Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Experience with SQ Covid-19-related cancellations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experience with SQ Covid-19-related cancellations?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Probably the “concerned” department (as in the department concerned with processing refunds), not the “concerns” department.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: United 2P, AA Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Probably the “concerned” department (as in the department concerned with processing refunds), not the “concerns” department.
Ah, makes sense, thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by lokijuh
I think that is right - it seems to be the stock answer given by SQ social on twitter "forward to the concerned department" etc etc). If the flight is cancelled, it should just be a refund. I couldn't understand how they have any right to force you to take a credit. I'm in the same boat myself.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
I was very impressed by the service that I received from SQ at Auckland airport yesterday. Late on Thursday evening I received an email saying that our SIN-ZRH flight had been cancelled and to contact our travel agent to re-arrange flights, this was part of our AKL-SIN-ZRH-ARN then on to LHR with BA on a separate ticket. The trouble was that the travel agent had gone incommunicado last week and all the 'phone lines were dead and they were not replying to emails or active on social media so no hope of getting any changes. I did have a local number for SQ reservations in AKL that I used last week to re-schedule the ZRH-ARL leg that also had been cancelled and that call was answered first ring, tried that number yesterday but it had been disconnected I guess due to the volume of calls that they must have had this week from others that had found the number. I decided to make the trip out to AKL (2 hours away) to see if I could speak to the service desk there and it was absolute chaos and was directed to the ticket office where I had to fill in numbered sheet with name and telephone number. After 4 hours I was called into the inner ticket office and was dealt with by a very calm chap who kindly reissued our tickets through to LHR (AKL-SIN-LHR) with no additional cost or fees, how he was so calm given the immense pressure and sheer number of people to be dealt with is beyond me. As an aside there were a lot of people who just wanted refunds and they were given a photocopied sheet of the on-line form and were told to fill it in and drop it into the office when completed and his reduced the queue somewhat. There were also people with tickets issued by other airlines but containing a sector on SQ and these people were also sent away and told to contact the issuing airline.

Last edited by Lussac; Mar 21, 2020 at 9:53 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: Formerly(!): CO Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Loews Gold, Avis First.
Submitted my refund instruction on the SQ website "enquiry" form, so we'll see how that goes.

Also submitted policy cancellation instruction on the AIG website. They've introduced an arbitrary condition that you must have purchased coverage within 15 days of your claim to be eligible for a refund - otherwise it's a voucher. Notified them that this isn't acceptable; easy chargeback/small claims court if they refuse.

Now onto trying to get refunds for UK train travel... some operators being reasonable, others have cut back services but claim extending ticket validity will get them off the hook.... nope!
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:15 am

I got 1 flight in March and 2 flights in April.

I was intending to salvage what I can get. For my March flight, if I cancel, I will get back less than 25% of ticket cost. I was advised to fill up a COVID-19 form under "Help & Feedback".

Choose Option 1 of the 3 options. For option 1, all bookings made on or before 15 March 2020, you can get back the full amount for a one-time rebooking till 23 Mar 2021.

(Audio)
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:11 am

Went and saw our TA today about our options for our now cancelled trip.
He did a bit of leg work for us before we came regarding refund Vs travel credit.
Basically if we wanted the refund our original fare rules applied, being non refundable tickets we would get little back out of the 4k we spent. The airline is claiming cancelled flights due to government restrictions is out of their control.
So travel credit it is.
osotoc likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:34 am

