FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

carrotjuice Jun 2, 2012 4:52 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18679259)
Anyone started using the new UOB Amex PRIVI Miles AMEX yet? :)

Yup... so far accepted by all my merchants, with the exception of Chan Brothers - even though their website says they accept all cards aside from Diners and JCB, they told me that "with immediate effect" they have stopped accepting Amex. :td:

SQueeze Jun 2, 2012 6:39 am

Originally Posted by aster (Post 18679259)
Anyone started using the new UOB Amex PRIVI Miles AMEX yet? :)

Was about to .... then realized Jetstar does not accept Amex :(

aster Jun 4, 2012 7:08 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 18684138)
Yup... so far accepted by all my merchants, with the exception of Chan Brothers - even though their website says they accept all cards aside from Diners and JCB, they told me that "with immediate effect" they have stopped accepting Amex. :td:

Saw a merchant recently that stopped accepting Diners, though they accept all the regular ones + Amex.

Where does JCB figure in all this? Are they treated as a Diners card or totally separate (meaning acceptance can be difficult in some countries)?

tycosiao Jun 4, 2012 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 18619826)
*BREAKING NEWS*

Citi Premiermiles: 2 Citi Miles with every $1 overseas
spend, and 1.2 Citi Miles with every
$1 local spend (no minimum spend
required); 10,000 bonus Citi Miles
upon renewal

But if I have Maybank Horizon VISA (5x points for overseas charges = S$1 = 2 miles), I would prefer to use Maybank because Maybank round up the points, anything greater than S$0.50 gets you 1x5 points.

Say the final S$ after conversion is S$9.50, for Citi PM, you get 18 miles, for Maybank Horizon VISA, you get 50 points = 20 miles!

https://www.citibank.com.sg/gcb/form...e=premierMiles

Any idea when did this came into effect?

Was it with immediate effect as I did a transaction in pounds a few hours after you posted..

without knowing the change in earning ratio..

ak37 Jun 4, 2012 7:03 pm

AFAIK the Citi PremierMiles earning rate change is effective on 18 May 2012. You can dig it up in their terms and conditions somewhere.

Originally Posted by tycosiao (Post 18697303)
Any idea when did this came into effect?

Was it with immediate effect as I did a transaction in pounds a few hours after you posted..

without knowing the change in earning ratio..

tycosiao Jun 4, 2012 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by ak37 (Post 18698096)
AFAIK the Citi PremierMiles earning rate change is effective on 18 May 2012. You can dig it up in their terms and conditions somewhere.

Thanks.

You are absolutely right.

3. ISSUANCE AND REDEMPTION OF CITI MILES
3.1 With effect from 18 May 2012, a cardmember will receive, on a monthly basis, Citi Miles which will be credited to his card account at the rate of 1.2 Citi Miles for every S$1 incurred on local retail purchases charged to his card account and 2 Citi Miles for every S$1 incurred on overseas retail purchases charged to his card account. Retail purchases charged by a supplementary cardmember will be aggregated with the retail purchases charged by a basic cardmember for the purposes of calculating the amount of Citi Miles earned. Supplementary cardmembers will not earn or receive Citi Miles.

enelym1978 Jun 10, 2012 11:22 pm

Finally received my DBS Altitude VISA.

Happy to ditch the KF AmEx as well as my regular Visa... Too many cards in my wallet :p

demue Jun 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Does anyone have any experiences from last year paying income tax via credit card? Worth the hassle?

I understand there maybe an option for this with ANZ or HSBC cards (ignoring UOB here). I would have to apply for the card first so am open to suggestions which one of the two offers the better overall card? I had a look at the HSBC Visa Platinum, but am not certain. (am not a Premier customer s no MC for me)

I understand there are fees involved and that you get 0.4KF mls per S$ at least for HSBC. Still it could yield some okay KF mileage so I'm happy to consider. Currently have Maybank Horizon, Citi Plat & Amex KF Gold (yes I know ;)).

vsepr Jun 12, 2012 12:46 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 18740037)
Does anyone have any experiences from last year paying income tax via credit card? Worth the hassle?

I understand there maybe an option for this with ANZ or HSBC cards (ignoring UOB here). I would have to apply for the card first so am open to suggestions which one of the two offers the better overall card? I had a look at the HSBC Visa Platinum, but am not certain. (am not a Premier customer s no MC for me)

I understand there are fees involved and that you get 0.4KF mls per S$ at least for HSBC. Still it could yield some okay KF mileage so I'm happy to consider. Currently have Maybank Horizon, Citi Plat & Amex KF Gold (yes I know ;)).

