FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Book the Cook 2005 - 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/493018-book-cook-2005-2019-a.html)

dsimon Nov 13, 2005 11:39 am

Book the Cook 2005 - 2019

Rather than start a new thread (and, this thread receives plenty of exposure), I thought this would be an appropriate place to ask for reviews on specific Book The Cook items.

Out of NRT recently, has anyone tried either:
  • Asian style chicken noodle soup
    or
  • Beef Sukiyaki with steamed rice

Thanks in advance for any comments or reviews.

Also, this may not necessarily be a good idea and I don't know if anyone has contemplated it, but has there been any consideration given to a thread (a la the F, C, Y menu threads) for Book The Cook reviews? Something along the lines of:
  • Station
  • Date
  • Dish
  • Scale (1 to 10)
  • Brief review

I don't know whether or not it would be helpful, but it might be a good location to keep station, date, and choice-specific reviews.

Just an idle thought.

peter11 Nov 14, 2005 8:50 am

I dont know if this is the best place for this as the info will be lost in this lounge thread forever. A new thread makes it much more searchable in the future. That said, I had the Sukiyaki from NRT and thought it was quite good. Very good beef and wonderful flavor. Serving is small, but with all the other courses, it was way more than enough. I would order it again.

dsimon Nov 14, 2005 9:43 am

Originally Posted by peter11
I dont know if this is the best place for this as the info will be lost in this lounge thread forever. A new thread makes it much more searchable in the future.

Sorry that I was not more clear, but what I actually meant was to start a brand new thread that deals only with Book The Cook issues, questions, reviews.

I was just trying to gauge whether there would be interest in such as thread similar to the F, C, & Y menu threads.

And, thank you for your comments on the Beef Sukiyaki. I am not overly concerned about the amount seeing as I will have already been fed on the SIN-NRT segment, will have all of the appetizers on the NRT-LAX segment, in addition to food in the NRT lounge if I am hungry at that point. The one thing that I am not worried about is going hungry.

CGK Nov 14, 2005 11:00 am

I think it's a good idea to have seperate thread for BTC. I will post whatever I have in my previous flights that I have taken.

dsimon Nov 14, 2005 11:11 am

Originally Posted by CGK
I think it's a good idea to have seperate thread for BTC. I will post whatever I have in my previous flights that I have taken.

Thanks for turning this into a thread - I think that it will be helpful.

If the moderator wants to edit my post or set up a format similar to that in my original post, it might help things remain consistent and reader-friendly to follow.

Thanks again.

CGK Nov 14, 2005 2:30 pm

SQ 12 NRT-LAX Sep

CATER FOR DINNER : NRT-LAX
1. BBSKY - BEEF SUKIYAKI
2. BCKND - CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP
3. BFCKK - FRIED CHICKEN KARAAGE
4. BLSTR - LOBSTER THERMIDOR AND PILAFF RICE
5. BNGRS - NIGIRI SUSHI
6. BPFSB - PAN FRIED SEABASS WRAPPED WITH POTATO
7. BRBMB - ROAST BEEF AND MUSTARD BAGUETTES
8. BRGHM - ROASTED GAME HEN
9. BRLYH - RACK OF LAMB WITH YOGHURT SAUCE
10. BSMFY - SIMMERED FISH WITH GRATED YAM SAUCE
11. BSSBM - SEARED SEABREAM
12. BVLFT - VEAL LOIN WITH FETTUCCINE

CATER FOR BREAKFAST : NRT-LAX
NO ITEMS OFFERED

Comment: Beef sukiyaki was great. I took the pic but have to locate it to post. Not too much. The beef was pretty tender. And yes the whole meal was tasty.

Ex-NRT, I have tried rack of lamb. I like it, but I am not fond of the yoghurt sauce. Prefer add my own chilli sauce. :D Have tried lobster as well, but don't know exactly what good lobster thermidor is. Thus can not comment on that.

Chicken noodle soup is certainly just a noodle soup. So it's not really a good option for dinner, unless you are not hungry at all. But certainly after lunch from SIN-NRT, I do want something more than just noodle soup for the dinner. I like the noodle sooup for the meals before landing at LAX.

