rental as a "Platinum Light" and they didn't have the category I had booked, so I was given the choice between a one-category downgrade or a 3-category upgrade. It was the first time they didn't offer me a German car (the choice was between Peugeot and Nissan) but this may have been due to lack of availability rather than the change from full Plat to Plat Light.
Thanks! I'll be interested to hear how it proceeds for you.
Old May 6, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
I just called into the Sixt USA line and asked them why my Platinum rates weren't appearing on the website and one device's app.

She first stated that I had to re-register to get the Plat status, but then I requested her to check my status and she said I was Plat.

Then regarding upgrades, she stated that there was a note in bold stating "not eligible for upgrades" - Anyone know why this is??

She gave me an even better rate than the website, but at the same time, both Hertz and Budget (through AutoSlash) have better cars much cheaper than their offering...so only with an upgrade would I even consider renting from Sixt!

PS: Anyone have any (recent) experience renting at BER - Berlin Brandenburg?
Anyone also have the same notation in their Sixt Plat account - stating "not available for upgrades"?

Should I just create a new account then?
Old May 16, 2022, 11:11 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, LH Miles & More, Air Asia BigShot, Les Collectioneurs
Anyone also have the same notation in their Sixt Plat account - stating "not available for upgrades"?

where in your account do you see that?
Old May 17, 2022, 2:34 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by Justin Case
where in your account do you see that?
This was advised to me by a US-based (sort of clueless, but honest) agent who read this out to me from her system...
Ordpc likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 11:52 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Sixt Platinum (through our corporate agreement)

16 days rental with pick up at Leipzig (City location) and return at Munich Airport.
Booked: A6, BMW 520 (PCAR ?)
Got: BMW 530 Touring (LWAR ?)

Had the unfortunate "luck" to rent on Apr 29 morning, the 1st day of the major, global system outage. Contract created manually and lucky I had all details of my reservation incl. price etc. I was going to drive in Austria and more importantly "through" the Czech Republic on way to Austria. I had added the "foreign use" option to my rental when making the booking, so that was fine.

However, I had booked PCAR (A6, BMW 520) which is the highest car category allowed by Sixt to be driven in Czech Republic (Austria no issue), so in theory I was not eligible for any upgrade.

Was offered an Audi A6 Avant or a BMW 5-series Touring though engine and group (P or L) wasn't clear to the (nice) agent as he couldn't check the system and keys were just being brought down from garage by staff. I asked him which was the nicer ride for a road trip and he said the BMW which turned out to be a great choice as it was an absolutely fully loaded BMW 530i Touring with full safety package (radar, head up display etc.), laser lights, M package, full leather, heated and ventilated seats, ... (the list goes on) which is L Group (due to the bigger engine).

At that stage, with the system issues and all, the agent confirmed I could drive it into / through Czech Republic and he probably could have cared less at that point. I asked about damage, but he couldn't look it up of course, so just said that I had the full insurance with zero deductible and no need to worry, plus I should take pics if I spotted something ( I always do anyways).
Justin Case and Ordpc like this.

Last edited by demue; May 29, 2022 at 9:01 pm
Old May 29, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: IB Plat - Hilton Gold - Marriott Gold - IHG Ambassador
Hello. As a Platinum member I have not had 1 single upgrade in years.
Many agents when renting indicate that the site does not offer upgrades,
or that being Platinum in Europe "does not entitle you may get an upgrade even if we have cars available".
no bonus points....in fact no points at all...

Maybe living in Spain means no benefits?

As a "birthday suprise" I got this cyberattack issue with prevents SIXT from doing almost anything 😂
Old May 30, 2022, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by chejus
Hello. As a Platinum member I have not had 1 single upgrade in years.
Many agents when renting indicate that the site does not offer upgrades,
or that being Platinum in Europe "does not entitle you may get an upgrade even if we have cars available".
no bonus points....in fact no points at all...

Maybe living in Spain means no benefits?

As a "birthday suprise" I got this cyberattack issue with prevents SIXT from doing almost anything 😂
It might have something to do with the following, a much discussed issue. Here is one thread that discusses lack of upgrades for Platinums.

