Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Experience with SQ Covid-19-related cancellations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with SQ Covid-19-related cancellations?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2020, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Judy52
Tyler, Can you tell me if your flights were refundable? Our flights are non-refundable and I tried ringing and asking for manager as people here advised. They wouldn't budge on their policy which is to give credit rather than a refund on non-refundable fares.
Definitely non-refundable. One other point that may matter is that I called the SQ service center in Tokyo (we live in Japan); they have English-speaking operators. Maybe they're easier to deal with than folks located in Singapore?

You paid for a specific flight and once they cancel that flight, it seems like an easy credit card charge-back if you don't get it resolved on the phone (I was prepared to threaten that).
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Originally Posted by treepuppy
Does anyone know whether the SQ flight from Singapore to Incheon is still operating, or any to Haneda, Tokyo? I am trying to explore getting to Incheon or Haneda, as I still have a connecting flight end of April from Haneda to the U.S, but as far as I can tell and I've been told these flights are cancelled for April.

For Incheon, it's just I notice that the Delta web site is offering tickets from SIN - Incheon - Seattle.. and the SIN - Incheon segment is operated by Singapore Airlines. So because they have the ticket available for purchase, it's making me confused whether the flight is really operating or not. Such a confusing time. Thanks for any information...
Hi

You can refer to this website for the operating flights for April 2020 to/from Japan and South Korea:
https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...1northasia.pdf
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:28 am

anybody in this situation?

booked ticket previously using miles (that have already expired by now), then now have to cancel ticket due to covid-related travel ban.
after canceling flight, will the now-expired miles be restored back to your krisflyer account and available for use again in future date?
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by hclee01
Hi

You can refer to this website for the operating flights for April 2020 to/from Japan and South Korea:
https://www.singaporeair.com/saar5/p...1northasia.pdf
The PDFs also don't accurately reflect flights operating either. I went to the Singapore Airlines office last week with a list of dates that should be available. I was told that even though the PDF shows it is operating doesn't mean they really are. The PDFs are more of a 'rough guide.' I'm going to have to try e-mailing them with the e-mail address I got at the office, though they said it might take a week or longer to get a reply.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I find expertflyer a good guide to availability. If it is showing 0 in all classes - the flight is not being sold to passengers. Sometimes this will be the case even if flight is not showing as cancelled.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 1:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
TL;DR: You can waitlist for flights without seat availability and it may clear, if your cancellations only show higher fare classes to get the flights you want

Thought I'd add my fun story, not smooth, but a fair outcome
  • Original flights, Easter HKG-SIN-MLE return, Business Saver tickets (U)
  • I got my cancellation notices when Singapore closed (3 weeks before the flight?) and raised a web ticket using the form ("Other") saying: Book me on alternative flights (CNY 2021) that are only showing Business Flex availability (J) only (approx 250USD/person more) or give me a full refund with no fees
  • About three days before my original flight I got an email saying "your tickets are now cancelled" (they already are?), please use the web-form. I re-copied out the web-form response and replied to the email. It was said that it was going to another team
  • Two days before my flight I got a phone call, saying use the web form to request a flight (I said I already had?). It was a pleasant conversation, but completely pointless as the whole call was to tell me it was cancelled and couldn't do any rebooking
  • Then yesterday (the day of the flight) I got a waitlist clearing notification for the HKG-SIN segments, and 12 hours later the SIN-MLE segments cleared
As such, the outcome: I am happy to have gotten the flights I was willing to take. SQ has clearly taken a decision to not try to charge me more money, and in return they get to keep my cash (perhaps USD4500) for nearly a year interest free. I have no SQ status (nor star alliance) as this was a treat to try them again after many years sticking mostly with oneworld.
The lesson for others: There is clearly something you can do about asking for flights that aren't showing the exact class availability that may mean waitlists can be used to achieve the flights without a price increase.

Clearly I'm not the only one with the same plan as my flight SIN-MLE was already about 40% full of seats (10 months out), so perhaps it was fair they wanted a higher seat class.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:28 am

Seems like there was quite a change in policies today
  • You can have a cash refund
  • or If you take a voucher then you get "bonus" credit $75-200 depending on class - vouchers are valid until June 2021
  • For miles or cash+miles you can have your miles back and any expiring miles will be extended
  • Scoot flights are now refundable for cash

No policy on changing dates without fare difference so I think your experience wasn't usual but it seems completely sensible and I wish more carriers were offering this policy. The risk with a voucher is the fares are much higher when you go to use it
tbm13 and bitterproffit like this.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 6:39 am

Programs: SQ AA TK
Yeap. I got that email too. Though was with reference to reference to a specific ticket of mine. This was despite the fact that I already asked for a refund. (Though not processed)

Effective 9 April 2020:
  1. Bonus flight credits are available to adult travellers who have yet to rebook or use their tickets
  2. Bonus flight credits, which range between SGD75 to SGD500 based on your original cabin class, will be awarded upon rebooking
  3. Any remaining flight credits, bonus or otherwise, may be used for a second trip
  4. The flight credits’ validity has been further extended, so travel need only be completed by 30 June 2021
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:18 am

the best part is now they are offering for refund and waive cancellation fees.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by xiphius
the best part is now they are offering for refund and waive cancellation fees.
Finally a sensible and practical approach that I support and appreciate. Wonder whether I was not covered by this new policy, seems not as I was already in the middle of my rebooking. I only confirmed on the 9th April of course, but it was in my original booking class, so no extra money needed. I suspect it doesn't count for me as I did a rebooking rather than taking flight creedits. 400SGD total would be nice to have towards another flight (HKG-SIN return), but I won't chase them, will see what happens