Two BTCs that I have tried and not to my taste, are #6 and #10. A bit strange for me.

dsimon Nov 14, 2005 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by CGK
Comment: Beef sukiyaki was great. I took the pic but have to locate it to post. Not too much. The beef was pretty tender. And yes the whole meal was tasty.

Thank you very much for your comments, and if you do find the picture, please do post it.

yvrguy Nov 14, 2005 9:34 pm

I have had the Roasted Game Hen ex Nrt and didn't really enjoy it. The balsamic sauce it was served with was quite strong for me. The portion was rather petite as well. I recently had the lobster thermidore out of SIN, again, and it was excellent as always!!

CGK Nov 14, 2005 10:09 pm

SQ 12 NRT-LAX Sep

Here is the link to my pics of SQ 12 NRT-LAX Sep 2005 . I realized that I have not posted any of my photos after my last SIN DO-lite end of Aug. I remembered Paffendorf and others commented on too many "food" photos in my previous DO-lite pics. :p :D
Here you go, dsimon, you have the pic of beef sukiyaki. Different presentation than the one I had previously.

FTraveler Nov 14, 2005 10:58 pm

SQ 11 LAX-NRT Sep '05 - Lunch - BTC Lobster Thermidor - large, firm, moist, delicious. Same flight, Light Meal - BTC Veal Chop - moist and soft - excellent.

CGK Nov 15, 2005 12:23 am

Originally Posted by FTraveler
SQ 11 LAX-NRT Sep '05 - Lunch - BTC Lobster Thermidor - large, firm, moist, delicious. Same flight, Light Meal - BTC Veal Chop - moist and soft - excellent.

True, the veal chop is great. I did BTC Veal Chop for lunch, and crabmeat noodle soup for light meal last August for LAX-SIN. And NRT-SIN, I did not order BTC, and the baked boisin marinated chicken in hoba leaf was a bit strange for me. Here are the pics for SQ 11 LAX-NRT-SIN Aug 2005 .

FTraveler Nov 15, 2005 12:56 am

Originally Posted by CGK
True, the veal chop is great. I did BTC Veal Chop for lunch...

IIRC, the picture you took was probably the reason I selected the veal. :D

dsimon Nov 15, 2005 6:51 am

Originally Posted by CGK
Here you go, dsimon, you have the pic of beef sukiyaki.

CGK, thank you for posting the picture(s).

CGK Nov 15, 2005 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by dsimon
CGK, thank you for posting the picture(s).

You are very welcome. My pleasure to be able to help. :)

CGK Nov 15, 2005 3:59 pm

Sq 318 Sin - Lhr Btc

SQ 0318 P SIN-LHR

---------------------------------------------------------------
CATEGORY : BOOK THE COOK -COMMENTS

CATER FOR BREAKFAST : SIN-LHR
1. BFBKT - FISHBALL KWAY TEOW
2. BFPRM - FISH PORRIDGE
3. BNSBY - NASI BIRYANI
4. BNSLM - NASI LEMAK
5. BYPMF - YU PIAN MI FEN

CATER FOR LUNCH : SIN-LHR
6. BCKCR - CHICKEN CURRY
7. BCKRM - CHICKEN RICE
8. BCLBZ - CHILEAN BASS AND ZUCCHINI PASTA
9. BCRFB - CURRY FISH BALLS
10. BDWYR - DUCK WITH YAM RICE
11. BERES - EIGHT OZ RIB EYE STEAK
12. BFBKT - FISHBALL KWAY TEOW
13. BFPRM - FISH PORRIDGE
14. BFRCB - FREE RANGE CHICKEN BREAST
15. BFSCK - FISH SOUFFLE AND SPICY MINCED CHICKEN
16. BKYKS - KYO KAISEKI
17. BLKSA - LAKSA
18. BLSTM - LOBSTER THERMIDOR
19. BNSBY - NASI BIRYANI
20. BNSLM - NASI LEMAK
21. BPPSF - PAPPARDELLE WITH SEAFOOD
22. BRRLM - ROAST RACK OF LAMB WITH MINT JUS
23. BRVGT - ROASTED VEGETABLES
24. BSSMS - SEARED SALMON
25. BVLVC - VEAL LOIN N VEAL CHEEK
26. BYPMF - YU PIAN MI FEN

Note: SQFAN, is this the flight you will be on?