Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > SAS | EuroBonus
Reload this Page >

Please Post Your EBG Upgrade Successes!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Post Your EBG Upgrade Successes!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:29 pm

Programs: EBD, AB OWS (Gold)
Just returned from ORD yesterday on flight that was fully booked in economy class. I was traveling with my teenage two daughters and one of their friends. My daughters were on bonus tickets, and were the only ones that had seats (27AB). I asked at check-in if we could get at least the 2 remaining seats together. The person that checked us in was new, and the supervisor who was helping her said that she would try to get us some seats together. At the gate she told me that she had upgraded all four of us to Y+. (15DE & 16DE)

Very nice start for the new staff at ORD.

We had the same situation on the flight from CPH, but didn't get upgraded.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: Various
Travelled from TXL to ARN yesterday and the flight must have been full in M because I was upgraded to Y+. Got the exit row seat without a seat in front on the way down so I'm happy.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 1:49 am

Programs: EBG
Upgrades..

Oct 28th: CPH-FCO from T-class to Y+
Nov 2nd: FCO-CPH from L-class to C

Old Nov 3, 2009, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by VirreVapp
Oct 28th: CPH-FCO from T-class to Y+
Nov 2nd: FCO-CPH from L-class to C

Because of a full flight or because of Pandion? Do they upgrade Pandions even if the class booked is not full?

BFN
Old Nov 14, 2009, 9:35 am

Programs: LH Sen, AF Plat, EK Silver, BA Silver, CX Silver
upgrade priority

hello to everyone

do you know if airlines publish a sort of upgrade rules with the type of customers given priority?
In general, you ever more chances to be upgraded from eco to bus if you have paid a high eco fare or if you are a top-tier member of the airline / alliance?

Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2009, 3:44 am

Programs: EY Silver, SPG Platinum
Never upgraded on SK, but upgraded a good number of times on other *A partners, particularly on LH, TK, UA, etc.

Last 2 upgrades were last week from TK going IST to MAD and then MAD to IST a few days later, upgraded both times from Economy to Business. The Economy fare with TK was only E class which is a discounted fare, but still a little flexible (cancellation and change for a fee) but it was clear at the gate they were only upgrading *A Gold's due to operational reasons of Economy being overbooked.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 11:54 pm

Lately

Nov 2nd. From Economy to Business. Rome to Copenhagen
Nov 3rd. From eco extra to Business. Copenhagen to London
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:37 pm

Programs: Qatar G,FB Silver, EBS, SPG LTG
Smile Upgrades

I have used Sky Team for years, as i got enough of arrogance from Sk 7-8 years ago. But for a year now i have tested Star Alliance again (became EGB last year), and on a trip in May this year from NRT to CPH i got upgraded at the gate from Y+ to C - nice.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G & Centurion
Just out of curiosity; how were you dressed the last time you received a complimentary upgrade?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:24 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Robbiedeluxe
Just out of curiosity; how were you dressed the last time you received a complimentary upgrade?
I think that's an old wives' tale to be honest. How you are dressed makes no difference these days... Upgrades are most of the time pre-decided by whatever factors the airline takes into consideration (i.e. ticket type, number of flights you take every year, FF status etc)...

I have also read somewhere that your PNR can hold info on if you have been complaining etc, but how the airlines handle these are a different story (upgrade or not).

I guess to have the biggest chance the following should be considered:

1. Take a flight that's very popular time wise (= over booked possibility)
2. Choose a day of the week where not many business people travel (= opens up for seats in C).
3. Hold the next highest status in the alliance of which you're flying. The highest status PAX will most likely still be up front, not always so with the tier just below.
4. Believe it or not, travel two together (lots of Y PAX travel in couples)

These were the conditions when I got upgraded on a different Alliance flight other than *A to Korea 4 weeks ago
Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:47 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by Cupart
I think that's an old wives' tale to be honest. How you are dressed makes no difference these days... Upgrades are most of the time pre-decided by whatever factors the airline takes into consideration (i.e. ticket type, number of flights you take every year, FF status etc)...
Believe it or not fellow Flyertalker Outbound was flying LH South America -> Germany and was about to receive an opup Y to C. Before this the gate agent asked to see his wife though and said that unless she changes to something else than jeans the opup will not happen. One quick visit to the overpriced neighbouring clothes store later the couple sat in C.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G & Centurion
Funny, when I received an op-up from GRU to FRA (on LH as well) two years ago, I was told I was wearing "muy elegante" clothing. I was just a lousy EBG at the time (no LH status whatsoever), so I assume clothing is important at least in some parts of the world.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 5:24 am

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
I have been op-up'ped as SEN with LH from GRU wearing very casual clothes, including Havaianas...
Old Nov 18, 2009, 7:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
I was wearing nothing special other than what I wear daily (jeans and a T-Shirt) all clean and no BO - The carrier was KE and looking around the other PAX no one were dressed up at all...

Would I have been turned away with a fully bought C ticket in hand if I was not wearing the correct clothing? Highly doubt it...

The whole "must wear special clothing" for getting bumped up is such an 80's thing IMHO
Old Nov 19, 2009, 4:04 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Eurobonus
I've been bumped from Economy or Economy Extra to Business on 3 out of 4 longhaul trips this year. It has nothing to do with clothes and everything to do with status - I had no upgrades last year as EBS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.