The new policy is here:
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...t/?id=k8jxbjvz

Now if only they'd announced the extension till June 2021 a day earlier then I would have booked Easter rather than CNY in the Maldives, but never mind, bigger issues in the travel industry to worry about atm...
Old Apr 11, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
So, I've been looking into alternatives because, for the fourth consecutive time, my flights on 2nd May have been zeroed out and I assume therefore they are going to be cancelled. In days gone by there was a ruling called FAA 240 which stated that the airline had to re-route you to your destination even if that meant on a different carrier, alas this rule became defunct in 1978 when the airlines were deregulated and now means that what happens when a cancellation occurs is all down to the carriers Conditions of Carriage. I know that rule was a FAA rule and am unsure what that meant for non-US carriers but that's beside the point as it's defunct anyway but it did start me digging into the SQ Conditions of Carriage. What I found was that under Para. 2. Cancellation, Changes of Schedule, etc. sub Para (2) it states that SQ will "re-route the Passenger to the destination indicated on the Ticket or applicable portion thereof by its own scheduled services or the scheduled services of another carrier, or by means of surface transportation. If the sum of the Fare, excess baggage charge and any applicable service charge for the revised routing is higher than the refund value of the Ticket or applicable portion thereof, Carrier shall require no additional Fare or charge from the Passenger, and shall refund the difference if the Fare and charges for the revised routing are lower".

Now in my casethere is an alternative flight which is an Air NZ AKL-BNE and then Etihad BNE-AUH-LHR (I think sold and ticketed by Etihad as it's all Etihad flight codes/codeshare)that leaves within a couple of days of the original ticket but I wonder what SQ's reaction would be if I asked to be transferred to those flights under their own rules in the Conditions of Carriage? Of course it wouldn't work as being a UK national I'm not allowed to transit in BNE at the moment but it's the principle I'm interested in.

Last edited by Lussac; Apr 11, 2020 at 7:47 pm Reason: added additional info
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Lussac
So, I've been looking into alternatives because, for the fourth consecutive time, my flights on 2nd May have been zeroed out and I assume therefore they are going to be cancelled. In days gone by there was a ruling called FAA 240 which stated that the airline had to re-route you to your destination even if that meant on a different carrier, alas this rule became defunct in 1978 when the airlines were deregulated and now means that what happens when a cancellation occurs is all down to the carriers Conditions of Carriage. I know that rule was a FAA rule and am unsure what that meant for non-US carriers but that's beside the point as it's defunct anyway but it did start me digging into the SQ Conditions of Carriage. What I found was that under Para. 2. Cancellation, Changes of Schedule, etc. sub Para (2) it states that SQ will "re-route the Passenger to the destination indicated on the Ticket or applicable portion thereof by its own scheduled services or the scheduled services of another carrier, or by means of surface transportation. If the sum of the Fare, excess baggage charge and any applicable service charge for the revised routing is higher than the refund value of the Ticket or applicable portion thereof, Carrier shall require no additional Fare or charge from the Passenger, and shall refund the difference if the Fare and charges for the revised routing are lower".

Now in my casethere is an alternative flight which is an Air NZ AKL-BNE and then Etihad BNE-AUH-LHR (I think sold and ticketed by Etihad as it's all Etihad flight codes/codeshare)that leaves within a couple of days of the original ticket but I wonder what SQ's reaction would be if I asked to be transferred to those flights under their own rules in the Conditions of Carriage? Of course it wouldn't work as being a UK national I'm not allowed to transit in BNE at the moment but it's the principle I'm interested in.

Most likely they will just refund you n you can book on your end as there is no guarantee that any rebooked flight will still be flying.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 1:55 pm

You are right of course, There's virtually nothing leaving AKL for Europe until June now apart from a flight via Fiji and the USA, some United services via SFO in mid-May and the Etihad services via Australia which are no good unless you are from these parts.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 1:49 pm

Something amusing to share.

My travel companion was booked on JFK-FRA-SIN in SQ25 on 19 March. Flight was cancelled.

On 14 March, someone emailed to say that they tried to contact us but was unable to reach. We were asked to call the US reservations or provide an alternate number along with suitable time for them to call back.

Obviously the US call center was jam logged and we could not get through even after many tries. So we replied to the email on 14 March, and provided our US hotel number for them to call back.

Meanwhile we saw on the SQ app that the flight was rebooked to the EWR-SIN in SQ21 direct flight on the same day. My travel companion simply assumed the change was in order, went to the airport, checked in, flew home.

Just this week, on 18 April, almost a month after having flown home, we received a much delayed email reply from US reservations “regretting any inconvenience caused by the delay in our response due to the heavy influx of emails, and we appreciate your patience while you were awaiting to hear from us.”

Cryofern likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:11 pm

I have had no replies at all to my emails/web forms since mid-March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.