Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
If I waitlist multiple JFK-SIN flights via FRA can I later add in a stopover in FRA assuming the different segments clear on different dates?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:22 pm

Crap. I was just about to book my LAX to SIN in F but I just realized that the flight lands at 2am in Singapore. What's there to do in Singapore in that situation? Airport hotel for the night? It'd be really exhausting trying to trek around with luggage til check in time.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 5:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by phant0m
Crap. I was just about to book my LAX to SIN in F but I just realized that the flight lands at 2am in Singapore. What's there to do in Singapore in that situation? Airport hotel for the night? It'd be really exhausting trying to trek around with luggage til check in time.
You could book the room from the night before. That's what I'd do anyway.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
So I've been playing around with routes and times all afternoon and I've found some good options but I'm not exactly sure if it's all worth it.

My trip structure is as such
LAX to SIN to SGN to DAD to HKG to SFO

Option 1: LAX to SIN with a 15 hour overnight layover in Tokyo in F. 236,000 points for two people.
Option 2: LAX to SIN to SGN using stopover rules for J. 176,000 points for two people.

Option 1 is enticing because we get a dinner in Tokyo after landing at 7pm and fly out in the morning at 8am. This option would be pretty expensive because I'd probably shell out more points for a hotel in the city as well as a bus into the city.
Option 2 I save a ton of points plus I get a business class flight to Saigon on top so I wouldn't have to pay that out of pocket (I would have done Economy anyways so that's only like a $100 savings).

Option 2 is the right choice right? Am I getting too jaded about being able to spend a night in Tokyo?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 6:52 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
If both flights are NRT (assuming it is if it's SQ ex-LAX via TYO, and then SQ from NRT to SIN, with just 15 hours in between, and the flight the next day departs at 8 am from NRT), I'd say it's probably a bit optimistic, depending on where in Tokyo you intend to go for dinner. You're unlikely to be in Tokyo city until 9 pm (or even later), and then being back at NRT by around 6 am for 8 am departure which means you need to leave your hotel in Tokyo by 04:30 am at the latest, if not earlier.

I'd say no to that, and stay somewhere close to NRT, personally.

Or you might be talking about landing at NRT but flying out of HND, which would be better (you will have more time in Tokyo), but you will need to pick up your bags at NRT and check them in again at HND, which is a pain (and NRT Limousine Bus to your chosen hotel may have finished for the day, in which case it becomes more painful because you will need to catch a taxi from somewhere like Tokyo station).

You could do into and out of NRT and go for dinner in Tokyo and manage it pretty well if you are prepared to pay for a taxi (c. USD 200 each way from Narita to Tokyo and vv. Tokyo city centre to Haneda is about c. USD 70 in many cases, or a bit more), or just put up with sleep deprivation.

But for that little time, and with time difference and a long flight from LAX, as well as SQ feeding you a huge amount of food on flights, I wouldn't get fixated on a dinner in Tokyo. I usually skip the next meal after SQ F flight because I'm simply not hungry.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 25, 2018 at 6:59 pm
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I dunno whenever I fly SQ in F I am pretty well rested when I arrive after sleeping on the plane. Like the OP mentioned I would probably just book my hotel to include the night before and just notify the hotel it will be a very late check in. If you don't want to do that the airport has a ton of stuff you can do if you are not inclined to head into the city and I believe they have some places you can get a room for a few hours as well. Another alternative is to head to your hotel and just have them hold your luggage until checkin time.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:29 pm

If both flights are NRT (assuming it is if it's SQ ex-LAX via TYO, and then SQ from NRT to SIN, with just 15 hours in between, and the flight the next day departs at 8 am from NRT), I'd say it's probably a bit optimistic, depending on where in Tokyo you intend to go for dinner. You're unlikely to be in Tokyo city until 9 pm (or even later), and then being back at NRT by around 6 am for 8 am departure which means you need to leave your hotel in Tokyo by 04:30 am at the latest, if not earlier.

I'd say no to that, and stay somewhere close to NRT, personally.

Or you might be talking about landing at NRT but flying out of HND, which would be better (you will have more time in Tokyo), but you will need to pick up your bags at NRT and check them in again at HND, which is a pain (and NRT Limousine Bus to your chosen hotel may have finished for the day, in which case it becomes more painful because you will need to catch a taxi from somewhere like Tokyo station).

