Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HR St. Louis at The Arch (formerly Waterfront) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2008, 5:19 pm
trd
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond

Maybe I missed this but this was news to me. Which hotel was rebranded? (Adam's Mark??);

press release:
Hyatt Regency St. Louis To Get $63 Million Renovation
4/10/2008 3:30:41 PM

Now proudly flying the Hyatt flag to signify its new management, the Hyatt Regency St. Louis Riverfront today announced that will undertake a $63 million renovation of its guestrooms, suites, public areas and restaurants. The renovation of the 910-room hotel, located at the base of the famed Gateway Arch, will commence in the fall of 2008.

“We are thrilled to have a world-class hotel chain like Hyatt anchoring this exciting area of St. Louis,” said Kathleen Ratcliffe, president, St. Louis Convention and Visitors Bureau. “This premier downtown location, within walking distance of major attractions, coupled with the Hyatt name, will position our organization to promote the city more effectively to both business and leisure travelers.”

Design work for the $63 million renovation has already begun. The hotel will be transformed from floor to ceiling, with each guestroom, bathroom and corridor undergoing a complete redesign. Key elements of the redesign include a warm color palette, rich wood, leather furnishings and detailed, contemporary accessories. Each guestroom will be appointed with modern amenities including: Hyatt’s signature Grand Bed™; a new iHome™ clock radio featuring an iPod® docking station, seven time zone settings and automatic alarm reset; an oversized desk; and Guestek high speed internet access.

One of the highlights of the hotel’s multi-million-dollar transformation will be the new StayFit@Hyatt health club. The 24-hour health club will cater to health-conscious business and leisure travelers and feature the latest high-tech cardio and strength-training equipment from industry leader Life Fitness®. The hotel will also upgrade its meeting space, lobby, three dining outlets and building exteriors to complement the new guestroom décor.
“This extensive renovation we are embarking on truly signifies Hyatt’s commitment to the city,” said Steve Wilson, general manager, Hyatt Regency St. Louis Riverfront. “St. Louis is a very exciting market for Hyatt and we are thrilled to expand our presence here offering the quality of service our guests have come to expect.”
The renovation is expected to be complete by mid 2009.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 7:12 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

News to me too - but thanks for posting - I'll add it to the "master list".
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:53 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by trd
Which hotel was rebranded? (Adam's Mark??);
Yes, this is the former Adams Mark....and I would strongly recommend avoiding the property until renovations have been made as the property is quite a dump at present.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:51 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs up Thumbs up for the St. Louis Riverfront Hyatt

I am writing from this property right now. I stayed here twice this past week, and although the furniture is old, the service has been beyond great, and the food is excellent as well. The property is located right in front of the Arch, literally accross the street from it, and the views from the rooms are breathtaking. I had the Arch View room the first time, and today I got upgraded to the Club room because they didn't have any other clean rooms. While I was at the Club Lounge they had displays of the new designs for bathrooms and rooms, and all I can say is - this will be the best hotel in St. Louis next year. They told me they will start the renovations in September 08, and it will take a little over a year for the entire hotel to be done.
I will definitively stay again, I don't really care about the furniture, it does have the best location and awesome views, not to mention the awesome hotel staff and service. ^
Old Aug 4, 2008, 9:30 pm

While the hotel is quite dated from its Adam's Mark days, the rooms are clean and everything is functional. The $60 million renovation is needed but is already in planning.

Stayed this past weekend. It was a madhouse with Cardinals fans checking in and out (500 rooms out, 500 rooms in per day) badly overtaxing housekeeping and valet parking. They need to get a handle on this right away.

With that said, if you have a problem, I want to let you know your "go to" guy is Munir Salem. He is terrific and will solve any problem on the spot.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 1:58 pm

Looking to stay in St. Louis and visit family during Thanksgiving week. Any advice or recent reviews about this property that can be offered?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
Originally Posted by milirope
all I can say is - this will be the best hotel in St. Louis next year. ^
Other than the Ritz and Four Seasons, of course!
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
I stayed at this hotel last week. It was an Adam's Mark with a Hyatt sign. The room was dated, complete with archaic furniture and bathroom fixtures. I was surprised the T.V. even broadcast in color. With that said, the staff was very nice; I was upgraded to a large room overlooking the Arch and had lounge access (Diamond). The RC was also dated, but did have a decent offering of food in a very uncrowded setting.

