Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The 'new' SQ21/SQ22 (A350-900ULR): reviews, trip reports, best/worst seats and more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'new' SQ21/SQ22 (A350-900ULR): reviews, trip reports, best/worst seats and more

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Have noticed they did the re-inaugural SQ21 via the polar route (for show?) but since have been doing this flight via northern Europe, which was the route taken when I've taken this flight in the past. I guess depends on the tailwinds.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by airsurfer
On Flightaware I found that the last two days they flew an A340.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...455Z/KEWR/WSSS

What happened to the A350-900 ULR ?
The routes are currently flown by SQ's A350-900ULR, not an A340, as davidlhanson has also pointed out. The A340's have left the fleet.

Flightware is probably confused over the aircraft registrations. SIA had previously registered the A340-500's as 9V-SGA, 9V-SGB etc. They have reused the registrations for the new A350-900ULRs. This is likely causing some inconsistency in the aircraft registration databases of some websites.

For example, airfleets.net has 2 records for 9V-SGA. One is the old registration for the A340-500, and a new one for the A350.

https://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-a340-492.htm

https://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-a350-220.htm
davidlhanson likes this.

Last edited by sqyf; Oct 21, 2018 at 7:34 pm
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Oshkosh105
I had an opportunity to join the inaugural SQ22 in PEY and these were some of my thoughts:

1. There would be no way I would recommend doing a flight of this length in anything less than PEY. The extra legroom and recline was welcome, although no replacement for a lie flat. Hard product is very similar to their current A350 seats - I used the blanket as an extra cushion and found that to work well for most of the flight. The single seats with the storage units seemed like the best in the cabin.

2. Meal service was good and well paced for someone based on Singapore time (seems like Quest didn’t agree). I had the cauliflower steak for my first meal which was delicious. Perhaps I don’t fly PEY enough, but surprised that food was still served in plastic instead of higher quality reusable items (like porcelain).

3. Flight attendants were always available to help with any requests. I saw some hanging jackets for PEY passengers. Call bells were answered promptly. Water services at least every hour.

4. Entertainment system was great. Awesome screen, and even more content than normal for SQ.

5. WiFi was spotty. Sounds like bandwidth may have been limited at the beginning of the flight with the number of users, and having a “dead zone” of 4 hours was pretty inconvenient if you are trying to work.

Personal note: I now work in Singapore and my family live on the East Coast. The convenience of taking a single flight and then connecting to Amtrak will hands down win my business on every fly back trip to the US.

If I knew there was no chance to upgrade, I’d probably fly economy with a stop in Japan to break up the flights. If flying PEY and the price differential isn’t too bad, I’d definitely recommend this flight. I know in Singapore they’ve been running a promotion for S$1428 travel in PEY (about US$1000).
At that price, I booked myself another ticket home to see family for the holidays.

Good luck and safe travels to other fellow flyers embarking on this journey!
Thanks for the update. Hope you enjoyed the flight.

Just wondering how's the "noise-cancelling headphones" in PEY? If it's 1/2 decent, I'll not bring my own as I'll be bringing my PJ's, neck pillow & extra cushion for my bum

Love AMTRAK too! The train ride from NYC to PHL was fast, on time and comfortable. Would definitely take it again instead of a domestic flight anytime.

Re: PEY dinnerware, I guess porcelain or ceramic dishes are for J class and above, so as to create a distinction between Y/PEY.
No airline would want their premium class pax to buy down to PEY by making the offering too good.
BTC is a nice touch for PEY but I always order a LSML so it makes little difference to me but I'm sure many other pax will appreciate the extra options.

First time on the non stop to EWR later this week, & I've booked another at the promo fare for just after CNY 2019.
That'll secure KF SL for me until 2020, which will come in handy for comp seat selection on those pesky SQ Y Lite fares.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:29 pm

Can anyone comment on single biz class seats 10A, 11A/K, 19A/K?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by kaffir76
Re: PEY dinnerware, I guess porcelain or ceramic dishes are for J class and above, so as to create a distinction between Y/PEY.
No airline would want their premium class pax to buy down to PEY by making the offering too good.
American Airlines has proper dinnerware for PEY and if i could book Business I would. lie flat vs recliner is what makes the difference. It sounds like from the reviews I've seen outside of the solo PEY seats i may have had a better experience on AA premium product that what is upcoming for my SQ flight in January.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Does anyone know whether the single PEY seats will be available without a surcharge or status?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
Yes, solo seat selection is for free for anyone for now
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Anyone who has travelled on the aircraft (up the back in PE) can comment on whether the single seats are better or the exit rows at the front? As a Solitaire my partner can access the exit row free of charge, on our trip to LAX early next year we have single seats selected outbound but the exit rows on return. The extra ledge of the single seat looks good, but I still think the idea of no-one reclining in front of you might be better, also the lack of the foot rest beneath the seat in front might also be a bonus (when I travelled once on PE seat on 77W, I found the foot rest really annoying).
Old Oct 25, 2018, 4:42 pm

How active/loud is the front galley in J?