Two levels of Sixt Platinum: one with upgrades/one without

Apparently, you need to have 10 Sixt rentals per year to get upgrades as a Plat.
chejus likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 12:37 pm

Sixt Gold
LHR Sofitel T5
CDMR booked

BMW 118i MSport automatic received. Sixt location at LHR is a bit of a drive but the shuttle was quick. Check in was super smooth and drop off

MUC
PCAR

BMW 530i diesel

GVA
PCAR

downgrade to Volvo XC40
Old Jun 22, 2022, 7:20 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
XC40 is quite small versus PCAR, not great unless you didn't need the space. Hope they charged you a lower rate.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:45 pm

Rented from downtown Manhattan NYC location. Really great, friendly staff. Very helpful.

The app now lets me pick my car- but all day it offered me nothing but upgrades for $40/day (all to new BMWs). Finally, I got a notification that said "FREE UPGRADE" but it was to a 4-Runner with 41k miles. No thanks.

At the counter a very friendly/helpful guy offered me more upgrades, and then put me in a 2021 Camry with 41k miles. But it had a warning light on the dash, so I flagged down a nearby Sixt employee who quickly put me in a new 2022 Rav-4 (4k miles, FL plate). Definitely an upgrade over the old, base Camry I was initially given. All in all a positive experience.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:00 pm

Once again, the SIXT app offered me nothing except upgrade options. If I didnt want to pay more $, I couldnt use the app and had to go to the counter. Remains very disappointing.

Staff at downtown Manhattan location still very helpful, though they appeared to be out of cars today and were frazzled. I had to wait 20-30 mins for car returns to come in, and they tried to get me to take a downgrade promising me that the garage was plain empty (and that the cars I was looking at were locked/broken). I ended up with a very sweet X3 with 16k miles so I am not complaining.

Others waiting around were receiving Corollas, Camrys, Altimas. Definite move towards Toyota/Nissan vehicles from what I see, with the upgrades/premiums being solidly BMW/Volvo.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, National Executive, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
No Sixt Status - second time using them
FRA Airport
Booked: BMW 530/Audi A6 (PCAR)
Received: BMW X4M

Process of actually getting the X4M was a bit of a journey. I arrived at the counter about an hour earlier than my reservation, as flight landed early and there was no wait for immigration. Got the the counter and was told they were short staffed getting returned cars prepared to rent. They mentioned they had a 530 Wagon that had been returned and cleaned, but no one could find the keys. The agent then found an X3 in the system. She at first attempted to sell it to me as an upgrade, but I told her I'd be fine taking it with no additional charge. Finished the paperwork and headed up to the lot. When I arrived at the lot it was about half-full and there was no X3, so I just started walking around pressing buttons on the key fob. I then noticed an X1 off in the corner flashing its lights. Looking at it more carefully, I realized that the X1 had a license plate that was once digit off from the X3 I had supposedly rented. I headed back down to the counter and waited my turn again (only two desks open), and explained the situation. The agent was apologetic and thankful that the issue had been discovered before I drove off in a car that I technically had not rented. After quite a bit more typing and confirming that I would be returning the car at the same location, the agent noted that I would be getting a similar vehicle with an "engine upgrade". The X4M was very nice, but a little loud at autobahn speeds.
demue, Justin Case and Ordpc like this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 12:44 am

Long process, but certainly a nice upgrade. Plenty of people who would be salivating over that ride. Hope you enjoyed it despite the throaty engine sound that some would love actually .
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:54 pm

Rented at EWR today. Once again, the app eagerly offered me nothing but upgrades: I had reserved a BMW 5 Series, and the app only had BMW x7s and Infiniti Q80s for me, that I would have had to pay $$$ for.

I then had to wait 45 minutes for a car to appear because they were all sold out of luxury sedans. It was plain awkward to have that conversation as we looked out the window at rows and rows of BMW X1s, X3s, and even a really nice looking x4. I said I'd happily take any lux vehicle, but "they had none." At some point, this became ridiculous because the app is TELLING ME they have an x7, so they DO have one, they just want me to pay for it even though they dont have any other car to give me. Took behind the scenes cajoling before I was finally and begrudgingly given an X7 (with 39k miles).
Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.