For the price, despite the shortcomings, you can't go wrong. If you want luxury, however, the Four Seasons wins.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:31 am

Thanks cmhua777. No luxury needed this time around. Sure can't beat the price for FFN! Have they started the renovations yet? Noisy construction? I read in an earlier post they were starting in September.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by MsJetSet
Looking to stay in St. Louis and visit family during Thanksgiving week. Any advice or recent reviews about this property that can be offered?
For a more unique stay you might try the Union Station hotel in its last few days of being a Hyatt. Cheap some nights over Thanksgiving also.

Was really nice when I was there a few years ago. I'm tempted to go myself one last time for half an FFN (speaking of which, if you changed hotels you could earn a full FFN), but I'm tired of flying.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by MsJetSet
Thanks cmhua777. No luxury needed this time around. Sure can't beat the price for FFN! Have they started the renovations yet? Noisy construction? I read in an earlier post they were starting in September.
When I checked in I was given a letter that advised that renovations were underway and that there was a potential for noise. I can't recall the exact window for the noise potential, but it was normal (9am - 5pm, or so). During my stay, I did not hear anything construction related, though I wasn't in the hotel much during the daylight hours.

I do not believe they have any rooms renovated yet.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 6:46 pm

Thanks!

Point well made and taken jayer. Thanks for the info. Maybe we'll cross paths in our travels. I actually got an generated email subsequent to making my reservation. Renovations apparently start tomorrow....

To Whom It May Concern:

I've noticed you have a reservation or you've made a reservation with us at The Hyatt Regency St Louis Riverfront in November. Thank you for choosing us! Please read the attached memo regarding our exciting renovations that will soon be taking place. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact the hotel and we will be more than happen to assist you.

Sincerely,

Staci Durbala
Reservations Manager

Attached was another letter.

October 20, 2008

Good Day:

Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Regency St. Louis Riverfront. We are excited that you have selected us for your upcoming visit to the Gateway City. We wanted to take the time to update you on some exciting things that will be happening at the hotel prior to your arrival and throughout your stay.

Beginning October 28, 2008 through May 2008, the hotel will be embarking on a $63 million renovation of the hotel guest rooms and public areas, including the restaurants, bar, and meeting space.

We are very excited about the changes that will be occurring in the upcoming months. Upon completion of this project, Hyatt Regency St. Louis will be the premier Leisure, Business and Meeting hotel in the city of St. Louis. In addition to the sleek modern look that will be given to all 910 Guestrooms and Suites, the Ballrooms and Public Space will undergo dramatic improvements. There will also be dynamic additions, including two breathtaking meeting rooms on the 18th floor, a business Center and a state of the art Hyatt StayFit Workout facility on the first floor. In the Food and Beverage arena, we will be adding a Steakhouse, a Sports Bar, and a new lobby Dining Room and Bar as well as a Coffee Shop.

There is a link on our website, www.stlouisriverfront.hyatt.com, that will be updated frequently which will allow you to check on our progress. As you can see, with the many new amenities and new look, Hyatt Regency St. Louis Riverfront is the place to be when visiting the Gateway City. If there is anything that our staff or I can do to make your stay more enjoyable, please contact us directly though the hotel Operator.

Thank you again for selecting the Hyatt Regency St. Louis Riverfront. We are delighted to provide you with the best in service and accommodations, and hope that you truly enjoy your visit.

Cordially,

Todd Costin

Last edited by MsJetSet; Nov 23, 2008 at 6:11 am Reason: Spelling correction
Old Nov 23, 2008, 5:21 am

Cool Update: Prepare for "An Unrecognizeable" Hyatt STL Riverfront!

Having just completed a one night stay here, one word comes to mind, wow.

