Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Experience with SQ Covid-19-related cancellations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with SQ Covid-19-related cancellations?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
All SQ LHR-SIN for the next few days seem to be zeroed out in all cabin at the moment. I wonder if they are planning to cancel some of them...
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
All SQ LHR-SIN for the next few days seem to be zeroed out in all cabin at the moment. I wonder if they are planning to cancel some of them...
LHR to Asia is in very high demand at the moment.
All CX ex LHR flights were almost full in this coming week.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jjjohn
LHR to Asia is in very high demand at the moment.
All CX ex LHR flights were almost full in this coming week.
I doubt it's just about the demand. Plenty of availability last night, and suddenly overnight it's completely zero'ed out for a few days on all SQ flights ex-LHR in every cabin. Yet, I seem to be the only one with a seat assigned in Suite on one of the zero'ed out SQ flights.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Does anyone have any experience with how SQ handled Covid-19-related cancellations (not voluntary cancellation by a passenger, but SQ cancelling the flight) that you can tell me about, e.g. how SQ handled it?

I have a SIN-SYD in A380 new suite (revenue), and while it has not been cancelled yet, I am wanting to know how SQ been handling COVID-19-related cancellations where EC261 does not apply.

Any info would be appreciated, such as how wide a choice you've been given with choosing an alternative flight (I'd really rather fly in the new suite, for distancing reasons), what sort of options were offered, and if you need to wait for a suitable alternative flight, what have SQ been doing with accommodation arrangements.

I am thinking that with Australian government putting everywhere in the world on "Reconsider the travel", I am expecting the demand to have dropped off quite a bit for SYD-SIN (thus affecting SIN-SYD-SIN) and so I'm wondering about the potential upcoming cancellations, and would prefer to have some info at hand in advance.

I've never had any SQ flight cancelled before, so I have no prior experience to fall back on. If it makes any difference, I'm a PPS.
Booked a MNL trip 4 weeks ago, airline canceled my flight 3 weeks ago & auto re booked to earlier / later flights on both days of travel
Called in to SQ, said that the flights will not work for me, and I asked for & was given a full refund.
It was simple as that - except it was an OTA booking so now I'm just waiting for the OTA to issue the refund - I did have to play go between the OTA & SQ so that both would agree to a full refund with no penalties.

You'll be well taken care of as PPS & revenue booking - though the hold times might be significantly longer now

Also, it won't be easy searching for an alternative flight with the new A380 Suites (still on SYDSIN or a re-route?) - but all the best!

p/s I did end up taking the trip to MNL but I booked using KF miles during last month's Spontaneous Escape
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:24 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Sounds like some flights will be cancelled. Last night all SIN-MEL inventory was zeroed out following the announcement from New Zealand. Subsequently SQ 247 (SIN-MEL-WLG) was cancelled and other flights inventory re-opened.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Sounds like some flights will be cancelled. Last night all SIN-MEL inventory was zeroed out following the announcement from New Zealand. Subsequently SQ 247 (SIN-MEL-WLG) was cancelled and other flights inventory re-opened.
Thanks. It sounds like it might be a pre-consolidation zeroing out then.

I have LHR-SIN, and SIN-SYD. (Nothing zeroed out so far on SIN-SYD yet, despite the announcement by Australia, but I expect it will happen soon).
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:29 am

Hope that they can still maintain some flights to Australia to send back n bring back stranded paxes. Crew should be able to do turn around.

As for the london flight, with more cases in UK, I’m thinking Sin Gov will be banning visitors from there as well.

with all the restrictions, seem like SQ have no more places to fly for the long haul.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ PPS Solitaire, CX Diamond, BA Executive Club Lifetime Gold, World of Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
SQ handles them poorly. See the existing threads.