My experience cancelling today at ION Orchard & was told that per 18 March all cancellations
- to non refundable tickets can only be open dated until 31 March 2021.
- to refundable tickets can be refunded but cancellation fee, of SGD70 for example, still apply.
After almost 3 hours wait, I managed to get the refundable tickets fully refunded after a long discussion.
Hopefully when covid-19 soften, SQ does release more of those cheap booking class that most of us booked. Or we will be forced to pay for fare difference.
And try to stay away from "cheap" airfares that has been circulating ex-EU for example. Because no one knows if those P class would be made available should we need to reschedule in future.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by terbangalways
My experience cancelling today at ION Orchard & was told that per 18 March all cancellations
- to refundable tickets can be refunded but cancellation fee, of SGD70 for example, still apply.
After almost 3 hours wait, I managed to get the refundable tickets fully refunded after a long discussion.
Hopefully when covid-19 soften, SQ does release more of those cheap booking class that most of us booked. Or we will be forced to pay for fare difference.
And try to stay away from "cheap" airfares that has been circulating ex-EU for example. Because no one knows if those P class would be made available should we need to reschedule in future.
Does that include involuntary cancellations (i.e. when SQ cancels the flight)? Just doesn't seem fair to me.
tbm13 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:20 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by terbangalways
Thanks for sharing. If the flights that were booked on the refundable fare are cancelled / not operating, there should be no reason to collect a cancellation fee from the customer. That questionable. For non-refundable ones fine, open dating them for future use is the way to go.

Last edited by demue; Mar 24, 2020 at 3:48 am
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:25 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hannadanna
Does that include involuntary cancellations (i.e. when SQ cancels the flight)? Just doesn't seem fair to me.
+1. Same thought. Under certain EU regulations like 261/04 that would be a very borderline case (still doesn't mean EU carriers won't try the same), but of course such does not apply to SQ unless the flight in question is origination from EU. YMMV.
tbm13 likes this.

Last edited by demue; Mar 24, 2020 at 3:47 am
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by hannadanna
Yes. Even if SQ cancels your flight, And if your ticket is non-refundable. Then you could only open dated it and travel by 31 Mar 2020. With one time free rebooking fee.
So my non-refundable tickets on SQ cancelled flights are all open dated. With no possibility of refund.
Not sure if others with status have different treatment.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by demue
Thanks for sharing. If the flights that were booked on the refundable fare are cancelled / not operating, there should be no reason to collect a cancellation fee from the customer. That questionable. For non-refundable ones fine, open dating them for future use is the way to go.
The CS insisted that I pay SGD 70 for my Flexi tickets. And i asked to speak to her manager after long talk with her.
She went away for a very long time twice. And finally waived the SGD 70. And i have got 10 tickets so it does add up!
Even for involuntary cancellation on non-refundable tickets, refund should be the case.
Imagine you got 10 tickets thats all open dated until 31 March 2021. Then we all will be swamped trying to use those tickets. And fighting for the same fare class that no one knows if it is going to be widely available.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Need some help with this....

Scheduled to fly LAX-SIN-REP / RGN-SIN-LAX

I took the LAX-SIN-REP flight but the rest was cancelled and I flew home via EVA Air. Contacted Singapore Airlines and have heard nothing in over a week. I would like to file a credit card dispute but I don't even know how much to dispute. Is there a way to figure out what the value of the RGN-SIN-LAX portion of the flight is? I can't dispute the entire charge because they did get me to REP.

In addition, I paid extra for seat selection on the SIN-LAX flight. What are the odds that gets refunded?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
For those who flights got cancelled by SQ, should be able to get a full refunds as per TnC.

just fill in the online form under others n state clearly that your flight have been cancelled n have no plan to make further travel n thus need a full refund to the credit card or whatever payment mode.

SQ n many airlines are now using the travel credit/voucher option as they hope to reduce the cash refunds.

BA is even cheeky. They cancelled flights n send email to customer giving option such as rebooking or request for refunds online. They even tell you how to request for refunds in “manage my booking” on BA website. But then the customer go through the process, they are being direct to the request voucher page. So some paxes will just fill in instead n will get voucher. BA pax can only call in to request for refunds.
Our flight from Cairns to Singapore next month has been cancelled (Australia and Singapore have travel bans) and we requested a refund and have been told we are not entitled. Only allowed to rebook a later flight or keep an open ticket for 12 months. I have tried arguing against this without luck so far.
osotoc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.