Reload this Page >

The road to COVID-19 reopen starts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The road to COVID-19 reopen starts

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2021, 10:58 pm

Remember that every state has a vaccination registry. The pharmacy enters it online when they give you a shot. So if in the same state they'll see you've already had your Covid shots.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage
That is true(and SQ says need SHC format issued by the CommonTrustNetwork), but do you think the SQ checkin counter will know what to do with a qr code saying "Personal Digital COVID vaccine record- state of California"
The QR code is what gets scanned when you apply for the VTP. If it is sufficient for them to issue the VTP, it is clearly sufficient for being accepted by the airline. It is the QR code that is the proof of vaccination, not the header on the screen (the QR issued by CA has the same information as the QR issued by Wal-Mart/CVS/etc). Do you honestly believe that the check-in agents at LAX will not be familiar with the CA vaccine pass? The document check at the airport will just be a precursory check to make sure you have what is asked for.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 7:44 am

Isn't that the whole point of uploading QR codes to Singapore in advance. It eliminates the need for airlines to assess vaccination certificates. All they need to see is that you've been given an OK to fly by Singapore.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by 889
Isn't that the whole point of uploading QR codes to Singapore in advance. It eliminates the need for airlines to assess vaccination certificates. All they need to see is that you've been given an OK to fly by Singapore.
Again, SG citizen/pr don't need to apply for Vtl.
I'm sure most of those peoole won't be showing a MyChart epic/CA/NY qr code.

But it's just easier if you show a qr code with "smart health card" printed next to it , during checkin.

Versus if you show a NY excelsior pass plus while checking in in Europe (and remember Ny excelsior pass doesn't count, must be excelsior pass plus)

So you should use the actual smart health system to verify that everything is good

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 14, 2021 at 8:32 am
Old Oct 14, 2021, 12:15 pm

Things like this too
https://arstechnica.com/information-...-went-offline/

anyone check if the common health pass app requires data connection after storing pass?

I guess most foreign Vtl travelers would be ok (just lookup the Vtl application for the qr code), just too bad for SG citizens who don't have to apply for Vtl approval, and can't get their nhs app to work.

someone said the NHS app generates printable copies valid for 1 month, any idea able Commonhealth app?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 3:18 pm

The CommonPass app displays the QR code fine when you are offline.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 4:21 am

VTL Australia and Switzerland nOv 8 (aus not fully open to SG citizens though)
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...-able-to-enter

Wonder why south Korea was announced earlier but Still not yet started. Could be like Australia and just start earlier one-way first (Vtl one way into SG, SG not yet allowed into australia, some aus States predict Dec opening)

I guess I'm surprised by the full-steam-ahead approach for VTL, just unfortunate about domestic situation (which seems more or less about hospitalization caapcity)

SG has pretty high per capita covid cases... But i guess other countries don't care enough,due to high vaccination rates using mostly mRNA?

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 26, 2021 at 4:31 am
Old Oct 26, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
which seems more or less about hospitalization caapcity
As it was mentioned by a number of times by outside and even inside observers, the problem is not with the capacity but rather with the policy which led to the current situation.

The main issue - that covid is not cancer diagnosis and/or another deadly illness if you are vaccinated, has not yet been broadly broadcasted by the authorities.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
As it was mentioned by a number of times by outside and even inside observers, the problem is not with the capacity but rather with the policy which led to the current situation.

The main issue - that covid is not cancer diagnosis and/or another deadly illness if you are vaccinated, has not yet been broadly broadcasted by the authorities.
i mean I do agree that your response is probably one major underlying cause (that causes higher hospitalization rates than you would expect in Europe/USA)

and then the reaction is to lockdown further to protect that hospitalization number from growing worse. then cycle continues

I dont think the MTF is doubling down on the "covid is deadly even if vaccinated", otherwise they would remain at covid-zero - just that communication needs to be improved (and the pivot to treat it like flu/dengue isn't succesful)