SQ1 and 2 Cancelled

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sing...aivers-15.html
Now, SQ is forced to handle the waivers that it was previously refusing. Let's see if they still want to charge me a rebooking fee!
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:35 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
SQ have cancelled my flight next month. Not clear of the process for getting a refund.
Unable to access the booking details through SQs website and the Covid-19 form that they encourage me to use gives options to set new travel dates now or retain the value of my ticket I don't see anywhere to request a refund (which I should be due as they cancelled the flight). I don't really want to have to spend hours on the phone if it can be avoided.
Flight was on 5th April so I have some more time.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
SQ have cancelled my flight next month. Not clear of the process for getting a refund.
Unable to access the booking details through SQs website and the Covid-19 form that they encourage me to use gives options to set new travel dates now or retain the value of my ticket I don't see anywhere to request a refund (which I should be due as they cancelled the flight). I don't really want to have to spend hours on the phone if it can be avoided.
Flight was on 5th April so I have some more time.
I am in the same situation. I believe that we should get refund under EC261/04 and I feel that SQ should have made this clear to people with cancelled itineraries originating in the EU. The email says I can use the online form to request assistance, so that was going to be my start point, but I haven’t looked at it yet. I think I will email the UK Reservations as they should have better knowledge of EC261 (I hope).
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:58 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
I've used the form on the website and selected the 'other' option - this reveals a free text box in which I've requested a full refund of fare, taxers and charges to the credit crd used to pay for the flights. They promise a reply within 7 business days......
tbm13 likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: Qantas
On a cancelled SQ212 from Syd to SIN next week. Have been a total of 4 hours on hold, each time cutting out at the 1hr 12min mark. Have emailed etc, but have no faith in trying to get through.

We are very unlikely to be able to use the travel credit and changing plans don't work for us, so we need a refund... Has anyone got any recommendations for getting in contact with SQ? Trying to unwind 6 weeks of flights and hotels travelling through Asia, all booked on travel agents, etc - but the one flight booked directly with the airline (ie this flight!) has been the most difficult to get sorted.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:40 pm

Watching this with interest.

Have a revenue fare fully flexi economy ticket booked with SQ. Not cancelled yet, but suspect it will be. Would rather get full refund and then rebook when we know we can travel again (flights available and personal schedule). I could cancel now and pay USD200 (USD100 each way) for full refund. Not sure which direction to play it...would rather not spend USD200 if not needed, but don't want to lose entire value of ticket.
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:58 pm

For those who flights got cancelled by SQ, should be able to get a full refunds as per TnC.

just fill in the online form under others n state clearly that your flight have been cancelled n have no plan to make further travel n thus need a full refund to the credit card or whatever payment mode.

SQ n many airlines are now using the travel credit/voucher option as they hope to reduce the cash refunds.

BA is even cheeky. They cancelled flights n send email to customer giving option such as rebooking or request for refunds online. They even tell you how to request for refunds in “manage my booking” on BA website. But then the customer go through the process, they are being direct to the request voucher page. So some paxes will just fill in instead n will get voucher. BA pax can only call in to request for refunds.
tbm13 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: United 2P, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Hi all,

Another data point. Like some have reported here, I also called the SQ line to refund an upcoming booking (for my case, it was a nonrefundable business ticket that had a massive schedule change, so I used that as a reason to cancel the ticket altogether and request the refund). The music went silent about 1 hr 11 minutes in... but I held on and just 5 minutes later someone answered the phone (so don't give up if you music goes silent!)

The agent on the line said she couldn't process the refund herself but that she would forward my request to the "concerns" (couldn't hear her completely) department and something would be processed in 12-16 weeks (!!). I tried to get clarification on what the 'something' would be - and if she could guarantee the refund. The only clarification she gave was that my itinerary was now canceled and no longer retrievable, and that I should be hearing back from the "concerns" department in 12-16 weeks. So now I have no flight, but I don't know if I'm getting a refund? She said she couldn't send me any sort of email confirmation.

Should I try speaking with another agent for a more concrete answer? Or would this be expected given the circumstances the airlines are in?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.