Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What is this doublespeak phrase "Pub Service"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2019, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.

Some folks here on FlyerTalk have mentioned the phrase"Pub Service".

"Pub Service" has been used as if the phrase itself is a full and complete explanation why passengers are getting less food and drink.

It seems to me that I am getting the flowdown of corporate newspeak that has meaning to the airline but these new limited offerings weren't communicated to the existing and potential customers.

I don't see that phrase defined. What flights have "pub service". And where is it defined for the buying public?
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Some folks here on FlyerTalk have mentioned the phrase"Pub Service".

"Pub Service" has been used as if the phrase itself is a full and complete explanation why passengers are getting less food and drink.

It seems to me that I am getting the flowdown of corporate newspeak that has meaning to the airline but these new limited offerings weren't communicated to the existing and potential customers.

I don't see that phrase defined. What flights have "pub service". And where is it defined for the buying public?
I have no idea where it's defined for the buying public. Pub service includes orange juice, water and a beer and wine for sale in the main cabin. First Class is a full beverage service.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I have no idea where it's defined for the buying public. Pub service includes orange juice, water and a beer and wine for sale in the main cabin. First Class is a full beverage service.
What please is your source for that Pub Service definition? Is it based on your personal experience from being told after being on the airplane?
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:02 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
What please is your source for that Pub Service definition? Is it based on your personal experience from being told after being on the airplane?
AS Flyer has a pretty good line on details. I’d trust the info posted here.
AS Flyer and jinglish like this.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:59 pm

I've got a pretty good inside source
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is simply an annoying deception and nothing more. Given that AS has lengthy descriptions of his service standard and even notes that its very short flights have limited beverage service, it does nothing more than annoy passengers to create a fake term which says nothing and is not defined in the service standard:

"Note: our short shuttle flights between Seattle-Portland and Seattle-Spokane offer limited beverage service."

There is nothing wrong with this statement. It is informative and lets the customer know what he will get. "Pub service" sounds like a lager with a steak & kidney pie.
jsguyrus likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm guessing you have view signatures turned off. He works for AS.

My thoughts here are mine alone. I do not represent Alaska Airlines on this forum or speak on behalf of the company
PaperGlider and jinglish like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Often1
"Note: our short shuttle flights between Seattle-Portland and Seattle-Spokane offer limited beverage service."

There is nothing wrong with this statement. It is informative and lets the customer know what he will get. "Pub service" sounds like a lager with a steak & kidney pie.
Yes, but it sounds like these "pub service" flights are growing beyond this limited bev service statement. AS should publicly provide an indication of the specific city pairs or a flight mileage number that triggers the limited service offering. If they want to re-brand it as pub service, fine too, but some consistency and clarity for fliers would be helpful, especially when factoring in (paid or otherwise) upgrades to premium class, etc.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Yes, but it sounds like these "pub service" flights are growing beyond this limited bev service statement. AS should publicly provide an indication of the specific city pairs or a flight mileage number that triggers the limited service offering. If they want to re-brand it as pub service, fine too, but some consistency and clarity for fliers would be helpful, especially when factoring in (paid or otherwise) upgrades to premium class, etc.
Exactly. A little honesty goes a long way. Pub Service means nothing unless it is defined and it is reasonable to presume that AS has created this service standard because it knows that passengers won't like it.

What passengers like even less than not having a beverage choice is not knowing in advance.
jjmadison and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... it is reasonable to presume that AS has created this service standard because it knows that passengers won't like it.
say WHAT? you REALLY believe that EVERY decision an airline implements is INTENTIONALLY customer-hostile?
What passengers like even less than not having a beverage choice a change in service level is not knowing in advance.
fixed that
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jrl767
say WHAT? you REALLY believe that EVERY decision an airline implements is INTENTIONALLY customer-hostile?

fixed that
Why defend the indefensible?

Of course AS did this intentionally. It's not a typo and it didn't get stuck in the wrong place, the sort of error which is clearly unintentional and can be fixed quite easily. It's a nonsensical term which equates to lessened service and it's a fair inference that AS did not want to say so.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Googling for "pub service" and Alaska Air, came up with some results.

http://www.airtimes.com/cgat/usa/alaska/ar/as2000.pdf

Pub service used to describe the Horizon Air level of service in the 2000 Alaska Air Group Annual report.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=948689

A post from A.net with a familiar name from 2002

These days it gets what AS calls their “Pub Service” – coffee and orange, apple or cranberry juice in back, and pretty much whatever beverage you desire up front
So while perhaps not used in recent years, it also doesn't appear to be a brand new term either for limited beverage service. That's aside from changing levels of service and the communication, or lack thereof.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 6:51 pm

Exactly. A little honesty goes a long way. Pub Service means nothing unless it is defined and it is reasonable to presume that AS has created this service standard because it knows that passengers won't like it.

What passengers like even less than not having a beverage choice is not knowing in advance.
Your argument really doesn't have any legs. The term "Pub Service" is just an internal term for a limited beverage service. I don't see anything anywhere that says "Pub Service" as advertised to passengers. In fact, the only thing with respect to service I see at all is meal service. I don't see anywhere they guarantee a beverage service on any flight - or lack of. It may be nice for you to know if there is going to be a beverage offered, and at least one airline does show if a "refreshment" is offered - but even that doesn't indicate if it's a water service or a full beverage service. It's completely absurd to say that Alaska specifically does anything just to anger passengers. Nobody anywhere in the company is sitting around thinking or saying, "Hmmmmm, how can we make our passengers more angry and irritate them".
philemer, writerguyfl and jinglish like this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
... It's completely absurd to say that Alaska specifically does anything just to anger passengers. Nobody anywhere in the company is sitting around thinking or saying, "Hmmmmm, how can we make our passengers more angry and irritate them".
thanks for more eloquently emphasizing my original point ...
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Your argument really doesn't have any legs. The term "Pub Service" is just an internal term for a limited beverage service. I don't see anything anywhere that says "Pub Service" as advertised to passengers. In fact, the only thing with respect to service I see at all is meal service. I don't see anywhere they guarantee a beverage service on any flight - or lack of. It may be nice for you to know if there is going to be a beverage offered, and at least one airline does show if a "refreshment" is offered - but even that doesn't indicate if it's a water service or a full beverage service. It's completely absurd to say that Alaska specifically does anything just to anger passengers. Nobody anywhere in the company is sitting around thinking or saying, "Hmmmmm, how can we make our passengers more angry and irritate them".
Then, when I ask for some fancy cocktail, and then when the FA responds, "what, do you think this is a bar?," would it be wrong to me to reply "well, I thought this was pub service!"
AS Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.