I checked in and was given my key package, diamond amenity card, and a letter concerning the renovations. They began on October 30th. Currently the rooms are being done and by floor. Floors 17 and 18 are up first, with 15 and 16 are closed down to eliminate subsequent noise. RC is not open since it is located on one of those floors. The desk agent told me to head to the lobby restaurant Chestnut’s in the morning and order off the menu for my “free” breakfast.

I was given a high floor (12th floor) arch view king. The view of the arch, the park, and the Mississippi was wonderful and the room was clean. The furniture was “broken in”, but not totally worn, tube television. The carpet was frayed and slightly stained, but nothing major. Two of my room’s four walls were mainly window. The panes appear to be thick but not double paned causing a bit of a draft and occasional zoom of traffic to be heard.

Outside, the VIP entrance (on 4th St., leading to Memorial Drive), has scaffolding overhead and alongside the building. There is a big rig parked. Inside it were loud pumping generators feeding cords back into one of the hotel’s side entrances. The restaurant Pierre’s appears to be completely closed. Its driveway blocked off with caution tape, yellow hazard signs, and red cones. The concrete drive is jack hammered, dug up, and overturned. In the lobby, there is a designated alcove with posted foam board adorned with carpet, bedding, curtain, and paint swatches. Brown leather like headboards. There are also photos of what the king and double room will look like. Very modern and sleek. Neutrals like creams and browns with splashes of crimson. There is also a television displaying video of a virtual tour of the completed layout.

The printout of the floor plan I was given includes the following: a Starbucks store (not a cart or counter), UPS Store, Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse(Perhaps replacing Pierre’s), Brew House, an “All new 3-Meal Restaurant and Lobby Lounge”(replacing Chestnuts), an “All New Gift Shop”, a “New Front Drive”, and a Hyatt Stayfit Center.

I ordered a salad and pepsi in room to hold me over until I met family for dinner after sightseeing. It was heirloom tomato and mozzarella salad with balsamic and olive oil dressing and cracked black pepper. Thick slices of tomato and mozzarella proved reasonable for 8 dollars. It was not advertised as such, but it tasted like buffalo mozz. It was delicious. About 45 min later, In Room Dining called up and asked how the meal was and if they could come retrieve the tray. Nice gesture.

The next morning, feeling lazy and not wanting to occupy a whole table since I was dining alone, I called down to check if I could take my meal in my room. I was told I could. I ordered Salmon Benedict garnished with capers, a Belgian waffle topped with fruit and syrup, and OJ (Yummo). The bill came to about $50 after tax and voluntary tip (I left extra aside from the included gratuity). Once again I received a call asking about my meal, tray retrieval, and this time, a well wish that I had enjoyed my stay as well as the food since it was noted I was due to checkout. When I reviewed my bill it noted a $36 credit (noted as Chestnut Breakfast Adjustment). I was told this was standard for Diamond Breakfast in the restaurant dining “outside of the RC”. Not sure if I would have received this had the RC been open, but it was fine by me since I basically paid a portion of the tax and tip.

Upon checking out, as I noticed in my frequent trips in and out the ENTIRE staff was completely attentive to guests, personable, courteous, and even jubilant. Many were also excited about the renovations. The front desk agent that checked me out insisted that I come back next summer; she said “I promise. You won’t even recognize us!” This is another hotel in which the service surpasses the “rundown” structure, therefore making it “unnoticeable”! I also have pictures if it will help.

Sidenote: The Arch and surrounding park, the museum under the Arch and the Dred Scott Courthouse Museum are must-sees if you stay at Hyatt Riverfront. Both are walking distance from the hotel.

Last edited by MsJetSet; Nov 23, 2008 at 5:24 am Reason: Add note
Old Mar 4, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
any updates regarding the progress of the renovations? i have a stay at the end of the month and I was wondering if some of the new rooms have been released, and if the RC is now open....
Old Mar 4, 2009, 5:53 pm

Programs: Too Many to Count
Originally Posted by bsb21
Other than the Ritz and Four Seasons, of course!
I'd add to that the Westin as well...before they got rid of their lounge

The Four Seasons is hard to beat, though. I've never stayed at the St Louis Ritz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.