Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General SQ Questions 2009-2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:40 am

As a UK national flying from London, am I allowed to fly between SIN-Thailand for tourism? I have no idea what the rules are these days.

I can fly from LHR-BKK (or HKT) but I am not sure if a UK national is eligible to fly from SIN-Thailand, even if vaccinated?

I want to spend 3 weeks away but SG is too expensive, so that's why I am considering Thailand as well.
Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Hi all, I'm looking at transferring over some amex miles to SQ and getting one of the VTL flights LHR-SIN, but they're all waitlist only.

Does anyone have any idea if they ever clear? and what sort of timeframe they are? I dont want to needlessly burn amex points
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:30 am

Trying to understand the current options (understanding they may change in the future...) for travel. Looking to travel New Zealand - Europe return on SQ in March / April 2022.

Struggling to understand:
- if we had a layover in SIN (e.g. 30 hours) could we go landside? Previously we would stay at the Crowne Plaza but that doesn't seem to be bookable.
- if we can't go landside, do we have full run of the airport, or only a holding pen?
- does travelling with children (two under five years old) make any differences?
- New Zealand does not appear to be on the VTL list; I hope it might be included as travel becomes more possible to/from?
- what else do we need to be aware of? SIN was always a great place to transit pre-covid, but I am not familiar with the latest situation

Appreciate any thoughts.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by ukflyer1
Trying to understand the current options (understanding they may change in the future...) for travel. Looking to travel New Zealand - Europe return on SQ in March / April 2022.

Struggling to understand:
- if we had a layover in SIN (e.g. 30 hours) could we go landside? Previously we would stay at the Crowne Plaza but that doesn't seem to be bookable.
- if we can't go landside, do we have full run of the airport, or only a holding pen?
- does travelling with children (two under five years old) make any differences?
- New Zealand does not appear to be on the VTL list; I hope it might be included as travel becomes more possible to/from?
- what else do we need to be aware of? SIN was always a great place to transit pre-covid, but I am not familiar with the latest situation

Appreciate any thoughts.

right now, you can’t go to land side unless you are Singapore citizen or PR. Even so, they will also subject to stay home notice/quarantine depending on where they fly from.

right now I think NZ is in the Cat II countries list, thus anyone from NZ can roam around in the transit area.

as for the return from Europe, it will depend on the country that you fly from. For some countries, you will go into a transit holding area instead of the normal transit area.

as for the VTL, NZ have not open up to tourists, so we will need to wait for the NZ gov to give the green light.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by aceman
Hi all, I'm looking at transferring over some amex miles to SQ and getting one of the VTL flights LHR-SIN, but they're all waitlist only.

Does anyone have any idea if they ever clear? and what sort of timeframe they are? I dont want to needlessly burn amex points
they might clear or might not clear. We won’t know. It all depend on the demand n how many cash tickets SQ is able to sell

suggest you book the other way instead.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by A380 Flyer
As a UK national flying from London, am I allowed to fly between SIN-Thailand for tourism? I have no idea what the rules are these days.

I can fly from LHR-BKK (or HKT) but I am not sure if a UK national is eligible to fly from SIN-Thailand, even if vaccinated?

I want to spend 3 weeks away but SG is too expensive, so that's why I am considering Thailand as well.

You can do a transit in SIN. Or if you wan to stay at SIN for a few days before flying to BKK, you should be able to do so as well right now
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by aceman

I booked a VTL flight for a relative over Xmas that was on waiting list. This was for Business Class seat LHR to SIN and it cleared after a week. That was not long after the VTL was extended to include UK.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
You can do a transit in SIN. Or if you wan to stay at SIN for a few days before flying to BKK, you should be able to do so as well right now
Needs to be a VTL flight to get into Singapore though. Otherwise full quarantine rules apply.

PCR tests at SIN currently take around 5-6 hours to receive results and during that time you have to wait in hotel. Great if you can get a VTL flight into Singapore though, but at the moment seats until after Xmas are being snapped up pretty quick.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:39 pm

