Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

The road to COVID-19 reopen starts

The road to COVID-19 reopen starts

Old Dec 29, 21, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ View Post
I probably wouldn't detail out the flights just yet. Things can change pretty quickly (ala the next omicron). That said, the LAX/JFK VTL flights aren't too bad (Assuming you're willing to be in a plane that long without a break inbetween). Leaves a little earlier than the EVA flight but still not too bad (at least for me and the evening flights).
Im using Lifemiles, so the nonstop VTL flights arent a desirable option since SQ likely wont release J class award inventory to partners. The EVA Houston flight is ideal because of winter OPS and my positioning flight is much closer to IAH vs ORD/JFK.

Yeah im probably pulling the trigger too fast.
Old Dec 29, 21, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I have to wonder whether EVA has enough traffic to sustain their North American route network for another year or even another few months, if things continue the way they are with Taiwan closed as a transit point and Asia travel depressed. I don't know whether they do or don't -- just musing out loud.

I've taken too may trips to count on EVA to/from BKK over the past 20+ years, having been a huge fan of their schedules (e.g. middle of the night departures), but unfortunately I'm not counting on them as a reliable option in the future at this point due to Taiwan being closed for so long with no end in sight.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 29, 21, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Beetles View Post
Im using Lifemiles, so the nonstop VTL flights arent a desirable option since SQ likely wont release J class award inventory to partners. The EVA Houston flight is ideal because of winter OPS and my positioning flight is much closer to IAH vs ORD/JFK.

Yeah im probably pulling the trigger too fast.
That makes it a little worse for SQ. They're not known for releasing long haul reward J flights to their partners. If that's the case, one other thing to keep in mind. Just because a country might be declared a VTL eligible country, most of the flights are being operated by SQ... some of the other airlines have flights as well, but it's not a guarantee of ANA or EVA getting clearance as a VTL airline. If you go through Korea, you might be able to use Asiana.... they're supposed to be pretty good as well.
Old Dec 29, 21, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
So im starting my January 2023 planning and debating between booking ANA or EVA o SIN. Purely speculating but im leaning towards ANA under the assumption that Japan will open a VTL with Singapore before Taiwan. On the other hand I prefer the midnight departures from the US that EVA offers.

decisions..
That's what I like about Asian airlines like MU, CX, CI, and BR. Maybe we're in the minority, but I prefer flying tpac at night than during the day.

Originally Posted by tai4de2 View Post
I have to wonder whether EVA has enough traffic to sustain their North American route network for another year or even another few months, if things continue the way they are with Taiwan closed as a transit point and Asia travel depressed. I don't know whether they do or don't -- just musing out loud.

I've taken too may trips to count on EVA to/from BKK over the past 20+ years, having been a huge fan of their schedules (e.g. middle of the night departures), but unfortunately I'm not counting on them as a reliable option in the future at this point due to Taiwan being closed for so long with no end in sight.
Me too!
Old Dec 29, 21, 2:45 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
So im starting my January 2023 planning and debating between booking ANA or EVA o SIN. Purely speculating but im leaning towards ANA under the assumption that Japan will open a VTL with Singapore before Taiwan. On the other hand I prefer the midnight departures from the US that EVA offers.

decisions..
Do those arrive in the morning or late at night? Hated arriving in HKG around 10 PM and then paying for a hotel room which sometimes meant getting into your room well after midnight.
Old Dec 29, 21, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by exp View Post
Do those arrive in the morning or late at night? Hated arriving in HKG around 10 PM and then paying for a hotel room which sometimes meant getting into your room well after midnight.
The appeal of departing US west coast in the middle of the night was for me not the departure time, it was the arrival in Asia early AM. So for example for me it meant arriving TPE at 6am, and then BKK at noonish (vs. midnightish for the daytime departures from the USA).
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 29, 21, 4:16 pm

The midnight EVA departures arrive Singapore early to mid afternoon. I don’t hate the daytime US departures I just don’t like waking up before dawn to take my positioning flight. And its so much easier on the body arriving SE Asia in the afternoon, having a light dinner at the hotel, a quick stroll to work out the muscles, and then bed. I’m with you 100% arriving Asia late at night sucks.