You could do into and out of NRT and go for dinner in Tokyo and manage it pretty well if you are prepared to pay for a taxi (c. USD 200 each way from Narita to Tokyo and vv. Tokyo city centre to Haneda is about c. USD 70 in many cases, or a bit more), or just put up with sleep deprivation.

But for that little time, and with time difference and a long flight from LAX, as well as SQ feeding you a huge amount of food on flights, I wouldn't get fixated on a dinner in Tokyo. I usually skip the next meal after SQ F flight because I'm simply not hungry.
Thanks. You're right I probably would be done getting into the city, checking into the hotel around 9-10pm and then having to wake up around 6am to get to HND. I'll save my return trip to Tokyo for another year.

Hard part is getting an opening for an HKG to SFO F seat home but I'll worry about that later.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
Definitely not Tokyo, the overall time + miles + cash economics just don't make sense to spend <12 hours in the city, and those 12 hours aren't even the good part of the day.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 9:03 pm

Just booked my flight. Sadly row 11 and 19 were already taken on the A350 ☹️
Old Jul 26, 2018, 8:33 pm

Thinking abt taking the new F suite on SIN <-> ZRH

Which direction has more advantages if i am flexible - from the perspective of preboarding experience, onboard service?

Usually i like taking a flight from the airline's hub / flagship lounge city, which means SIN->ZRH.
I have been to the J lounge in SIN airport, but not to its Private Room

And I presume if you take ZRH->SIN, then at most you can only access the business lounge of Swiss despite being on F ticket, correct?
I quite like the J Swiss lounge in ZRH airport, very nice, though i cant remember which one I was in since I think there are a couple.

I know SIN->ZRH is a night flight, so less service, while ZRH->SIN is a day flight...

Any inputs appreciated, thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
Thinking abt taking the new F suite on SIN <-> ZRH

Which direction has more advantages if i am flexible - from the perspective of preboarding experience, onboard service?

Usually i like taking a flight from the airline's hub / flagship lounge city, which means SIN->ZRH.
I have been to the J lounge in SIN airport, but not to its Private Room

And I presume if you take ZRH->SIN, then at most you can only access the business lounge of Swiss despite being on F ticket, correct?
I quite like the J Swiss lounge in ZRH airport, very nice, though i cant remember which one I was in since I think there are a couple.

I know SIN->ZRH is a night flight, so less service, while ZRH->SIN is a day flight...

Any inputs appreciated, thanks!
1. Meal service a lot more elaborate on ZRH-SIN. SIN-ZRH will be an abbreviated supper service.

2. You will be able to use the Senator lounge at ZRH.

3. Haven't needed to myself, but it has been widely reported that you can use the Private Room in Singapore upon arrival if you wish.

Overall, I would suggest ZRH-SIN, all others being equal.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by stargold
1. Meal service a lot more elaborate on ZRH-SIN. SIN-ZRH will be an abbreviated supper service.

2. You will be able to use the Senator lounge at ZRH.

3. Haven't needed to myself, but it has been widely reported that you can use the Private Room in Singapore upon arrival if you wish.

Overall, I would suggest ZRH-SIN, all others being equal.
Thanks! I am leaning towards the same.

OK, SIN is actually not my final destination.. was planning to hop on another regional flight.

So if I can use the PR then looks like a bonus deal to me..
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Does SQ generally offer buy-ups from *A award tickets booked in X class? For example, flying SIN-HKG on SQ with a UA MileagePlus ticket, is there a way to pay for an upgrade at least into Premium Economy?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: LH FTL
SQ sent me a minor schedule change via email, in which I was asked to accept the change, but when I click on it, I only see
message"error.internalServerError"
description"Internal server error"
fieldErrorsnull
No idea, whether my acceptance went through or what will happen, if they didn't receive it.
Any thoughts or experinces?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:37 pm

I have never used Singapore Airlines mostly because not good connectivity from midwest. I am looking for BOM-MCI and have some question:

I found availability in business from BOM-SIN-LAX with 98k KF and BOM-SIN-MAN-IAH with 110k, can I book this through United for 80k united points?
If its bookable through united, they should be able add LAX/IAH to MCI correct?
If its not bookable through united, is there any way to add LAX/IAH to MCI with SQ partner?

I appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.