Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Experience with SQ Covid-19-related cancellations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with SQ Covid-19-related cancellations?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2020, 5:20 pm

What do you think they will do for elite gold members who were not able to fly to conserve their status?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 6:28 pm

I don't want future credit as who knows what is going to happen in the future. My fare was non-refundable but as SA is the one that cancelled it, not me, I think they should refund the amount to my credit card.

As they’re probably not going to do that, I’m wondering if it’s worth asking my bank for a charge-back, or making a travel insurance claim. Has anyone been successful with either of these two methods?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:02 pm

We pushed for a refund however SQ has claimed force majeure that flights had to be cancelled due to pandemic/govt restrictions out of their control so we took the credit.
as for travel insurance I am sure there would be a small percentage out there who can claim but the vast majority of travel insurance is basically void due to pandemic being declared. Your best bet is to check your policy to see if you can make a claim.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:12 pm

Thanks. Our travel insurance doesn’t mention the word ‘pandemic’ and it came into force on 6 January when I bought the flights, well before the current pandemic was known about. I’ve asked them and they indicate that we’d probably be covered, but we’d have to make a claim to test it.

Has anyone had success with charge-back on their credit card? Or is that not possible as SA is offering future credit?
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: LX SEN & WoH Globalist
Are the current SQ flight credits/vouchers personalized or could I transfer the amount to friends/family members?
Old Mar 31, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Last week I filled out form to change my paid ticket to November flights. Has anyone else requested this and how long did it take to confirm. (many threads and this looked best to post)
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
I ended up calling the Singapore number because I wanted my cancelled flights re-arranged for May, trouble was that the agent said I couldn't move to the flights I wanted as there nothing available in that booking class and couldn't tell me when there would be availability, he said that if I wanted flights in that week it would be an extra NZ$3800 per ticket!!
Old Mar 31, 2020, 8:03 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
There are really no more cheap fare class tickets. Any flights still scheduled either are high demand for those seeking to return home, or are limited demand but a rare offering and those who can and do need to fly will pay. I don't know how stable any available schedule for May will be. Airlines appear to be constantly adjusting their schedule - even if you do pay that flight may end up being cancelled or consolidated closer to date.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by pomkiwi
I've used the form on the website and selected the 'other' option - this reveals a free text box in which I've requested a full refund of fare, taxers and charges to the credit crd used to pay for the flights. They promise a reply within 7 business days......
10 business days later and no reply nor refund....

I will seek a chargeback from Amex early next week after the date of the first cancelled flight.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:40 pm
kkl

Cancelled award flights 3 weeks ago, not showing up on my bookings tab anymore.

no miles / taxes / confirmation email of cancellation yet?

Anyone in same boat?
Old Apr 3, 2020, 2:19 am

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by kkl
Cancelled award flights 3 weeks ago, not showing up on my bookings tab anymore.

no miles / taxes / confirmation email of cancellation yet?

Anyone in same boat?
Called SQ SIN CALL CENTE tonight after noticed my Awards Ticket on LX TLV-ZRH-MXP has FINALLY been CXLD by LX Agent told me I can redeposit miles and refund taxes but both wil ltake 4 months
AA refunded miles in 24 hours for ADl-PER-DOH-AMM-TLV on QF/QR/RJ and taxes after 7 days for their award ticket - no redeposit/cxl fee
UA refunded miles intantly and taxes 2 days later for a LX/SQ award ZRH-BKK-SIN-MEL
What gives with SQ
And I beleive I should be refunded a US$75 change fee for changing dates in TLV-ZRH-MXP award especially since it is no longer flying
Anyway I won't hold my breath but i do love Amex and online disptues - they take it off straight away and it is up to the merchant aka SQ to prove you have received the service, after all -Amex is both the bank and the credit/charge card company -why leave home without it!!!!!!!!!! -after I mentioned this agent said she would put a not in about expedited refund of miles and taxes
Now lets wait and see -I understand this is a very difficult situaton for everyone, but why can SQ agents process refunds immediately if you are speaking to them AA can do it and UA can even do it online without any phone contact! WOW!!
Old Apr 3, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
My husband and I were due to be flying to Sydney on 7th April. Around 3 weeks ago that we were looking into paying a change fee of US$250 each to shift the dates of the non refundable fares to September and the new flights were already reserved, but we decided to cancel the change and wait to see what happened.

On 19th March we received emails confirming that all of the flights in our ARN-SIN-SYD itinerary had been cancelled.

On 21st March I used the online form to request a full refund.

On 30th March I rang the Manchester reservations number and after a very short time on hold the agent put the refund request through while I waited. I was told that the refund could take up to 4 months to be processed, instead of the usual 4-6 weeks, that the refund would be in Singapore dollars (we paid in Swedish Kronor) and that there could a currency loss due to exchange rate fluctuations. I asked for an email confirmation but was told we would get an email only when the refund was processed.

The following morning, 31st March, we got emails from the Stockholm office confirming the refund amount (in Swedish Kronor).

Today, 3rd April, the refund is back in my husbands credit card account. We have lost around £190 In total in the currency conversion back to £ Sterling, but overall we are very happy with the result.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 7:34 am

Canceled 7 days ago. Received refund of taxes, fees, stopover charge (award ticket) on my credit card today, so did not take the four-to-six months.

I posted some prior updates but they disappeared. I don't know if mod is deleting posts?
WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Curious to know what people are doing in order to receive full refunds as opposed to future credits (which is frankly unacceptable).
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Canceled 7 days ago. Received refund of taxes, fees, stopover charge (award ticket) on my credit card today, so did not take the four-to-six months.

I posted some prior updates but they disappeared. I don't know if mod is deleting posts?
Crossing my fingers crossing everything including my mask loops!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.