Trying to choose between row 12 and 15 in the front section.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Frayed_Yak
Does anyone know whether the single PEY seats will be available without a surcharge or status?
Confirm they are free. Just booked one!
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Echo that - no status with SQ at all (but hold UA*G), but was able to select 42H without any additional fee. Also agree that these seats are probably the best in PE...the storage box is great, and once closed, can be used as an additional desk. That said, I'm currently on 9V-SGC, the newest 350-900 ULR in SQ's fleet. While most things were good to impressive (like I did BTC and got my meal 15 minutes after wheels up from Singapore!), I think there are some areas where an improvement is warranted:

- my seat was broken already - legrest did not extend because the button was stuck (obviuosy someone pressed it too hard). For a plane that only had one revenue roundtrip on its clock and been on the ground in SIN for more than two days this is kind of unexpected.
- the reading lights that are located under the overhead bins point anywhere, just not to some useful place. Whenever I turned them on, one lighted the back of my storage box and the other blinded the passenger in 43G.
- much to my surprise the video playback was stagnating. Every minute or two the picture and audio would freeze for about half a second before continuing - even during the safety video before takeoff.
- I had difficulties connecting my Bose headset to the headphone socket - the two-prong adapter would not work at all, so I had to fiddle the normal single prong into one of the two plus in a way to have audio on both ears. Compared NC between my Bose and the headset SQ provides, and it's a lightyear difference between the two...if only Bluetooth-connectivity between IFE and the headset would be possible.
- I echo previous comments in regard to no porcelain flatware being used - even Lufthansa does that in their PE, and they are far from setting the pace here.

Other than that I had a good night's sleep (on my replacement seat I was offered for the leg-rest issue) - slept from Japan to Anchorage, so about six hours which is my normal take on sleep on the ground. Even did not notice the mid-flight meal being served at all, so I must have had a sound sleep...:-)! I now have 12:23 down, 4:48 to go - so nowhere near the 18:25 block time, estimated arrival is almost an hour early for today's flight. And for the appox. 850€ [~970 US$) I paid for a one-way BLR-SIN-EWR I got a really good value, the "short way home" (final destination is Germany) would have even been slightly more expensive than the two one-ways BLR-EWR and EWR-CGN, and this way I get the opportunity to shop around EWR before heading back home.

Greetings - Dirk
w4rd and lc412000 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:36 am

My husband and I are booked Business Class SIN - EWR early next year....trying to determine if we would have arrival lounge access in Newark? The Singapore website shows access to the Virgin Clubhouse...we are departing on a Delta flight that is terminal B so we have come back through security anyway ....
Old Oct 28, 2018, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mileageking
Can anyone comment on single biz class seats 10A, 11A/K, 19A/K?
10A is nice but on my flights was blocked off for use by cabin crew as an alternative to their bunks. 11A and 11K have that capacious extra legroom.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Smile TR on PEY coming soon

Sat at the Virgin ClubHouse right now, heading back to SIN in < 2 hours time.
Will be writing my first TR on FT when I get back, I will be including some pics, analysis & thoughts on :

1. the flight itself (e.g. departure/arrival times & how my body reacted to the night time dep. from SIN vs. the day time dep. from EWR)
2. the best seats in PEY - very controversial
3. the unique all PEY cabin & seats, cabin crew & service, pax behavior etc.
4. airport counter check in times & some info. on TSA Pre-Check @ EWR
5. Virgin Clubhouse (maybe make a comparison report to the BA Lounge next door?)
6. pax shaming - hmm very tempted to include this

and much, much more ...

I've yet to figure out the format for the TR - should I document each flight separately or combine both flights and dissect into sections but the overall plan is to include unique (non-conforming) views & practical tips on how to get comfy before & during the flight (things begin to go sideways after hour 15, at least for me .. )

Hopefully, other travelers on this ULH flight will find the info. helpful.

All right-y then, wish me luck for the looong flight back home & I'll try to get writing as soon as the jet lag wears off ^
Old Oct 29, 2018, 4:41 pm

Out of curiousity i was looking at possibility of a backup plan of redeeming UR and possibly some TYP to SQ to do EWR-SING-BKK flight . Just want to make sure I have an option if I am not able to do JFK-NRT-BKK via ANA with VS miles. I can’t seem to find availability the farthest date available which would be Oct 19. I couldn’t find any for both legs so i just looked for EWR-SING. Doesn’t look like any saver award is available, There is only advantage award which is slightly more miles. I am wondering is SQ blocking access to saver award on this particular flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.