Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book the Cook 2005 - 2019

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2006, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CGK
Not an expert in meat, but the sliced beef were a bit chewy for me. I prefer the soft tender beef sukiyaki.
Thanks for the very quick response.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by uhoo
Cool, I'm doing Mel-Sin in April too, Easter break? BTC lamb chops ex-Sin are very good, the mashed potatoes alone are better than most I've had on the ground. The last time I did Mel-Sin in J, lamb chops were also on the regular menu, so you might want to consider BTC'ing something else, then falling back on the lamb. Will be doing Sin-Mel tomorrow in F, would you like me to double-check the J menu?

Had the Sea Bass a couple of days ago, was on the regular menu, but can't remember if it was ex-Sin or ex-NRT. Not too bad, fish was fresh, flaky enough. Didn't really like the vegetables, block of rice rather scary.
The BTC Sea Bass is different from the menu item described, with kalamata olive mashed potato instead of rice. It is my favorite item on the ex-SIN menu: the fish is tender and flaky and the flavors (accented by bouillabaisse sauce and capsicum confit) mix well. Highly recommended. ^
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Starwood,
How far ahead does one typically BTC?

And let me add, how often is the menu updated?

Last edited by davethewave; Apr 11, 2006 at 6:46 pm
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:39 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, DL Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by davethewave
Anytime up to 24 hours before your flight.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 1P
For the short flight F-class (SIN-CGK) SQ160 15.30-16.05, do they serve a meal? And can I order BTC?

Also, if not shellfish due to allergy (lobster included), any other dish you recommend?

Last edited by pekko; Apr 15, 2006 at 12:44 am
Old Apr 15, 2006, 8:09 am
CGK

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by pekko
For the short flight F-class (SIN-CGK) SQ160 15.30-16.05, do they serve a meal? And can I order BTC?

Also, if not shellfish due to allergy (lobster included), any other dish you recommend?
Yes, for a short flight SIN-CGK, meals are served according to the time of flying. You will get light meal. But really, it is a big meal. Something that disappeared last time I took the flights SIN-CGK-SIN, is the appetiser.

The BTC options basically are whatever in the information ex-SIN. I like the rack of lamb (includes mesclun salad), or local dishes like nasi biryani, laksa, or nasi lemak. Not so fond of the chicken rice now. If you want, you can have the Japanese meals kyo-kaiseki as well.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 8:13 am
CGK

Sq 160 Sin-cgk Btc

Cater For Light Meal : Sin-cgk
1. Bckcr - Chicken Curry
2. Bckrm - Chicken Rice
3. Bclbz - Chilean Bass And Zucchini Pasta
4. Bcrfb - Curry Fish Balls
5. Bdwyr - Duck With Yam Rice
6. Beres - Eight Oz Rib Eye Steak
7. Bfbkt - Fishball Kway Teow
8. Bfprm - Fish Porridge
9. Bfrcb - Free Range Chicken Breast
10. Bfsck - Fish Souffle And Spicy Minced Chicken
11. Bkyks - Kyo Kaiseki
12. Blksa - Laksa
13. Blstm - Lobster Thermidor
14. Bnsby - Nasi Biryani
15. Bnslm - Nasi Lemak
16. Bppsf - Pappardelle With Seafood
17. Brrlm - Roast Rack Of Lamb With Mint Jus
18. Brvgt - Roasted Vegetables
19. Bssms - Seared Salmon
20. Bvlvc - Veal Loin N Veal Cheek
21. Bypmf - Yu Pian Mi Fen
Old Apr 15, 2006, 8:14 am
CGK

... nasi biryani, laksa, or nasi lemak (Ooops, I think this one has shrimp, so it's a no go for you).
Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by davethewave

And let me add, how often is the menu updated?
Don't know the answer to the second question, but for the first, I usually BTC about 2 weeks in advance. No particular reason, but 2 weeks seems like a good amount of time. Not too early so as not to seem too eager (it seems a little silly to BTC now for a flight on Jan. 2, 2007), and not too late either. Generally, it's just a reminder to me that my flight is coming up and it's time to get excited for my trip.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 3:11 pm

BTC out of Taipei

Has anyone had BTC out of TPE? What would be the recommended dish? Many thanks.

