Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book the Cook 2005 - 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2006, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by CGK
Not sure about mushroom and chirozo risotto.. Not found of those "o" ending...
Chose that cause I love rissoto - hope it would taste as nice on the plane as on the ground though.
Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
I have to give SQ ^ ^ I changed routing 12 hours before the flight but still called to BTC and they managed to cater it!
Old Feb 23, 2006, 8:31 pm

Location: Washington DC; UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
Anyone tried the Sea Bass Book the Cook ex-Sin?
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by QF009
Flying MEL-SIN-HKG vv in J in APR - for the first time. Is it worth BTCing at all, or shall I just enjoy the food onboard? And also, if i do BTC, can I have the onboard meal instead if the latter looks better? (eg one of those Gordon Ramsay specials...:P)

And no I don't like lobsters...
Cool, I'm doing Mel-Sin in April too, Easter break? BTC lamb chops ex-Sin are very good, the mashed potatoes alone are better than most I've had on the ground. The last time I did Mel-Sin in J, lamb chops were also on the regular menu, so you might want to consider BTC'ing something else, then falling back on the lamb. Will be doing Sin-Mel tomorrow in F, would you like me to double-check the J menu?

Anyone tried the Sea Bass Book the Cook ex-Sin?
Had the Sea Bass a couple of days ago, was on the regular menu, but can't remember if it was ex-Sin or ex-NRT. Not too bad, fish was fresh, flaky enough. Didn't really like the vegetables, block of rice rather scary.
Old Feb 26, 2006, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by uhoo
Cool, I'm doing Mel-Sin in April too, Easter break? BTC lamb chops ex-Sin are very good, the mashed potatoes alone are better than most I've had on the ground. The last time I did Mel-Sin in J, lamb chops were also on the regular menu, so you might want to consider BTC'ing something else, then falling back on the lamb. Will be doing Sin-Mel tomorrow in F, would you like me to double-check the J menu?
Yeap I have a one week break from uni. Probably too late a reply but yeah it would be awesome if you could tell me whats in the J menu. Otherwise no worries.
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:02 pm

Has anyone had BTC's nasi briyani out of Sin? I am wondering what meat they are using in that meal -- chicken, beef or mutton/lamb?
Old Mar 15, 2006, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by westnorton
Has anyone had BTC's nasi briyani out of Sin? I am wondering what meat they are using in that meal -- chicken, beef or mutton/lamb?
My SO has. It was lamb back in Oct 05
Old Mar 16, 2006, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by 9V-JKL
My SO has. It was lamb back in Oct 05
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Though lamb is actually the best meat for briyani, I try to steer away from that meat (I found its smell too overpowering) and prefer either beef or chicken. Oh well.....I guess I have to try something else.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 7:53 pm

I'm scheduled to fly SQ 11 in F next month. I've already ordered the LT for lunch and have yet to pre-order my light meal. BTC offerings on this flight are as follows:

Atlantic salmon fillet with shrimp and garlic sauce, and ratatouille (am leaning towards this)

Grilled veal chops with natural jus with seasonal vegetables and potato gnocchi (had this before - excellent)

Lemon-herb grilled chicken on sourdough roll with salad

Lobster Thermidor with buttered asparagus, slow-roasted vine-ripened tomato, and saffron rice (already having it for lunch)

Pan-seared pheasant with stuffed blini and vegetables

Five-spiced Chilean bass with assorted vegetables and fried rice

Beef Sukiyaki with steamed rice (already on the menu as a Japanese option)

Crabmeat Ee-Fu noodle soup with Chinese greens

Ginger beef and fried rice

Kow Pao chicken and steamed rice

Nigiri Sushi (comments about sushi haven't been all that great)

Spaghetti and Dim Sum are menu options for the second light meal.

Any suggestions based on past experience?
Old Mar 16, 2006, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by FTraveler
I'm scheduled to fly SQ 11 in F next month. I've already ordered the LT for lunch and have yet to pre-order my light meal.

I'm also flying SQ 11 in F next month and had ordered LT and crabmeat Ee-fu noodle soup for light meal, figuring that I will be light and leave some room in my stomach for the Fauchon ice-cream at Narita.

I am wondering whether anyone had tried LT as both lunch and light meal on the same flight.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 8:45 pm

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Though lamb is actually the best meat for briyani, I try to steer away from that meat (I found its smell too overpowering) and prefer either beef or chicken. Oh well.....I guess I have to try something else.
I had a mouthful; OK 2 of it and found that it did not smell too much; I like lamb so perhaps that may have clouded my view. BUT my SO; like you; doesn't like lamb either for the same reason but found it OK. In this case, I think the frangrance for the briyani was 'stronger'.
Old Mar 16, 2006, 8:52 pm

I'm scheduled to fly SQ 11 in F next month. I've already ordered the LT for lunch and have yet to pre-order my light meal. BTC offerings on this flight are as follows:

CGK is our expert on this route so he'll be best to answer you or you can read carfield's SQ11 F trip report on his thoughts on the Lobster and Sukiyaki
Old Mar 16, 2006, 11:11 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM

Atlantic salmon fillet with shrimp and garlic sauce, and ratatouille (am leaning towards this)

Grilled veal chops with natural jus with seasonal vegetables and potato gnocchi (had this before - excellent)

Lemon-herb grilled chicken on sourdough roll with salad

Lobster Thermidor with buttered asparagus, slow-roasted vine-ripened tomato, and saffron rice (already having it for lunch)

Pan-seared pheasant with stuffed blini and vegetables

Five-spiced Chilean bass with assorted vegetables and fried rice

Beef Sukiyaki with steamed rice (already on the menu as a Japanese option)

Crabmeat Ee-Fu noodle soup with Chinese greens

Ginger beef and fried rice

Kow Pao chicken and steamed rice

Nigiri Sushi (comments about sushi haven't been all that great)

Spaghetti and Dim Sum are menu options for the second light meal.

I am not a big eater. So, for the light meal usually I have something light, like the crabmeat noodle soup.
Regarding beef sukiyaki, it's not in the menu for Japanese meals, which is the Kyo-kaiseki. The portion of beef sukiyaki is not that big. So perhaps can be okay for a light meal.
Again, age and the appetite are really the determining factors in deciding whether to have a big and heavy light meal or just noodle soup.
If you are not so sure, order something big, like the salmon you are interested in. When on board, you will know then whether you want that salmon, or something light. You can tell the FA then that you choose kyo-kaiseki, or what's in the menu, or else get the hanagoyomi (Japanese meal for J-class).

I'm also flying SQ 11 in F next month and had ordered LT and crabmeat Ee-fu noodle soup for light meal, figuring that I will be light and leave some room in my stomach for the Fauchon ice-cream at Narita.

I am wondering whether anyone had tried LT as both lunch and light meal on the same flight.
I think to have LT for lunch and light meal is a bit too much. Certainly, I am not too hungry when the light meal is seved around 3pm Tokyo time. So, in fact, I almost always have the noodle soup for light meal option. Once get off at NRT, I can enjoy the Fauchon ice cream. And it will be a big dinner flying to Singapore.

Hope you all have great flight on SQ11.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Has anyone ever tried the Ginger Beef and Fried Rice out of LAX?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 8:52 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by dsimon
Has anyone ever tried the Ginger Beef and Fried Rice out of LAX?
Not an expert in meat, but the sliced beef were a bit chewy for me. I prefer the soft tender beef sukiyaki.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.