I am stuck in a pretty bad spot, and would appreciate any help:
I transferred about 100k miles from my credit card to KrisFlyer, and in attempt to achieve Silver tier, transferred another 25k miles from a friend's credit card account (This is because, during the promotion period til Feb 22, they are granting 1 Elite miles per 5 miles transferred). The transfer from my friend's account was done via the Bank's redemption page, where my name & membership number was added as authorized beneficiary. The bank's redemption portal did not complain about it even once. A few days later when the miles hit the KF account, my account was frozen citing "KrisFlyer miles can only be earned or converted by the KrisFlyer member performing the transaction with programme partners" which I had no idea about till the freeze took place. The miles have been credited, and the credit has indeed happened under my own name & KF number, but since the originating credit card account name is not mine, they are asking me to provide credit card statements showing my name and address in the transaction - which is not possible as it was done from my friend's credit card account! I did send them screenshot of the miles transfer beneficiary list - and the miles redemption under my name screenshots, but they say that won't work. The agent isn't providing any help, and the replies hit in like 13 days, making the situation more stressful than it should be.
What should I do next? Frankly, I was not aware that this not allowed (this is my first Frequent Flyer program, and first redemption transfer). Should I bail and forfeit the 25k miles, in order to redeem the rest of 100k miles? Is there a higher "grievance redressal" contact/email that can help me on an exception basis? The transfer was made will full permission of my friend, and if required, we can provide a written approval note with identity documents.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 7:05 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by _atx
I transferred about 100k miles from my credit card to KrisFlyer, and in attempt to achieve Silver tier, transferred another 25k miles from a friend's credit card account (This is because, during the promotion period til Feb 22, they are granting 1 Elite miles per 5 miles transferred). The transfer from my friend's account was done via the Bank's redemption page, where my name & membership number was added as authorized beneficiary. The bank's redemption portal did not complain about it even once. A few days later when the miles hit the KF account, my account was frozen citing "KrisFlyer miles can only be earned or converted by the KrisFlyer member performing the transaction with programme partners" which I had no idea about till the freeze took place. The miles have been credited, and the credit has indeed happened under my own name & KF number, but since the originating credit card account name is not mine, they are asking me to provide credit card statements showing my name and address in the transaction - which is not possible as it was done from my friend's credit card account! I did send them screenshot of the miles transfer beneficiary list - and the miles redemption under my name screenshots, but they say that won't work. The agent isn't providing any help, and the replies hit in like 13 days, making the situation more stressful than it should be.
What should I do next? Frankly, I was not aware that this not allowed (this is my first Frequent Flyer program, and first redemption transfer). Should I bail and forfeit the 25k miles, in order to redeem the rest of 100k miles? Is there a higher "grievance redressal" contact/email that can help me on an exception basis? The transfer was made will full permission of my friend, and if required, we can provide a written approval note with identity documents.
It may not be that easy to just forfeit the 25K miles. Your account probably will be under audit for quite a while until someone else from a different department clears your account.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by freed0m
It may not be that easy to just forfeit the 25K miles. Your account probably will be under audit for quite a while until someone else from a different department clears your account.
Originally Posted by _atx
Is there a possibility of reversal (miles back to points to the source credit card) or transferring the miles to another KF account with the name as per the credit card?
Old Dec 7, 2021, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g
right now, you can’t go to land side unless you are Singapore citizen or PR. Even so, they will also subject to stay home notice/quarantine depending on where they fly from.

right now I think NZ is in the Cat II countries list, thus anyone from NZ can roam around in the transit area.

as for the return from Europe, it will depend on the country that you fly from. For some countries, you will go into a transit holding area instead of the normal transit area.

as for the VTL, NZ have not open up to tourists, so we will need to wait for the NZ gov to give the green light.
Thanks for the input. I understood if you were on a VTL flight, you could go landside without quarantine?
You are correct, I found the list, NZ is a Cat II country. I would expect it to move to CAT I as things open up, notwithstanding any other major developments.
Exploring the transit areas at least gives some options for food and entertaining kids.
Returning from Europe (likely London) will be too hard to anticipate what the status would be.

Whilst I would like to book with a long layover, I think it would be more sensible to book with a short layover, so we don't run the risk of ending up in a holding area for a long time e.g. overnight.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 3:24 am

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by ukflyer1
Thanks for the input. I understood if you were on a VTL flight, you could go landside without quarantine?
You would need VTP and on-arrival test and place to quarantine before result is out.

I doubt you can do landside on layover.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 7:23 am

Working on booking a SIN-FRA-JFK one-way for two F suites. Each segment is available at the Saver level when I search individually, but when I search the whole itinerary, there is no Saver availability at all, only Advantage. Is there any workaround to booking the full route at Saver?

Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 9:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Originally Posted by akober220
Working on booking a SIN-FRA-JFK one-way for two F suites. Each segment is available at the Saver level when I search individually, but when I search the whole itinerary, there is no Saver availability at all, only Advantage. Is there any workaround to booking the full route at Saver?

Thanks.
book over the phone. Had this happen before. They booked it with no extra phone charge. Ymmv

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.