Available Raffles Class Menu:
Beef tournedos in red wine sauce topped with crabmeat ragout with broccoli, pumpkin, carrots, and herbal mashed potatoes

Cod fillet on saffron orange sauce with asparagus and tomato couscous

Crispy fried chicken breast with creamy mushroom sauce, broccoli, pumpkin, and parsley potatoes

Seafood lasagne in tomato sauce

Braised beef with turnip in soya sauce served with kailan, shiitake, carrot, and steamed rice

Chirashi Sushi

Steamed cod fillet flavoured with sun-dried cabbage served with Ee-Fu noodles, pumpkin, and carrot

Stir-fried rice vermicelli with shredded pork, clam meat, and pumpkin
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by westnorton
Has anyone had BTC out of TPE? What would be the recommended dish? Many thanks.
I had the Chirashi Sushi about a year ago TPE-SIN on SQ 29, and it was quite good, actually. The fish was pretty good quality--not what you can get at the best places in Japan, but equivalent to what you'll get at most conveyor-belt places in Japan and most everywhere in the US--and if you like sushi rice, it's in copious supply under the fish. Really tasty and a nice light meal after having had breakfast a couple of hours earlier pre-touchdown. I wouldn't want it outbound on SQ 30 TPE-LAX.

I think I've had the beef tournedos too, though it would have been on SQ 30 in January 2004. Unremarkable-- tasted like every other beef item in Business Class on a respectable airline. Good enough but nothing to salivate over.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:34 pm

Location: Washington DC; UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I had the Chirashi Sushi about a year ago TPE-SIN on SQ 29, and it was quite good, actually. The fish was pretty good quality--not what you can get at the best places in Japan, but equivalent to what you'll get at most conveyor-belt places in Japan and most everywhere in the US--and if you like sushi rice, it's in copious supply under the fish. Really tasty and a nice light meal after having had breakfast a couple of hours earlier pre-touchdown. I wouldn't want it outbound on SQ 30 TPE-LAX.

I think I've had the beef tournedos too, though it would have been on SQ 30 in January 2004. Unremarkable-- tasted like every other beef item in Business Class on a respectable airline. Good enough but nothing to salivate over.
I also had the Chirashi Sushi out of TPE on the TPE-LAX flight a few weeks ago. It was a light meal, though it was perfect as a "supper" option as I had just eaten a full meal on the SIN-TPE flight. I agree with your assessment about the fish quality and there was lots of good sushi rice, though I was surpised to see the noodles mixed in on top of the rice.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 4:36 pm

Location: Washington DC; UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by martina
The BTC Sea Bass is different from the menu item described, with kalamata olive mashed potato instead of rice. It is my favorite item on the ex-SIN menu: the fish is tender and flaky and the flavors (accented by bouillabaisse sauce and capsicum confit) mix well. Highly recommended. ^
I had the same experience with the BTC Sea Bass. It was served with potato instead of rice. The fish was excellent, though I chose to scrape off the heavy sauce before eating it.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by MegatopLover

Thanks for the heads-up on beef tournedos. I have that booked for TPE-LAX and will scratch that out and look for something else. The BTC menu out of TPE looks unremarkable.

For the chirashi sushi, what do they put on top of the rice, besides fish?

Thanks.

Last edited by westnorton; Apr 18, 2006 at 11:23 pm
Old Apr 19, 2006, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by westnorton
For the chirashi sushi, what do they put on top of the rice, besides fish?
IIRC, a light vegetable or two, artfully carved in the Japanese way. I'm thinking a radish and a green or two. Not many veggies, mostly slabs of fish and a slice or two of egg omelette.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.