The more I talk about this the more i’m talking myself into booking the EVA flight not knowing if its going to operate as a VTL. Award space from IAH is usually grabbed quickly.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by Beetles; Dec 29, 21 at 4:25 pm
Old Dec 29, 21, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
That's what I like about Asian airlines like MU, CX, CI, and BR. Maybe we're in the minority, but I prefer flying tpac at night than during the day.

Me too!
Even Delta has a midnight ATL-ICN flight pre-covid. Worked well for most everywhere except Singapore because the earliest ICN-SIN flight is around 2pm. But for the 9am BKK flight on Korean Air its ideal. Delta had to change it to a daytime flight to comply with South Korea requirements. Hopefully it gets moved back to midnight at some point.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 29, 21, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Late-night departure from the west coast of North America arrives early in the morning in HKG. I prefer that as it helps me get used to the new timezone. If you're connecting to other destinations such as BKK or SIN, you'll arrive in the afternoon. Again, I prefer this to a mid-day departure from North America, and then I arrive late afternoon or early evening. So much harder for me to get used to the new timezone since I would have slept for parts of the flight.
Old Dec 29, 21, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even Delta has a midnight ATL-ICN flight pre-covid. Worked well for most everywhere except Singapore because the earliest ICN-SIN flight is around 2pm. But for the 9am BKK flight on Korean Air its ideal. Delta had to change it to a daytime flight to comply with South Korea requirements. Hopefully it gets moved back to midnight at some point.
Which DL flight is that? SIN probably doesn't work since ICN is quite far from SE Asia. I guess that it'll arrive late in the evening Singapore time?

DL's tpac flights out of SEA are in mid-day, so not quite ideal for me. I wish there were late-night departures to PVG and TYO.
Old Dec 29, 21, 5:36 pm

Which DL flight is that? SIN probably doesn't work since ICN is quite far from SE Asia. I guess that it'll arrive late in the evening Singapore time?

DL's tpac flights out of SEA are in mid-day, so not quite ideal for me. I wish there were late-night departures to PVG and TYO.
Atlanta to Seoul. Pre-covid it departed at midnight. It matched up perfectly to the Korean Air flight leaving Seoul at 9am to BKK. But the earliest KE flight to Singapore is around 2pm so the layover on that one isn’t so great.
Old Dec 29, 21, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Atlanta to Seoul. Pre-covid it departed at midnight. It matched up perfectly to the Korean Air flight leaving Seoul at 9am to BKK. But the earliest KE flight to Singapore is around 2pm so the layover on that one isnt so great.
I meant the DL flight number. Yea, I get that it was pre-COVID. I want to keep this in mind for the future should everything comes back to normal. So after arriving at ICN, you can quickly hop on the new KE flight to BKK? Which KE flight number is that?

Pre-COVID, I flew MU a lot, whether I had to go to PVG or just connect to HKG, KUL, BKK, or SIN. The timing was great. The only problem is that I have DL status, which doesn't get me as much on MU.
Old Dec 29, 21, 6:37 pm

I meant the DL flight number. Yea, I get that it was pre-COVID. I want to keep this in mind for the future should everything comes back to normal. So after arriving at ICN, you can quickly hop on the new KE flight to BKK? Which KE flight number is that?

Pre-COVID, I flew MU a lot, whether I had to go to PVG or just connect to HKG, KUL, BKK, or SIN. The timing was great. The only problem is that I have DL status, which doesn't get me as much on MU.

DL27. Not sure about the KE flight number.
Old Dec 29, 21, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL27. Not sure about the KE flight number.
This flight is now scheduled for departure at 10:10 AM local time.
Old Dec 29, 21, 6:42 pm

PVG has to be my least favourite airport to transit through to get to ASEAN... I don't know why they don't rebuild it or open up another one (Beijing is on what... their third one now?). Give me HKG, TPE or NRT (Haven't been through HND so can't advise) any time.

Not sure how the airports stack up now or will stack up post-covid, but can't be that bad to transit through.

Search this Thread