Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book the Cook 2005 - 2019

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: enrich
Originally Posted by hclee01
For flights leaving from SIN (except to KUL), you should be able to Book The Cook. I have done it for my flight leaving at 115hr from SIN-PVG a couple of times. You can manage your booking online to book the cook. The meals should be there for your selection.

Enjoy your flight!
Thanks! I've seen some threads saying that their book the cook is limited to only breakfast items as the main meal is breakfast. But obviously is better to get a full meal service that's not breakfast.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:24 am

May I know if Kyo-Kaiseki meal is served differently on different meal periods (breakfast/brunch/lunch/dinner/supper)?

I am deciding whether to have it on SQ2 (dinner) or SQ860 (breakfast/brunch?)
Old Aug 28, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I was really disappointed with the meal service on my SQ flights. The lobster was horrible, basically chopped bits of lobster in a goopy high fat creamy sauce dominated by mushrooms. Perhaps I should have further inquired as I was expecting steamed lobster with butter, which would be a better choice for many of us.

Next time I will definitely be ordering the steak (filet mignon quality, though unfortunately not labeled as such) or lamb chops or cutlets which also looked perfectly cooked. The chicken (from the regular menu) was also quite good, though again it was covered with a goopy sauce that easily could have been served on the side, and the quantity was inadequate.

Also very disappointed with the between meal snack options which were basically limited to candy bars, bags of popcorn and crisps aka potato chips. How difficult would be it to add chewy snack bars or even the snack boxes that are sold in domestic economy? Pathetic for a 15-hour mid-day flight where many don't snooze out after lunch.
cce5858 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:27 pm

Dinner would probably be better as u get the whole course.

Originally Posted by nivla83
May I know if Kyo-Kaiseki meal is served differently on different meal periods (breakfast/brunch/lunch/dinner/supper)?

I am deciding whether to have it on SQ2 (dinner) or SQ860 (breakfast/brunch?)
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I was really disappointed with the meal service on my SQ flights. The lobster was horrible, basically chopped bits of lobster in a goopy high fat creamy sauce dominated by mushrooms. Perhaps I should have further inquired as I was expecting steamed lobster with butter, which would be a better choice for many of us.

Next time I will definitely be ordering the steak (filet mignon quality, though unfortunately not labeled as such) or lamb chops or cutlets which also looked perfectly cooked. The chicken (from the regular menu) was also quite good, though again it was covered with a goopy sauce that easily could have been served on the side, and the quantity was inadequate.

Also very disappointed with the between meal snack options which were basically limited to candy bars, bags of popcorn and crisps aka potato chips. How difficult would be it to add chewy snack bars or even the snack boxes that are sold in domestic economy? Pathetic for a 15-hour mid-day flight where many don't snooze out after lunch.
Yes I am disappointed in the lobster in F. Ordered a beef steak (forgotten which part), and swore never to order it in the future. What I find is that fish is the most consistent!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I've found the curries to be solid options, especially ex-SIN. I think they just reheat better than other dishes. I had the beef rendang last year and it was pretty good.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:28 am

Ahh I was kinda looking forward to ordering the lobster thermidor on my next flight, but after reading all these negative reviews I think I'll stick to the steak or lamb chop instead.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by jbeans
Ahh I was kinda looking forward to ordering the lobster thermidor on my next flight, but after reading all these negative reviews I think I'll stick to the steak or lamb chop instead.
My steak was overcooked last time to AMS. Be sure to inform FA to not do that.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 11:47 am

San framx

Originally Posted by shuigao
Possible = Yes
Guaranteed = No
Old Sep 1, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: KF Silver (bye long-haul Y, not missed!)
My wife and I will be traveling to Sydney for our babymoon. For those curious and concerned, this will take place in the middle of her second trimester. Given the occasion and circumstances, we are taking day flights in F there and back. This will also be our first time flying SQ in First Class (outbound) and Suites (inbound).