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...ed-spore-under
Of the 5,134 travellers who have entered Singapore under the Vaccinated Travel Lane (VTL) scheme so far, only five have tested positive for Covid-19.
. wonder how far it'll take to hit the 3k limit/day VTL
Old Oct 26, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA
and then the reaction is to lockdown further to protect that hospitalization number from growing worse. then cycle continues
We're almost 2 years into this problem. How about building more hospitals and more hospital bed capacities? After this whole thing blows over, Singapore can continue to sell their superior medical tourism to the rich in neighbourhood countries with subpar healthcare. Win win win all around. Do I have to do all the thinking around here?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by a5un
We're almost 2 years into this problem. How about building more hospitals and more hospital bed capacities? After this whole thing blows over, Singapore can continue to sell their superior medical tourism to the rich in neighbourhood countries with subpar healthcare. Win win win all around. Do I have to do all the thinking around here?
given that every country has high demand for healthcare workers right now, those workers are burnt out, Philippines (major source of nurses) blocked nurses from leaving country until Nov 2020.... who's staffing the new facilities?

You Already have Medical/nursing school students graduating early and getting dumped straight into working

Increasing healthcare capacity is more of a medium/long term solution(like HDBs shortage).

now, you could increase bed:nurse ratio, leading to worse quality of care (happening a lot in usa/other countries). Many countries just make covid ER patients leave and recover at home until they get better or much worse, attempting to manage that hospitalization surge (which is more or less doable for healthy vaccinated individuals, especially if you monitor pulse ox with your free oximeter). Messaging needs to be clear

It's just an unfortunate situation
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:07 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Based on the number of reporting in travel-related forums-chats, the situation is following - VTL flights to Singapore are full, non-VTL flights are empty. I am going to check and confirm this in 2 weeks, my MUC-SIN is a non-VTL flight. In terms of passengers on VTL flights, the vast majority are citizens/pr/long-term pass holders - people who already are residents of Singapore.

As already has been mentioned, while you can build hospitals, you can't clone people who will work there. You need skilled workers and no - 2 weeks of training from My Careers Future won't help. Currently, staff is burnt out, overworked, and a number of (unpublished in local media) reports are that they are quitting in masses because of overwork. Elective surgeries are still not allowed.

As far as 'excellent care' - here is a status report by a local guy who lives in the States and came back because both of his parents ended up getting covid and then being in hospital first and then in Connect@Changi.

If anyone has older folks being sent to that Connect@Changi quarantine jail, take note that:
- deliveries only from 1-3pm, 7-9pm
- they won't pick up phone after 10pm despite being a 24/7 facility
- they won't update you the status of the patient
- patient has to wash own clothes and boil their own water, good luck if they're weak and need help
- no clothes provided, you wear what you have all the way
- no bottled water provided, only 3 meals and whatever drink that came with it, nothing else
- good luck if your folks can't see well
- no one checks if the patient is even eating
- good luck if patient doesn't communicate much
- the facility is at an extreme end of SG, relatives staying all the way in the west would have a hard time getting there (even more so to meet the short 2+2h window)
- there was supposedly no communication on timelines/whats going on to the patient (or patient did not understand, but in such a case NOK was also not informed)
If your elderly usually needs help doing things, good luck and may the odds be in their favor.
If anyone knows who else to badger on this deplorable state of elderly care in this facility, please let us know.

Here is the post https://ww w.facebook.com/jamesyong/posts/10159123056166329 - notice that there is a space in the URL that needs to be removed - Facebook links are broken/hidden by the forum engine.

Last edited by invisible; Oct 26, 2021 at 6:27 pm
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska
i mean I do agree that your response is probably one major underlying cause (that causes higher hospitalization rates than you would expect in Europe/USA)

I dont think the MTF is doubling down on the "covid is deadly even if vaccinated", otherwise they would remain at covid-zero - just that communication needs to be improved (and the pivot to treat it like flu/dengue isn't succesful)

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...ed-spore-under

The ICU is almost at capacity. the stress on healthcare is real.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska
where are the doctors and nurses required to staff the hospitals? Somehow the government has the magic to get the medical personnels out of nowhere
Old Oct 26, 2021, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by freed0m
where are the doctors and nurses required to staff the hospitals? Somehow the government has the magic to get the medical personnels out of nowhere
Import them from India, Philippines and other usual suspects. It's already been done for low skill labours up to IT professionals. The bureaucracy is already in place for this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.