You can pay your IRAS income tax with DBS/POSB VISA or MasterCard at AXS machines free of charge and earn points/cashback. The ONLY credit card in Singapore that lets you earn points/cashback for free.

carrotjuice Jun 12, 2012 4:01 pm

May be slightly OT, but I just received a mailer from HSBC Singapore offering me the Visa Infinite with 45,000 Asia Miles signon bonus at a cost of S$488 first year fee + S$42.80 mileage program fee. Normally the signon bonus is 30,000 Asia Miles.

Even if I don't use the card at all (UOB PRVI Amex and DBS Altitude have better miles earning rate for spends) and treat this as a miles purchase scenario, total outlay works out S$530.80 or S$11.80 per 1,000 Asia Miles... seem worth it? Normally to purchase 1,000 Asia Miles costs US$32.50 or approximately S$40.

Heck, it's even better than this HSBC promo (now dead) that the SQTalk forum was raving about a year ago - 1,000 Asia Miles for S$20:
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11347

What do you think?

vsepr Jun 12, 2012 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 18745363)
May be slightly OT, but I just received a mailer from HSBC Singapore offering me the Visa Infinite with 45,000 Asia Miles signon bonus at a cost of S$488 first year fee + S$42.80 mileage program fee. Normally the signon bonus is 30,000 Asia Miles.

Even if I don't use the card at all (UOB PRVI Amex and DBS Altitude have better miles earning rate for spends) and treat this as a miles purchase scenario, total outlay works out S$530.80 or S$11.80 per 1,000 Asia Miles... seem worth it? Normally to purchase 1,000 Asia Miles costs US$32.50 or approximately S$40.

Heck, it's even better than this HSBC promo (now dead) that the SQTalk forum was raving about a year ago - 1,000 Asia Miles for S$20:
http://www.sqtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11347

What do you think?

Yup, I got that mailer too. It's an excellent deal!! I applied for it too but got rejected due to the income requirement.:(

demue Jun 12, 2012 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 18746293)
Yup, I got that mailer too. It's an excellent deal!! I applied for it too but got rejected due to the income requirement.:(

What's the requirement? Also thanks for your feedback on tax payment. I don't have any CC or banking relationship with DBS & UOB. Not too fond of them for certain reasons so that one is out for me. Hence checking on HSBC card.

I guess a simple Plat Visa will do to pay taxes, but the Infinite card maybe interesting (assuming I would be able to get it). Of course the 45K mls offer is even better than the 30K one. Can you convert those miles into KF or only Asia Miles (CX)? The plus of the card to me are those immigration fast track perks if they are really as good as they claim. Anyone has experience with that, e.g. how does work (what channels to use?) and what airports in Asia? Thanks

xinmpg Jun 13, 2012 12:56 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 18746951)
What's the requirement? Also thanks for your feedback on tax payment. I don't have any CC or banking relationship with DBS & UOB. Not too fond of them for certain reasons so that one is out for me. Hence checking on HSBC card.

I guess a simple Plat Visa will do to pay taxes, but the Infinite card maybe interesting (assuming I would be able to get it). Of course the 45K mls offer is even better than the 30K one. Can you convert those miles into KF or only Asia Miles (CX)? The plus of the card to me are those immigration fast track perks if they are really as good as they claim. Anyone has experience with that, e.g. how does work (what channels to use?) and what airports in Asia? Thanks

S$250,000 per year income. I'm shy of that, but will likely apply anyway. ;)

xinmpg Jun 13, 2012 12:58 am

Anyone has experience with that, e.g. how does work (what channels to use?) and what airports in Asia? Thanks

You can use Jet Quay private terminal at Changi. The mailer lists the following airports in Asia for immigration fast-track:

Bali, Bangkok, Delhi, HCMC, Jakarta, KL, Seoul, "and more". (Their words, not mine)

Interestingly they value the use of Jet Quay as S$700 per trip (2x uses, one in one out I assume), but the immigration fast-track at the other airports at S$900.

vsepr Jun 13, 2012 1:10 am

Income requirement I think it's $125,000 per annum. You can convert to both Asia Miles & KrisFlyer. I only keen on the 45000 bonus miles, not interested in the immigration fast track.