Erring on the side of caution, my wife's BTC options will be avoiding raw food (no Kyo-Kaiseki) or alcohol, even in trace amounts (no lobster thermidor, veal mignon or wagyu sirloin).

Our selection:
SIN-SYD (wife) .... Pappardelle with Seafood (Lobster, scallop and salmon in a mushroom, sun-dried tomatoes and seafood broth, with al dente pappardelle pasta)
SIN-SYD (me) ... Kyo-Kaiseki
SYD-SIN (wife) ... Cantonese roast duck with vegetables and steamed rice
SYD-SIN (me) ... Boston lobster thermidor

My question:
I have enjoyed the lobster thermidor on J ex-SIN, so trying the dish - albeit upgraded in F - again is not something I am fettered to. If any FTers have comments on the other ex-SYD dishes, I would appreciate your feedback/advice:
  • Veal mignon in Yarra red wine sauce with vegetables and prawn-potato mousseline
  • Roast rack of lamb with natural jus, roasted vegetables, and creamy garlic mash
  • Grilled beef in green peppercorn sauce with seasonal vegetables and gratin potatoes

Thanks much.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I've booked SQ 265, SIN-BNE for next Feb., and was surprised at the relatively few BTC options compared to prior flights on this route. Perhaps it's the early morning departure time?

I'm trying to decide between the "Dim sum" and the "Angus Burger" meals. Birds are off my diet, otherwise I'd go for the Nasi Lemak.

I know there are no birds in the burger, but I wonder about the Dim sum? Any reports on either BTC option ex-SIN would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by transportprof
I've booked SQ 265, SIN-BNE for next Feb., and was surprised at the relatively few BTC options compared to prior flights on this route. Perhaps it's the early morning departure time?

I'm trying to decide between the "Dim sum" and the "Angus Burger" meals. Birds are off my diet, otherwise I'd go for the Nasi Lemak.

I know there are no birds in the burger, but I wonder about the Dim sum? Any reports on either BTC option ex-SIN would be much appreciated.
@transportprof

You didn't specify cabin/class.

I flew business on all of my SQ flights.

I looked the current BTC offerings ex-SIN

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/a......-singapore/

I see they still have the Seared Nut-Crusted Veal Fillet, which I had on one flight and was excellent.

See post 481 for photos

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...thread-33.html

On another fight ex-SIN, I chose this item from the "Deliciously Wholesome" menu

Baked Herb Marinated Salmon with Potato, Boiled Eggs, Beets and Arugula Salad in Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette

It was outstanding.

I posted photos See posts 586, 587, 588

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...thread-40.html
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
@transportprof

You didn't specify cabin/class.

I flew business on all of my SQ flights.

I looked the current BTC offerings ex-SIN

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/a......-singapore/

I see they still have the Seared Nut-Crusted Veal Fillet, which I had on one flight and was excellent.

See post 481 for photos

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...thread-33.html

On another fight ex-SIN, I chose this item from the "Deliciously Wholesome" menu

Baked Herb Marinated Salmon with Potato, Boiled Eggs, Beets and Arugula Salad in Dijon Mustard Vinaigrette

It was outstanding.

I posted photos See posts 586, 587, 588

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...thread-40.html
Your meals all sound great, but in J (the only front cabin service offered SIN-BNE) and on my particular flight, the drop down menu offers about a half-dozen choices, most of which contain birds or lots of eggs, both of which don't agree with me.

None of the delicious dishes you've sampled are on offer for SQ265, so it's down to the burger versus Dim sum for me.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Am I correct in understanding that it is not possible to pre-select from the available in-light meals if BTC is not available?

Specifically, we're in business class KIX-SIN-KIX, and while I can order BTC for SIN-KIX, for KIX-SIN I only see "inflight meal" and the various special meals. I was wondering if on SQ is is possible to pre-select from among the 3 or so options that will be offered inflight (such as it is on EVA).
Old Sep 10, 2017, 7:13 am

Yes, you are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.